Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much For Set Ups?

Default How Much For Set Ups?

I am a Wedding DJ in Wiltshire and was wondering what you think a reasonable price per hour would be to charge for my set up, this post may be used for people to judge others on proving aswell? But I'd like to know what you think I should be charging per hour for my Smallest Sized Rig?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi! Welcome to the forum.

As a new forum member, we'd appreciate it if you could pop over to the "Newbies" section and give us a short introduction and a few details about yourself. You'll find that there's a wealth of experience here and our members are more likely to interact with you if they know a little bit about you first.

Check out this link as it tells you all you need to know!

New To The Forum

Also, it's forum policy that all users register with their real names. See Forum Rule 26 here: The Rules. Therefore, to keep in line with the rules, I'd be grateful if you could update your profile with this information. This can be done by clicking on the "Settings" option at the top of the page.

Once you've done that, I'll think people will be along to give you some good tips and advice. However, I also think you're opening a can of worms here as, in general, people don't value a DJ by the equipment they use but by their DJing skills and ability to create a good, entertaining atmosphere. I mean a DJ is there to provide music at an event to allow people to dance. How (s)he does that is up to that particular DJ. You wouldn't expect to pay a plumber more just because he uses a better brand of wrench, would you? The tools of the job are, largely, irrelevant. It's the persona and the skills of the DJ that create value in the service they provide. And a picture of your setup gives us no indication whatsoever of your skills, your experience or your personality, so, on the subject of "I'd like to know what you think I should be charging per hour for my Smallest Sized Rig?", I'll have to say "I'm out"!!

There are lots of threads on how to price up your service. Try using the search facility and have a good read!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

That's a hefty old rig to be your smallest. Lots of folk charge a sizeable sum for a rig with one or sometimes two lighting effects. Bigger doesn't always equal better, or more expensive. A conundrum.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I'll admit, way back in the day I used to value my worth by the amount of gear I took to a show. Thanks to forums like this I soon realised I was looking at the big picture all wrong. The value in my business wasn't down to how many lighting units I could pack onto my rig, but more to do with the experience, professionalism and value of my own skillset. As such, my setup has become streamlined (which is good news for my tired old back), much more aesthetically pleasing and in turn very quick to setup. Plus my fee has gained exponentially. Good news all round.

All in all I concur the the comments from Dazzy. The tools of the job aren't the be all and end all. Sure they are an important part, but your "worth" should be based on far far more.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to your introduction post in the newbie section that Dazzy linked to in his post.
    Last edited by Shaun; 06-01-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikmania View Post
    I am a Wedding DJ in Wiltshire and was wondering what you think a reasonable price per hour would be to charge for my set up
    Charge for your time and experience, not for the size of show.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Charge for your time and experience, not for the size of show.
    Experience may yet teach you the wisdom of that advice. It is not necessary to have twelve lighting effects on the truss to create an impressive show. My biggest one has five, and that's two more than the standard show.

Believe me, you'll soon learn that the highest fees on here aren't charged by the folk who put out the biggest shows. As Darren ( Solitaire )has said more than once " work smarter, not harder. "
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Price per hour - that's always a difficult one as you can calculate it many ways. Are you counting admin, preparation, travel time, set-up/take-down or just playing time? What do you do when someone only wants a disco for 3 hours? Do you have a minimum fee to avoid going out too cheaply?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    Price per hour - that's always a difficult one as you can calculate it many ways. Are you counting admin, preparation, travel time, set-up/take-down or just playing time? What do you do when someone only wants a disco for 3 hours? Do you have a minimum fee to avoid going out too cheaply?
    We usually aim for atleast a minimum of £35 per hour... we have been told this is a low price when compared to others? And for the 3 hour would be £105.. what do you think?

We usually aim for atleast a minimum of £35 per hour... we have been told this is a low price when compared to others? And for the 3 hour would be £105.. what do you think?
    The main thing is if you are happy with that its fine but i thing its Very low

There are so many operating and business costs to consider when evaluating pricing. Work out what your operating/running costs are then work out what profit margin you would like per gig, and you'll have a better idea of what you need to be charging.

This thread should help ---> http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...ted-your-costs
    Last edited by Shaun; 06-01-2014 at 10:59 PM.