Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: The best compact speakers ?

Default The best compact speakers ?

For some time now I have been considering new compact speakers, trouble is I keep changing my mind what to go for I know it's best to go and listen but I would be interested in peoples opinions as to what's the best to go for and I don't just mean the most expensive.

I have considered the LD Maui 28 , The new Mackie DLM12 , Yamaha DRX , QSC K10s with RCF 902 subs , FBT Vertus and many other s , any thoughts ?

I use K10s with RCF 705s and they are fantastic.

Come over and have a listen Paul.

I'm assuming size and weight are a priority as you say 'compact'. A bit more about what events you do, number of guests etc might help narrow it down.

I use a Vertus as I seldom play to more than 120 people, it's a very easy load-in, looks good in white for weddings, is versatile and I've honestly had quite a few positive comments on the looks and sound (never had that before with any other system and I've always used a decent PA).

But if I was doing loads of 18th's and 21st's it probably wouldn't be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    I use K10s with RCF 705s and they are fantastic.

Come over and have a listen Paul.
    I could bring my Vertus as well if it helps....

Yes size & weight are the priority , normally between 50 to 200 people very rarely more.
    Thinking about it I'm probably leaning more towards traditional speakers rather than column style that's why I keep thinking the RCF 902 subs with the QSC K10s the best combination considering they seem to be the best in their price range.
    Last edited by Sapphire Disco; 05-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.

I've heard a DLM12 4 box set up and was very impressed, the output is amazing, as is their portability and versatility. If they had a price tag of around £2K, I'd have probably purchased them on the spot, but the £3.4K tag put me off. They would however suit a mobile DJ who does get the larger gigs and doesn't have the luxury of decent sized transport available.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I can vouch for the 902's.

Lightweight, easy to carry upstairs, small, dont take up much room. Pack a huge punch.

I use them with HD12a's. 1 will do upto 120/140 easily. Have done over 250 people with 2 and the tops clipped first!

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    I can vouch for the 902's.

Lightweight, easy to carry upstairs, small, dont take up much room. Pack a huge punch.

I use them with HD12a's. 1 will do upto 120/140 easily. Have done over 250 people with 2 and the tops clipped first!
    Sounds good wondering if the QSC 10s are as good as the HD12s ? as they are smaller & lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    Sounds good wondering if the QSC 10s are as good as the HD12s ? as they are smaller & lighter.
    Don't know about that, I have no experience of the QSC 10s or 12s. One thing about the HDA12a's is that for small venues you can use them without a sub, with response down to 45hz.

Quote Originally Posted by DJColsie View Post
    Don't know about that, I have no experience of the QSC 10s or 12s. One thing about the HDA12a's is that for small venues you can use them without a sub, with response down to 45hz.
    I got my local live music pub to buy HD12's as part of their in-house PA so I DJ through them quite often. Due to noise complaints I don't use bass bins with them and they're more than enough for a busy 170 capacity pub. I'd recommend them to anyone.

For a small but high quality system a pair of HD10's over 902's or 905's would be awesome. You could demo them against a Vertus (and other systems) over at RSD Music. But whatever you do don't listen to the Traction Sound cub system they have - you'll want it and it's not cheap!