Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless DMX retro fit of my fixtures!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    You're a bit late to the party on this one aren't you? It's been done on Facebook a few times recently and it's been talked about round on here for a few years (I did the conversion on mine 2 or 3 years ago after seeing an article on here?)

Having said all that, there's no video on YouTube yet, so I guess there's still room for more info

If anyone is genuinely interested in how I've done it, I've got the PCB's inside the following fixtures now and I'd be happy to take photos if anyone wanted them:

QTX SP64 pars
    LEDJ 7q5 Par cans
    Stairville 252/8 bars
    Equinox Ballero Moving heads

I've also fitted them externally to Acme Cougars and Acme Fusion moving washes (which is dead easy using the Acme Wireless remote port for power). Generally though it's just a case of finding space in the case for the board, drilling two holes for the LED and the push button switch, one hole for the Ariel and then finding a 5V rail, and soldering to the back of the DMX connectors. With the last lot of pars I got it down to about 15-20mins per fixture, and most of that was pulling them apart and putting them back together again.

Julian
    Do you actually need to use the switch? I haven't found a manual for those things yet I'm guessing it might play a role in 'pairing' the devices but I dunno til mine arrive. Gonna be a bit of a sod if there's any button pressing needs to be done when the light is rigged already.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    You're a bit late to the party on this one aren't you? It's been done on Facebook a few times recently and it's been talked about round on here for a few years (I did the conversion on mine 2 or 3 years ago after seeing an article on here?)

Having said all that, there's no video on YouTube yet, so I guess there's still room for more info

If anyone is genuinely interested in how I've done it, I've got the PCB's inside the following fixtures now and I'd be happy to take photos if anyone wanted them:

QTX SP64 pars
    LEDJ 7q5 Par cans
    Stairville 252/8 bars
    Equinox Ballero Moving heads

I've also fitted them externally to Acme Cougars and Acme Fusion moving washes (which is dead easy using the Acme Wireless remote port for power). Generally though it's just a case of finding space in the case for the board, drilling two holes for the LED and the push button switch, one hole for the Ariel and then finding a 5V rail, and soldering to the back of the DMX connectors. With the last lot of pars I got it down to about 15-20mins per fixture, and most of that was pulling them apart and putting them back together again.

Julian
    Id be very interested in a tutorial with plenty of help not to electrocute ones self

OK did a successful fit of Quad Phase today, works a treat.
    Why they don't do this as standard I have no idea as it cost me about £9.
    Only drilled one hole as I used the CA8 hole and the metal hook thing - hole.

Name:  IMG_0483-X2.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0509-X2.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0514-X2.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0510-X2.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  36.9 KB
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Hey, nice job Toby! Heatshrunk too

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Hey, nice job Toby! Heatshrunk too
    Notice my soldering is not in shot. its strong but looks pretty poor. The light won't get bashed about. As a bonus the part from the lid holds it all in place, so its well set back but not in danger of falling into the light. I did glue gun it but thats works better, so removed the glue as it looks messy and does not stick to the metal very well. I would probably bolt it just off from the chassy a bit like the other led control board in shot.
    Last edited by yourdj; 05-11-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Just one thing Toby. You did reconnect the yellow & green wire to wherever it was originally, didn't you? That's an Earth bonding wire.

Do you actually need to use the switch? I haven't found a manual for those things yet I'm guessing it might play a role in 'pairing' the devices but I dunno til mine arrive. Gonna be a bit of a sod if there's any button pressing needs to be done when the light is rigged already.
    Then only time I've used the switch so far has been when I've accidentally knocked it and switched a fixture to another a channel If all the lights are being driven by one DMX controller, the you shouldn't need it. It only comes into play if you want to operate multiple fixtures on different controllers.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

If one DMX universe isn't enough for a mobile DJ.... I'd get jealous!

Just one thing Toby. You did reconnect the yellow & green wire to wherever it was originally, didn't you? That's an Earth bonding wire.
    Good question. Yes i did.
    It goes onto the lid.

Now it's my turn!

http://www.justinhornsby.co.uk/?p=103

Did my Giga Bar & USB DMX adapter to start with. More boards are now on their way. It's going to make a wonderful difference to my setup & teardown