Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX retro fit of my fixtures!

I just ordered two of the Wireless DMX PCB boards as well as 12v to 5v boards to convert a couple ADJ Megapar Profiles. If all goes well I'm going to do all 20 of them as well as my ADJ Jelly Fish. I'll keep you guys in the loop once the boards arrive in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    for the 3 boxed receivers, I'm pulling 5V from the CA-9 connector on the back of the Cougars and Micro Fusions so I haven't had to break into the fixtures at all (and also there's no space at all in the Micro Fusions!!)
    Ah thats very helpful! I will try that as i bought a step down from 12 volts as not to hack into anything on the main board. Did not think they would have a power supply so thats brilliant.

I have managed to pull out the cable on the connection and advice on getting a new one or fixing it??
    Its the white bit on here:

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  26.9 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

The white one Toby? The white wire is probably one of the DMX data cables & looks like it goes to a Molex connector. If you can solder it'll be an easy fix. Prise the crimp out of the housing (from the position where the wire broke off) then strip about 2mm of the outer insulation off. Twist & tin the stripped wire then shove it into the crimp and solder it into place. Then simply push the newly fixed wire & crimp back into the white connector.

Without knowing what the crimp looks like it's impossible to advise what kind of crimp to buy to replace the old one, which is why I suggested soldering it as a fix. The connector may be a Molex KK series like here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-MOLEX...4AAOxywXFSa8Dp - but you'll only be able to find out what it looks like by removing it from the body of the white connector.

How do you remove one then? Simples - on side side should be a vertical slot. With a small screwdriver, push down in the slot and simultaneously push the crimp from the end where there's a small square hole (i.e. the other end to where the wires come out).

You can buy ready-made molex cables but chances are you'd have to rejig the wires in the white plug housing so they follow the same colour code as the original.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    The white one Toby? The white wire is probably one of the DMX data cables & looks like it goes to a Molex connector. If you can solder it'll be an easy fix. Prise the crimp out of the housing (from the position where the wire broke off) then strip about 2mm of the outer insulation off. Twist & tin the stripped wire then shove it into the crimp and solder it into place. Then simply push the newly fixed wire & crimp back into the white connector.

Without knowing what the crimp looks like it's impossible to advise what kind of crimp to buy to replace the old one, which is why I suggested soldering it as a fix. The connector may be a Molex KK series like here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-X-MOLEX...4AAOxywXFSa8Dp - but you'll only be able to find out what it looks like by removing it from the body of the white connector.

How do you remove one then? Simples - on side side should be a vertical slot. With a small screwdriver, push down in the slot and simultaneously push the crimp from the end where there's a small square hole (i.e. the other end to where the wires come out).

You can buy ready-made molex cables but chances are you'd have to rejig the wires in the white plug housing so they follow the same colour code as the original.
    Yes it is a crimp thing, I meant the white connector housing. Do you know where I could get a set of new ones in various sizes?
    Its the power cable that has come free from me pulling it.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Yes it is a crimp thing, I meant the white connector housing. Do you know where I could get a set of new ones in various sizes?
    Its the power cable that has come free from me pulling it.
    In my experience it'll be the crimps you've damaged not the housing. Crimps & housings are pretty cheap to buy if you get copies - otherwise the housing is like a quid & the crimps are 10p each from RS or Farnell. Okay not that expensive for one-offs but where I worked we always used cheaper Chinese copies. Either way you'll need to see what the actual crimps look like to find one to mate with the connector on the board properly.

Can you take & post photos of close-ups of both the crimps & the housing? You'll need to remove a crimp & take pics side-on from two angles - one where the prongs are folded over where the wire enters the crimp & one at 90 degrees to that aspect. It's just about the only way to find out what kind of crimps they are. I wouldn't wish a search on the RS website on anybody.

If it was me doing the repair I'd be tempted to just solder the wires to the board instead (after removing the connector) but that's only for very experienced solderers

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

If it was me doing the repair I'd be tempted to just solder the wires to the board instead (after removing the connector) but that's only for very experienced solderers
    Never to be attempted by toy solderers. It's bad for health and safety, as they keep falling down.

I will take a photo of them. i have ordered another one from China this time to see if its the board thats broken. I am fine with soldering. Its only a 5 volt supply so no danger. the worth that will happen is that the DMX will stop functioning.

Still could do with a set of crimps. I bought a little electronics kit recently so want to get in to it. Got a clamp thing, shrink tube, multimeter, wires and some other stuff.

I will take a photo of them. i have ordered another one from China this time to see if its the board thats broken. I am fine with soldering. Its only a 5 volt supply so no danger. the worth that will happen is that the DMX will stop functioning.

Still could do with a set of crimps. I bought a little electronics kit recently so want to get in to it. Got a clamp thing, shrink tube, multimeter, wires and some other stuff.
    Well, my point is that there are loads of different types of crimped connections used in gear. Even when you're talking about 0.1" pitch connectors there are loads to consider. Molex KK is very common but other ones are often used too. I found a good site for you to look at which has examples of common types: linky

Well, my point is that there are loads of different types of crimped connections used in gear. Even when you're talking about 0.1" pitch connectors there are loads to consider. Molex KK is very common but other ones are often used too. I found a good site for you to look at which has examples of common types: linky
    Thanks - pretty sure its the one below??

Name:  xh-800x558.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  71.1 KB
    Last edited by yourdj; 26-10-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks - pretty sure its the one below??

Name:  xh-800x558.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  71.1 KB
    Yeuch. JST connectors. Hate these with a passion I normally reserve for the Grease megamix. Try to solder the wire back onto the crimp is what I'd do. JST connectors are a bitch to crimp even with the correct tool, let alone with small nosed pliers or whatever - hence why wires are always falling out of them.