Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What type of gig did you do this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Really really late, but here goes:
    4th July 13th Birthday
    5th July, 50th Birthday
    17th July School Disco
    19th July Engagenent
    24th July Pub Quiz ( Yes, I've gone over to the dark side, taking over from Justin, who's had this for three years or so )
    Last night Wedding ( Lovely people )
    Tonight 30th Birthday
    Tomorrow Christening.
    Well alright then...

1st July School Prom
    3rd July Photo booth for 18th
    4th July Dinner/dance
    5th July photo booth for 18th
    6th July Wedding disco and photo booth
    12th July 6 x 3m starlit backdrop for wedding
    12th July Charity photo booth school fayre
    12th July photo booth for wedding reception
    14th July photo booth for prom
    16th July Sports day commentary
    19th July House warming party
    21st July Sports day commentary
    22nd July Sports day commentary
    23rd July Fun day
    23rd July Disco and photo booth for 12th birthday
    25th July wedding reception
    26th July photo booth for wedding reception

.....and relax.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

18th Birthday party tonight, and I will be playing house music. The venue, which is predominantly used for weddings, has their own sound and lighting.

The client phoned me earlier this week to ask if I minded if one of his mates set his kit up and DJ'd for the first part of the night. So he'll be playing 7pm-9pm, and I'll play from 9pm until midnight (but still fully paid for the whole night!).

All I'll need is my laptop, Traktor S4 MkII and my headphones. Leave mine at 8pm, will take me five minutes to set up and I'll be home for 12:30.

Such a hard life...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Such a hard life...
    Alright for some - my 30th tonight was hard work.
    Heat got the better of the party, and with a bouncy castle and BBQ outside on the patio, I was asked to turn the decibels up in the hall so that they could here it outside.

Did manage to get a couple of decent sets going later in the evening with Old Skool 90's stuff, but they couldn't keep it up for long between them.

I did get a lot of praise at the end though, and the customer himself acknowledged the heat problem and was more than happy with what I'd done so not all bad.

Call me old fashioned though....I'd much rather have them throwing shapes on the floor rather than drinking pints on the terrace

I'm doing a surprise wedding this week where the groom doesn't even know he's getting married!!!

It's not quite as mental as it sounds (he IS meant to marry her abroad in September) but I can't say much more about it just yet.

If nothing else I'm pretty sure it'll be a no stonewaller for the good gig bad gig thread

Got a phone call from a pub Friday night wanting a DJ for Saturday.

Said all I needed was a laptop, and plug into their existing system.

Since I've only ever used my own kit, I decided to have a visit after work Friday to see what they had....

Turns out their resident DJ decided to retire at short notice after 16 years...

They showed me a small white box under a windowsill containing two 1/4 inch jack sockets.

They did not really know what signal I needed to put into those, i.e. Mixer outputs, or amplified outputs etc

So, went again Saturday morning with my laptop/mixer/microphones & amp to find out.

Turns out that I just needed my mixer and laptop. (When we figured out the various zone settings behind the bar). They did not want any lighting, so nothing to worry about there.

Brief was just to play 60-80's music, not too loud, they want the clients to be able to talk. Also I was running a music quiz and prize raffle.

Never done a pub event before so this was totally new to me, so a little apprehensive, normally used to having a dance floor, louder music, flashing lights, own kit etc

Turns out I actually enjoyed this event, busy pub, kids banned, Plenty of microphone use, with the quiz and raffle, light banter etc. Not what I'm used to, but still made a nice change, and the time went quickly too.

Only had one complaint, and that was that a certain area could not hear me for the quiz, turned up the volume and that was sorted.

Told them I'll help them out again if they need cover, and I don't have a booking.

The main benefit was not having to hump my full setup around. First event I've done where I've not been knackered when I've got home

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Got a phone call from a pub Friday night wanting a DJ for Saturday.

Said all I needed was a laptop, and plug into their existing system.
    I've done one of those in the past - their resident DJ had been arrested for domestic abuse an hour before a big 50th so I didn't even get chance to check out the kit. Luckily I got hold of someone at the venue before leaving home and they had an old Numark CD desk wired into the system.....so just a phono lead from my desk to theirs into the right input and Bob's your uncle.....t'was a brilliant night too

Anyways - back to the thread.
    Wednesday: (Not so) surprise 21st birthday party during which my mixer went up - still a good night though
    Saturday: Fancy dress 30th.....too hot for too much dancing but was told by the client I'd done a good job
    Sunday: 14th birthday party....absolute belter with a full dance-floor from start to finish (rare for one of those).

Nothing now until next Saturday when I hit the wedding trail again.

Corporate talent show with backdrops, stage lighting & PA (short disco at the end) on Friday

All day wedding & wishing well on Saturday.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I'm doing a surprise wedding this week where the groom doesn't even know he's getting married!!!

It's not quite as mental as it sounds (he IS meant to marry her abroad in September) but I can't say much more about it just yet.

If nothing else I'm pretty sure it'll be a no stonewaller for the good gig bad gig thread
    THIS

Turned out to be a really good night.

As one of the few people in on the surprise (and having quite a big roll to play in the reveal as I was MCing and making all of the announcements) I was shaking like a leaf when the surprise was unveiled so I can't imagine what the girl was feeling like never mind the groom realising that this was going to be his wedding.

Was a great night.

29/11/14 hot rod club Xmas party. Brilliant but also strange. Usual tracks for this crowd, copperhead road, stray cats etc but then Barry manilow-Mandy then wham-club tropicana. I nearly fell over laughing. Not expected tracks for this crowd lol

This weekend we've had a Ladies Night on Friday, a Children's Disco yesterday afternoon, almost a last minute cover yesterday evening and today we have a mascot out this afternoon one of them being a family outing. Quiet weekend really to be fair.