Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We all have the odd one.

Default We all have the odd one.

I dont know if anyone else evergets this but there is always them events where someone you dont get on with is attending or someone moans about the music you play.. this makes me as a DJ feel uncompfortable when someone you dislike ismocking you throughout the event..

What do the rest of you do? Do you get this?

Quote Originally Posted by Muzikmania View Post
    I dont know if anyone else evergets this but there is always them events where someone you dont get on with is attending or someone moans about the music you play.. this makes me as a DJ feel uncompfortable when someone you dislike ismocking you throughout the event..

What do the rest of you do? Do you get this?
    I tend to walk over to the person and ask what they want if I feel people are looking over lots and taking the mickey. I try to be overly nice to them and not let paranoia get the better of me. You can see the fear in their eyes when they see you leave the booth and come over to them.

Quite often they actually are liking the music and are just having a laugh and we are the entertainment so they are in their rights to be looking at you and laughing. if they do not then they will appreciate the gesture as generally they will not know what they want or choose something not too different to whats playing. They generally will appreciate you are up against it. Thats assuming that you are not playing completely the wrong music, which could always be the case (i.e. macarena, Agadoo all night in a cool wedding)

If the person is clearly an idiot I will try to appease them and on very rare occasions embarrass them which if done correctly will shut them up for the rest of the night. An example is when you have a full floor and someone keeps on at you in an almost aggressive way to play something that just won't work. Often Actually I do play it and it works well so I always hold my hat up to the individual and admit defeat. most of the times however it does not and I will make a point of letting people know that they choose the track. The floor will clear and they will normally come back to me and agree with what I have said and ask to change it

And lastly use the track list from the client, and hold that against anyone taking the mickey, technically blaming the music choice on the party organiser. i will generally try to nail most track lists so most of the music is the clients choice.
    Last edited by yourdj; 19-01-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I had this on my New Year's Day karaoke disco. I started off singing Gold and these two eejit's sitting on the table in front of me decided to start heckling me. When I was singing the chorus, they were joining in singing "You are !". Ok, I thought. Just leave it for the moment. Next song I sang, You Keep It All In by the Beautiful South. I was singing "You know your problem" and they were replying "Yeah, you're !". So, after the song and a bit more heckling, I said over the mic "You're right, you know, I am . But getting paid £xx an hour makes it all worthwhile!". Heckling stopped and they even got up to sing what was, in my opinion, quite possible the worst ever rendition of Unchained Melody ever performed on planet Earth! But I didn't take the mickey out of them. Just my usual "Come on everyone, big round of applause" type of thing.

The actual afternoon went very well and I was booked until 1.30pm to 5pm but they wanted me to go on longer (they actually said they'd advertised the afternoon as 2 til 6 - don't you love it when you pull your contract out with the correct booking times on?? ). I think I annoyed a few people as I had other arrangements and couldn't stay later (although I did give them about 20mins extra). The problem is, the venue manager does that every year - books me to start early and finish early and then always asks for extra time. Next year, if he still wants me, he's going to have to book extra time when he makes the booking and solve this problem once and for all.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I just close my eyes and silently recall the serenity prayer:

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The Courage to change the things I can,
    Wisdom to know the difference, and Strength........

........ to reach out and sock that annoying little squarely on the jaw !!!
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

years ago at a Christmas party I had someone shouting various things like 'this music is ' and 'whats he playing this rubbish for' etc

several people complained about him and the management throw him out.

found out later out he was a local DJ!!
    Dave
    DSF Mobile Discos
    www.dsfdiscos.co.uk

Kill them with kindness, hasn't failed me yet!

Probably my worst gig in the early days was an 18th, and a few of the delightful guests thought it would be fun to throw food at my rig! Needless to say a quiet word with parents and a holler on the mic to advise that if it continues I will leave and call the Police for backup soon put an end to it. Apparently it was a few people who wern't on the guest list and were asked to leave shortly after.

More recently I was at a wedding, where a miserably drunk bridesmaid suggested I was the worst DJ ever. Politely I advised the music choice was down to the happy couple, to which she retorted well they don't know about anything! 10 minutes later she came back and started off again, to which I responded that I was sorry that she wasn't enjoying herself and having a good time, but I would happily play a song of her choice if she wanted. She said she didn't have any requests but I was just rubbish!!! Silly

We all get them once in a while!!!
    Ralph @ Disco Magic
    www.disco-magic.co.uk
    www.toastmasterinsurrey.co.uk

"Creating Magical Memories and Exceptional Events"

Its not just DJing but with most jobs you get someone who takes exception to you.

There will always be misunderstandings between people.

I have actually left jobs after being bullied.

With DJing if they start I am just polite as who knows they could be the hirer !
    I don't know better than the hirer, what they say goes.

I have had some great nights and some pretty crap nights.
    Sometimes no one will dance what ever you play or someone will complain that you havent played what they want coz you dont have it.
    I can only choose from iTunes what I play and cant afford to download every song ever written.

I had a woman on Saturday night who (right after I had just played 2 Jam songs, plus Housemartins, Chumbawumba) just shouted at me for the final 45 minutes "Jam, Jam, Jam".

I politely told her that I'd just played 2 Jam songs and now the B&G had requested certain songs during the last 45 minutes or so and that was what I was now going to play.

She kept on and on and on (are we allowed to punch people these days) but I held my nerve.

Finally with about 15 minutes to go and I had the floor full with the end of night soppy bit (their requests remember), I had a brainwave.

I went into the hotel kitchen and brought out 6 individual breakfast jams and held them out for her. Cue much merryment and laughter from 95% of the people in the room. The 5% (i.e. her) just went red in the face (despite my wash light being blue at the time).

Don't you just love 'em.

If I am being honest, it used to bother me but it doesn't at all now.
    Back in the day I'd maybe retaliate with something and then I'd think about how far away from home I was, how many of them there were compared to me and I'd bite my tongue.
    I had one on Saturday night after the last song of the night where a guy who had been dancing all night and was obviously well oiled shouted out "One more!". I couldn't play one more because (a) It was the last song that the Bride & Groom had chosen and it would have defeated the object and (b) It was past finish time and they are quite strict at the venue with reference to the residents.
    Saying that, I had one cue'd up just in case the Bride & Groom and venue thought it was ok as the night was going well BUT BUT BUT....the guy that shouted out "One more!" said it again but this time it was "Play one more you " so I didn't bother. I just gave him a look that told him more or less to shut it!