Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Website - your thoughts appreciated

Default New Website - your thoughts appreciated

After an expensive and upsetting false start with another shall-remain-nameless designer ("like, don't even go there")...

...I've used a "local shop for local people" ;-) and my newly rebranded website is now just about live.

There's still a fair amount of background SEO work to do, and i need to replace some stock images as and when I get a decent one of my own, but I would really appreciate any time you have for comments. (Positive or constructive.)

There bound to be more than a few spelling/typos errors, so I'm working through these slowly but surely but: anything misstippeed (sic) that jumps out or doesn't read well, please let me know.

Please be both candid but gentle. ;-)

http://www.jonpaulentertainments.com/

Cheers y'all, and happy New Year.

J.P.

I like the layout - easy to navigate and some really good media showcasing your talents. Overall very informative.

The only thing I wasn't keen on is the pink text - I would have thought that black would stand out a lot better?

On a cursory skim through, I have to say I'm impressed with the site. I like it a lot. I hope that when I eventually give the designer of my new site enough info to do that, it impresses me as much.

Re the side text colour, Darren's right, the pink isn't really striking enough. Me, I'd prefer a deep blue ( not black, as you want to delineate it from the main body of text )

Nice site.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I like, very nice indeed, good content.

Only critique I could offer would be to decide on a I or We/Us approach and stick to it. Some links/articles suggest We/Our/Us, some talk about Me and I.

Nice site! It's very clean, well laid out and easy to find what you're looking for.

When I read the comments about the pink text, I thought "It can't be that bad". But when I saw the site, I first thought it was the menu text at the top turning pink when hovered over. And I thought "It's not that bad. It's bold enough to read". Then I saw (well, I say "saw" but...) the pink text on the "Featured Feedback" and could hardly see it. I do have poor (and deteriorating) vision so others might see it better but I would change it's colour for "ease of access" purposes. If I can hardly make it out then there will be other site visitors in the same boat.

Just my opinion!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Rubbish.

Only joking (its already in my "good websites section") thats very nice I especially like the people on the top right.
    Nice to see the bog frog course has even put to good use. Great use of colour and information.

Whats the main difference between simple evening party and mobile disco as you will shoot yourself in the foot with that one.
    I would go for the later as its £200 less, but looks similar. The all day would benefit from a hour as you will find your doing loads of 12 hours for £900. the people who are getting married at 3pm will then be asking for a discount.
    Last edited by yourdj; 07-01-2014 at 03:01 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I find comments like 'If you want something different to some scruffy 80s-style pub DJ playing his own rubbish choices' very patronising. You can completely remove it and the following paragraph reads so much better.

And using normal, bold and italic font in the same paragraph is a bit too much formatting.
    Last edited by funkymook; 07-01-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Great stuff guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Only critique I could offer would be to decide on a I or We/Us approach and stick to it. Some links/articles suggest We/Our/Us, some talk about Me and I.
    Noted: I'm going to have to work through these...

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Then I saw (well, I say "saw" but...) the pink text on the "Featured Feedback" and could hardly see it. I do have poor (and deteriorating) vision so others might see it better but I would change it's colour for "ease of access" purposes. If I can hardly make it out then there will be other site visitors in the same boat.

Just my opinion!
    Valid & welcomed. It seems you're not alone here... and although i've been told it's partly down to screen resolutions/warmth & colour setting etc it is clearly something needs looking at.
    I'll speak with the developer....perhaps a darker background in the placeholder boxes would help it stand out better? Thoughts welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Whats the main difference between simple evening party and mobile disco as you will shoot yourself in the foot with that one.
    I would go for the later as its £200 less, but looks similar. The all day would benefit from a hour as you will find your doing loads of 12 hours for £900. the people who are getting married at 3pm will then be asking for a discount.
    Good point & useful Toby - the difference obvs needs to be made clearer.
    (The difference is the "simple party" includes Live performance w/ Disco music service (eg playlist), whereas the Disco is ...er...disco only, with actual mixing by a real live boy. Complete = both.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I find comments like 'If you want something different to some scruffy 80s-style pub DJ playing his own rubbish choices' very patronising. You can completely remove it and the following paragraph reads so much better.

And using normal, bold and italic font in the same paragraph is a bit too much formatting.
    That's thought provoking actually. It could be worded better although I kinda want to highlight what the other option is.... Cheers: going to think of alternative working.

Really useful stuff guys, please keep it coming!

The page I've struggled & re-written then most is LGBT/Civil Partnerships page...anyone got comments on that please? http://www.jonpaulentertainments.com...ps/default.htm
    Last edited by Jonny Boy; 07-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post

Good point & useful Toby - the difference obvs needs to be made clearer.
    (The difference is the "simple party" includes Live performance w/ Disco music service (eg playlist), whereas the Disco is ...er...disco only, with actual mixing by a real live boy. Complete = both.
    A demo video or diagram might be an idea as its not completely clear.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A demo video or diagram might be an idea as its not completely clear.
    Having had a more detailed read of the packages, I can see the differences, but they might well be clearer. Obviously the DJ and Disco is obvious, but the difference between Complete and Simple appears to be half an hour, and a hundred pounds, as both feature live music, as well as Disco. If you must have the two options, how about Standard and Premium, or such like? This might convey a reason for the price differential.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk