Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats been your favourite gig of 2013

Default Whats been your favourite gig of 2013

on reflection of 2013 what would you say gas been your best gig?

All of my weddings have been great but the one that I enjoyed the most was way back in April, it was a Dutch couple who came over here to get married, and what a party it was. I did my research into the Dutch music scene, and had a full dance floor all night, it was one of these nights where I could do no wrong and have played on passed midnight and everyone would still be up for it.

Here is a video clip from that same event

http://youtu.be/doeVTjb4A7U

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    I did my research into the Dutch music scene,
    Pah, amateur!! You mean you weren't already fully conversant with its subtle nuances? I bet you didn't even play Windmill in Old Amsterdam.

I've had some gems this year. A string of teen parties at a village hall in midsummer, one in particular where the birthday girl's Mum said " She's been to all her mate's parties, and kept a book on the DJs. Only one got five stars".

A 60th birthday in Harrogate, where I was on with a great live band, wore fancy dress, and played 70's all night.

My first boat trip disco, which went so well.

My two most favourite were an all day Humanist Wedding, in a marquee by a river in Ripon, in a field with Alpacas. Awful weather, lovely people, great day, and probably best of all, an 18th party for a girl who didn't really want a party. Grim load in, and the nicest bunch of 18 year olds I've ever met. Played anything and everything, had an absolute ball, and had half the kit carried out for me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I did a 30th birthday back in April and despite the lady only having been born in 1983 it was an 80's fancy dress and she was very insistent that I ONLY play songs from that decade and on no account play anything before or after !
    The eighties was when I was in my prime and I was a resident DJ at our local Reflex bar for 3 years but even I was worried about filling a whole night with just eighties, no need it turned out to be probably the best night I've had in the last ten years. That decade has so many different genres of music and it was great to hear songs I haven't played for years. One of the highlights were people stood on tables singing and dancing to Boy meets girl, waiting for a star to fall ? Bizarre.
    The only downer on the night was when I was driving home thinking of songs I could've/should've played, damn!!
    Top Top night, if they were all like that I'd do them for free, ha!

Two that I really enjoyed first one was a 50th birthday all the guests were dressed in 60s gear flower power or mini skirts etc and the birthday girl was most insistent 60s music only , not that easy to do for 5 hours but turned out a great night.

Second one an end of season / xmas party for a local bowls club mostly 60s to 80s music with a lot of tunes couples to could dance together , mostly older people many who danced all night nice atmosphere and I was booked at the end of the night for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    but even I was worried about filling a whole night with just eighties, no need it turned out to be probably the best night I've had in the last ten years.
    I did one in September, and thought exactly the same. Afterwards, I couldn't believe how spoilt for choice I'd been. There really was a lot of variety in that decade.

As I said on the Facebook group Gary, it's hard to pick one but the Yorkhill (sick kids hospital) fundraiser in April a girl had instead of an 18th was a cracking night - tonnes of money raised, everyone had a blast and as a teacher, I get to see the best and the worst of kids on a daily basis and this was definitely one of those times I thought - "maybe we're not doomed as a race after all"

Band gigs - Insider festival where I got to cut about like a bit of a hippy wastrel for a weekend with my djembe drum, full on authentic Saudi dress (the theme was around the world and the 30 odd piece band all went as different nationalities and being the only member who's ever had the misfortune to live in that particular hole, I got the short straw) and copious amounts of cider. It was so much fun and such a muso fest that providing I've no gigs on that weekend I'll be going back next year even if it's just as a punter.

A close second was Wickerman as apart from getting to take it in for free, it not only remind me of T in the Park when I went as a lad (before it turned into an overhyped, over priced, regurgitated ned fest) cool to see Chic absolutely storm it, cut around with an artist / VIP bar pass looking a bit smug and we got a great reception.

Roll on 2014

Not exactly spoiled for choice as I've only done the one since last NYE..... but what a cracker !! .
    My annual night out with the naturists, in November..... highlights being that during the raffle interval they started by presenting me with a card and a bottle of bubbly and a speech thanking me for five years of wonderful entertainment followed by a standing ovation. Also at the end a lady dragging her bemused husband up to the stage and telling me excitedly that he had danced more on that single night than in 40 years of marriage collectively.
    A great way to finish on a high, but the phones are now permanently on the peg.
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by par6 View Post
    I did a 30th birthday back in April and despite the lady only having been born in 1983 it was an 80's fancy dress and she was very insistent that I ONLY play songs from that decade and on no account play anything before or after !
    The eighties was when I was in my prime and I was a resident DJ at our local Reflex bar for 3 years but even I was worried about filling a whole night with just eighties, no need it turned out to be probably the best night I've had in the last ten years. That decade has so many different genres of music and it was great to hear songs I haven't played for years. One of the highlights were people stood on tables singing and dancing to Boy meets girl, waiting for a star to fall ? Bizarre.
    The only downer on the night was when I was driving home thinking of songs I could've/should've played, damn!!
    Top Top night, if they were all like that I'd do them for free, ha!
    Mine was also an eighties night. A gig I did for one of Mary's friends, so she got it at mates rates. That didn't matter as it was a truly memorable night. All of my best gigs always include a huge chunk of eighties music. This particular night was fancy dress a red hot evening in July and boy were her guests up for a good time. Once you get started on a decade you love it's amazing what tracks spring to mind. I didn't get a single request that night as they just left me to get on with it. The highlight of the night was when I played the 8.5 minute version of Male Stripper by Man 2 Man meets Man Parrish. I wish I'd videoed the dance floor. The sights were something to behold and something I'll happily take to my grave with me. I've often fired up VDJ on my lappy and played that entire set from the archives and still get a buzz when I listen to it.

I've noticed apart from Gary no-one else on here so far has said their favourite gig was a wedding.

Edit: Sorry scratch that. Peter did a humanist wedding. Whatever one of them is
    Last edited by STEVE HANLEY; 31-12-2013 at 12:14 PM.

www.accessallareasdisco.co.uk

Proud members of the NADJ

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE HANLEY View Post
    Edit: Sorry scratch that. Peter did a humanist wedding. Whatever one of them is
    I'll freely admit I had to Google it first. The quotes seem to agree with my understanding of it

Even though I normally regard Weddings as being among my least favourite gigs, I must say that a couple of them are probably in my all time favourite gigs.
    One in a marquee where every half hour someone came up to make sure I was fed and watered ( Well fed. I had the same sit down as the guests, lovely ) the crowd were just lovely, and I got the nicest thank you letter afterwards.

More surprising, the city centre hotel one I covered for Twinspin, where the entire crowd were an absolute pleasure to deal with, danced to everything, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

If I can be greedy I'd like to pick my 3 favourite gigs from the year.

One was a wedding I did at a very posh venue back in the summer. It gave me a chance to use the subs for once and the playlist / request list was mainly Indie/Alternative/Electronic/Mash Ups. Every guest was into it and it was a belter of a night. 1.00am finish with the dance floor still busy. It was also a really hot day yet people stayed inside to dance.

The other one was also a wedding at one of my regular venues outside town. The guests were some of the nicest people I've ever met and the whole vibe was really cool.
    Again, the music was like the above wedding but they also wanted a scattering of cheesiness too in the last hour. Everyone was up for it and I received lots of praise and a couple of bookings for 2014 from it too.

The final one was an 80s Night that I did in a marquee in the grounds of someone's house for a birthday party just before the summer. The vibe was great. I was looked after really well. I didn't get one request all night and just did my thing and had a packed dance floor for most of the night. Got another booking from that one aswell.