Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Microphone Squeeling

Default Microphone Squeeling

Hi all,

I have been wondering if there is a way round this for a long time. I use a wired microphone coming from my mixer (Dedicated area for mic) and when i adjust the gain to get a sound, it squeels. Yet i have a friend who uses cheaper wireless microphones and he has no problems at all, does anyone know what i could do to overcome this or fix this, or what im doing wrong??

Any help or advice will be brilliant?

Thanks,

Connor!!

Well the simple advice is:
    Try to get speakers as far in front as possible
    Try to get the HF units as high as possible
    Don't put too much eq on the mic, either run it flat, or with cut ( less bass and treble )

That's a start.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Does it feed back when you turn it up just a tiny bit? If so this could be an impedence problem. Do you have a hi/lo switch on your mixer or mic? If so, try the other setting!

Are you trying to use the mic over playing music, or making standalone announcements ?
    With the former it's very easy to overgain the mic to make it cut through.
    You could try lowering the music level or using a dedicated talk-over feature (if fitted) to do it automatically.
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikmania View Post
    Hi all,

I have been wondering if there is a way round this for a long time. I use a wired microphone coming from my mixer (Dedicated area for mic) and when i adjust the gain to get a sound, it squeels. Yet i have a friend who uses cheaper wireless microphones and he has no problems at all, does anyone know what i could do to overcome this or fix this, or what im doing wrong??

Any help or advice will be brilliant?

Thanks,

Connor!!
    Are you definitely using a unidirectional mic ?
    It must be uni directional for DJ/band work or it will howl.

After that it could be just down to the mic design.
    I use a cheapo mic I got from Maplin, I got three for £15 and they work great.

what you need is an attenator think thats what its called but andy neen will be able to tell you better

Quote Originally Posted by flatliners View Post
    what you need is an attenator think thats what its called but andy neen will be able to tell you better
    Depends what the problem is...

If the issue is that the microphone output is too "hot" (so that when the mixer is turned up to even low levels, it's coming through loud, then an attenuator will sort it out.

If the problem is that the microphone is omnidirectional and not unidirectional or cardoid then it's the Mic which is at fault.

If the problem is with the positioning of the speakers and/or the EQ on the mixer, then with a little bit of careful re-arranging/adjusting things should be fine without having to invest in anything.

Without knowing more about the microphone being used and the set up, it's hard to say what the root cause is here.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography