Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get bookings?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikmania View Post
    Hi,

Due to family issues i havent done many discos within the last yeat. But have just started to get the time to get out of a weekend evening to do them. But i dont know if anyone else is having the same problem but finding bookings is quiet.

Has anyone got aby ideas as to what i can do to help fill up the slots??
    What should i do to get bookings?

If anyone can help id be grateful?

thanks.
    If you haven't already signed up it might be worth your while looking at NeedaDisco (http://www.needadisco.com).

If you use the forum search function there's plenty of threads about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Indeed they do

Maybe time to invest ?
    lol, got me....

Quote Originally Posted by pgw71 View Post
    lol, got me....
    the best way to deal with proofreading is still to have it done by a human being - someone with the necessary skills and aptitude.
    Self inflicted !
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow View Post
    Self inflicted !
    Of course it does rather prove my point i.e we always do well to have our writing proof read, and by someone else

Of course it does rather prove my point i.e we always do well to have our writing proof read, and by someone else
    I see! It was an intentional error on your part just to prove your point! Very clever, indeed!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I see! It was an intentional error on your part just to prove your point! Very clever, indeed!
    You beat me to it
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Totally agree with others regarding your website. The old cliche "First Impressions Count" is never truer when there are so many options to those looking to hire your services. One thing to put them off and they will click straight to one of your competitors.

Having said that there are number of other things that you could try.

1)
    Networking and collaborating with other DJ's. If you can build good solid relationships with other DJ's this is sometimes a great way to be passed jobs, but you need to be as good as the person passing you work with a good sound system, be very reliable and have a professional work ethic. Sometimes a drink is expected as a thank you (I usually bung anyone passing me work a £50 as a thanks).

2) Seek out and find multi-ops in your area. A multi-operator is an established DJ who subcontracts work out that he cannot do to other DJ's and takes a nice cut for himself. The "cut" can be anything from £50 to a couple of hundred £££. But from your point of view some cash is better than none

3) Sign up to agencies... there a few agencies who are UK wide and there might be some local to you, but they do require high standards as well and usually experience. There are also some "Cheap" agencies don't have any requirements, but the money you earn after comission is pants - its all dependant on how you're willing to go. I cut my teeth on such an agency back in the day who used to send me to an Essex pub for £115 (after commission), but it was great fun and a real learning curve.

5) Speak to your local hotels and venues and try and get in. A hard slog and expect to be knocked back a number of times, but its always worth a try. You never know, a venue might be looking for a new DJ or even fed up with their current one

Be realistic. Don't price yourself out of the market - especially when you're trying to build up your business again. There are some highly respected DJ's and Mobile Discos who go out a charge £400 / £500 for there gigs, but they have built up a good reputation, worked hard to get there, have excellent equipment and loads of recommendations. This doesn't happen over night, and if you start out too expensive then you find hard to get as many gigs. But don't sell yourself short either. Do your research. Ask friends and colleagues what they would expect to pay, and take everything into account before setting your price.

Learn, learn and never stop learning! Whether it be going out with other DJ's to observe / roadie, attending conferences and exhibitions such as BPM, networking and meeting up with other DJ's for a coffee / beer to exchange ideas, reading stuff like ProMobile DJ magazine or simply looking at the forums like the MDD learning will keep your ideas fresh, ensure that you maintain the edge and instil renewed enthusiasm.

OK, so I've gone a little here, but I hope the this might help a little...

best of luck
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Ralph, I think your post is absolutely spot on. I can't disagree with any of it. I can't stress enough how valuable networking is. Through MDD, I met a couple of colleagues who share with and cover work for each other. Invaluable.

Websites also, I've lost a couple of gigs recently for this reason.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ralph has covered it.

Networking with local DJ's, getting round venues and talking with the wedding planners and venue managers is how we cracked it. Well, it was a start 😉.

Stick with it and you will get the gigs.

When I started out I delivered 3000 flyers door to door, handed some into venues, fish and chip shops, left some at the dentist or anywhere I could.

I checked gumtree daily, posted my own ads and searched the Internet for agents to send my details to.

Made mix cds and asked almost every nightclub manager if they would take a listen and consider me.

Built a website and spent hours promoting it on other sites and still am.

What I'm saying is if you want it you need to go and get it, all of those methods got me some work, some much more effective than others but try hard and you will succeed.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD