Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yell.com

Default Yell.com

Hi thinking of going on yell.com. Does anyone think it would be any good. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dj brummie View Post
    Hi thinking of going on yell.com. Does anyone think it would be any good. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks
    I guess its ok to get you going but I feel its more for the low end of the market.
    I came out of it a few years ago now and its the best thing I did but that's mainly because all my websites do well in google

Default Yell

Quote Originally Posted by surround sounds View Post
    I guess its ok to get you going but I feel its more for the low end of the market.
    I came out of it a few years ago now and its the best thing I did but that's mainly because all my websites do well in google
    I agree with the above..

I had a advert in 2012 that cost under £300... but only got one booking from it.
    The free listing with website link is all I have now.

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Default Website

We are currently setting up a website with webnation. How does it work on google so people can find you. Cheers

Personally I'd give yell.com a miss if you are considering a paid for listing, the free one is OK, and put a bit of effort into listing yourself on the free listings (including MDD) I've never had much success with sites like yell.com. Regarding Webnation, their reputation is good, and after checking the opinion of some of their current customers, I'm currently having them build me a site. Your site will be optimised by Webnation to enable search engine to find and list it, this process can take some time to get good listings. While you wait, you could always try using 'Google Ad Words' they will certainly get targeted visitors to your site, but be careful, it can work out expensive if the visitors choose to 'browse' instead of 'buy', good luck.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Default Yell

Thanks for your reply. We have been going for about 15yrs, we have done well but for some reason the discos have gone quiet the last couple of years. We always relied on our resident functions but they have stopped due to so called djs undercutting us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj brummie View Post
    Thanks for your reply. We have been going for about 15yrs, we have done well but for some reason the discos have gone quiet the last couple of years. We always relied on our resident functions but they have stopped due to so called djs undercutting us.
    Yell is perfectly OK. The free on-line service will create bookings but you will be pestered by telesales people to pay for add ons. Of the Disco's near me, those choosing to enhance their listings in Yell do much better and I understand what people are saying about low end of the market. Unfortunately, Yell doesn't differentiate on quality so whoever forks out the most gets the prime listing. I suspect that for many of the paid listings, it is desperation that drives them and they'll only ever get to the top of any list if they pay for it!!

I'm way down the Yell listings - a page and a half at least but I always ask where people found contact numbers and Yell is a regular answer. Perhaps 30 to 40 enquiries each year is about right. The paper directory is a waste of time.

It's a bit unfair to blame so-called DJ's for under cutting you. It's called competition and it's fierce in the mobile DJ market as opposed to the comfortable Resident DJ world.

Default Yell

have to agree to give yell a miss, they often call and pester you to sign up. There so annoying!

So I had a call from these guys about a year or so ago and I thought I'd give it a shot. Many of you will know I've expanded from just doing discos to various other bits and pieces so made an advert to cover discos but also all the hire stuff so my yearly fee of £120 for 12 months listing would hopefully reap some rewards.

Just about to enter the last month or so of this and have had 28 click throughs to the site and a fair few of them browsed the site for a couple of minutes and seven exited the site on the contact page however a number of them have been on the site for 0 seconds so likely to be spam bots or similar.

I'm fairly certain looking from google analytics that I've got one uplighting job from yell and maybe a Sunday wedding in July however it is from a venue that I work at reguarly and analytics isn't really telling me one way or another if they did come from yell (I think not personally).

So to sum up, I've made a small lost on yell advertising. Haven't renewed for another year. No surprise I'm sure but this is from my own personal experience rather than just taking peoples word for it.

When I rang up to cancel they looked at my numbers and her words were (was a week or so ago) "27 click throughs, no that's not very many is it". She did offer me another year at half price but I decided not to press ahead.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

I have a small listing in the book and won't be renewing this year. There are only 4 listings for mobile DJs in this year's book whereas in years gone past, there have been up to 6-8 pages of DJs!