Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Website - your thoughts appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    A demo video or diagram might be an idea as its not completely clear.
    Good idea... I might add some illustrative photos at the bottom of the text.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Having had a more detailed read of the packages, I can see the differences, but they might well be clearer. Obviously the DJ and Disco is obvious, but the difference between Complete and Simple appears to be half an hour, and a hundred pounds, as both feature live music, as well as Disco. If you must have the two options, how about Standard and Premium, or such like? This might convey a reason for the price differential.
    This is very true.
    I need another think about how to best present the packages... in the meantime I've added a précis of what's included as the first bullet point for each example Hope it's clearer...

I've also reworded that paragraph about 80s pub DJs (ouch!) to convey the same idea less...priggishly. Thanks for mentioning this Funkymook...I'm cringing at the previous wording.

I'm stuck with the unclear pink text for now. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Boy View Post
    I've also reworded that paragraph about 80s pub DJs (ouch!) to convey the same idea less...priggishly. Thanks for mentioning this Funkymook...I'm cringing at the previous wording.
    And in what way is 'if you want something different to a stereotypical scruffy DJ blaring out his own inappropriate choices' any better?

Believe me it's much classier with it taken out completely, it does you no favours at all.

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    And in what way is 'if you want something different to a stereotypical scruffy DJ blaring out his own inappropriate choices' any better?

Believe me it's much classier with it taken out completely, it does you no favours at all.
    I agree although I do advertise "no school disco set ups, relentless chatter"
    I even have a ban list of Agadoo, oops upside your head, agadoo etc. LOL.

Justifying that you are not a part-time casual business shows I think in the site and your own personality.
    I have spent quite some time with you over the last few years and a good video will sort that as your a natural on the camera.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

One reason I'm against that sort of statement is that the client has probably been on (or will go on) a few other decent DJ sites and knows there are other professionals - which makes the comparison meaningless, they do not have an either or choice.

, they do not have an either or choice.
    Well yes, but surely they have the choice between Professionals like Jonny, and the aforementioned scruffy oiks? Isn't it valid to draw the distinction between the two extremes?
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I agree with Funkymook. Talk about what you are, not what you are not. Negative marketing and highlighting the flaws in others is....dare I say it....lacking in class. I'd go as far to say that any reference to how "others" do it, is unneccessary. Just talk about how you do it.

Well yes, but surely they have the choice between Professionals like Jonny, and the aforementioned scruffy oiks? Isn't it valid to draw the distinction between the two extremes?
    Jonny can't honestly thinks these low rent DJ's' are his competition - and he doesn't give his clients any credit for being able to draw the distinction themselves. 'You don't want to book some scruff that plays all the wrong songs' - well duh!

But lets say it is worthwhile for him to compare (and maybe that sort of marketing does work) - in that case do it properly, have a whole page devoted to highlighting the differences in quality, not just a one liner that's out of kilter with the rest of the site.

See this was exactly what my thought/intention was...

BUT (especially now Funkymook's expanded on his point/reasoning, I've got to agree with him. I'm tweaked the sentence again to "Do you want something other than typical?" at Mrs Wife's suggestion. (Could be "other than average" too.)
    Her thinking being that consumers will draw allusion to those "SMD"s that are out there, without me being that explicit.

Does this work better do you think?

Justifying that you are not a part-time casual business shows I think in the site and your own personality.
    Cheers, man.
    It took a long while for me to realise that just because ents. isn't my only career it didn't make me worth vastly less than others who purely work in ents.
    It took Barney Grossman to finally make that penny drop at the last BPM.

I have spent quite some time with you over the last few years and a good video will sort that as your a natural on the camera.
    You should see the one where I turn up to fix her washing machine..... ;-)

But seriously, thanks, Toby. That's a real and unexpected compliment.
    I can blag self-belief & confidence pretty good sometimes.... in reality I'm a paraoid hot mess. LOL.

Some more vids & recordings are on the cards actually... maybe later in the year: budget is presently exhausted.

Cheers guys for your input so far: welcome any other viewpoints and comments too.

Jonny can't honestly thinks these low rent DJ's' are his competition - and he doesn't give his clients any credit for being able to draw the distinction themselves. 'You don't want to book some scruff that plays all the wrong songs' - well duh!

But lets say it is worthwhile for him to compare (and maybe that sort of marketing does work) - in that case do it properly, have a whole page devoted to highlighting the differences in quality, not just a one liner that's out of kilter with the rest of the site.
    I would go as far as saying that that kind of advertising must work. Why else would the likes of ASDA, ALDI, Virgin Media, British Gas, British Telecom, etc., etc. name their competitors in their advertising? In markets where the general public perception is that all the players are the same (ring any bells???) then it's definitely advantageous to point out why you are better than your competitors and if that includes naming them (fairly, of course! And within ASA guidelines. Wouldn't want any legal issues!) then pretty much all is fair in love and marketing!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I would go as far as saying that that kind of advertising must work. Why else would the likes of ASDA, ALDI, Virgin Media, British Gas, British Telecom, etc., etc. name their competitors in their advertising? In markets where the general public perception is that all the players are the same (ring any bells???) then it's definitely advantageous to point out why you are better than your competitors and if that includes naming them (fairly, of course! And within ASA guidelines. Wouldn't want any legal issues!) then pretty much all is fair in love and marketing!
    True - but they generally use it when there is very little difference in product or service, this was more akin to Ferrari saying don't buy a clapped out 4th hand Corsa.