Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weddings - The last song of the night...

Default Weddings - The last song of the night...

As the title says.....Weddings - The last song of the night.

When I have my meetings with the Bride & Groom in advance of their weddings I mention this and I'd say around 80% of them haven't even thought about it.
    Personally, I think the last song of the night can be a classic way of finishing their evening reception with something that will get everyone up on to the dance floor.
    A few years ago I had a number of B&G's say something like "Isn't it always New York, New York?" - Well, no it isn't. It is totally up to you as to how you want to finish your night.

The last song of the night works a number of ways. It tells the venue your'e finishing on time. It tells the guests that it is the last song of the night and it has been chosen by the Bride & Groom and it also (more often than not) stops the "one more" crowd. Playing another song afterwards defeats the object.

I've spoken in depth about this to B&G's in the meetings beforehand and on a number of occasions when it has come to the night itself it hasn't really gone to plan for a number of reasons. For example : If you are at a venue where lots of the guests are staying and there is a healthy number left until the end then it works well. If you're at a venue in the centre of town (like one of my residencies) then sometimes it doesn't have the same impact because some of the younger crowd may have left to go elsewhere. Also, if there are lots of children at the wedding then their parents may have left with them well before the last song of the night.
    Most of the time though, it works well.

I think it is a good chance for everyone to join in with the B&G and finish the night off memorably.
    I went through a stage where the last song was something like 'Never Forget' by Take That or 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now' by Starship.
    One of the best I've done (well, 2 actually) was 'Champagne Supernova' by Oasis. I had shivers up my spine when close to 100 people were all singing along on both occasions and the applause afterwards was great.

On another occasion the B&G requested ' her gently' by Tenacious D. That was probably one of the funniest last songs of the night, even though I was very apprehensive about playing it. On that occasion everyone loved it (luckily).

Last Saturday's wedding had 'Superman' by Black Lace which was very cheesy and very different for a last song but it worked very well.
    I had a meeting with a B&G last night for their wedding this Saturday and they'd thought about their last song of the night and revealed to me that it is 'Shaddup Your Face' by Joe Dolce!!
    That will definitely be memorable!

So, do you make a point of suggesting a last song of the night?
    Do you think it is important?
    What kind of songs do you play or have you played as the last song of the night?
    If the B&G haven't thought about it and leave it to you, what do you suggest?

I think it is important and I just wondered whether anyone else did too.

What I play at the bitter end very much depends on what's gone on during the night if nothing has been set out beforehand.

Assuming I've still got a workable crowd at last orders time I might ask the happy couple or just go with my gut feeling. I try to avoid the usual suspects at all costs unless they're asked for.

When I'm completely stuck for ideas I cop out with a reprise of the first dance. Most other times it's an uplifting, singalongalastsong.

Bohemian Rhapsody has made a few appearances as has Country Roads (kind of fitting due to where the venue is).

I generally fight off calls for one more & there have only been two occasions where I admit defeat & go along with the request.

It's funny but usually when a last song has been specifically requested before the event I get badgered to make sure I haven't forgotten. O ye of little faith!

Back when I worked as a club DJ the company had a rule that Dean Martin 'that's amore' was to be played as the last song & we'd be sacked if we didn't. Examples were made of a few DJs who didn't follow the rules. I've dug it out more than once & it's gone down well as the last track. I still detest it though

I tend to use something like new York, time of our lives, new ver forget. and finish 10 mins before the actual finish time (letting the couple know that it will go on for another couple of tracks). Then usually congratulate the couple (three cheers) and let everyone know where they are going on honeymoon, whilst matching a song to that location.
    or get a song that they love or may be a bit whacky / full of energy, play that and then usually a slowy to wind it all down. last song (s) are background, which coincides with the actual finish time.

This was a few years back - I chit chat a lot less now and make it a bit less announcement like
    And put the lighting on the ceiling not in everyones faces.

Last edited by yourdj; 08-09-2015 at 09:46 AM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Great minds think alike Toby.

I always discuss this with the B&G and as already mentioned, most of them haven't got a clue or haven't thought about this one.
    My usual suspects are New York New York, Never Forget, or more recently I've been introduced (by a groom a couple of weeks ago actually) to the Pavarotti and Friends version of All You Need Is Love, which works really, really well as it's more punchy than the Beatles versions.

If the B&G don't have a specific last track, I always suggest ending on one of these three, and always 5-10 minutes early so that I can do the "one more" if requested. They're usually more than OK with this and happy to run with what I decide on the night.

I always used to announce the last song and leave 5 minutes after that in case people wanted 1 more.

Toby you using a life cam with auto focus on?
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Great minds think alike Toby.
    Not sure about great LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Toby you using a life cam with auto focus on?
    Don't know what i had back then? Probably a canon Powershot (large one) prior to my 600d.
    Got a 70d now which has autofocus, much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I always used to announce the last song and leave 5 minutes after that in case people wanted 1 more.
    I did that the other day as the party was in serious threat of disbanding, so got everyone together for the finally 20 mins before finish and they had all had enough, so we ended up with 10 mins to spare. just played some background at low vol.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I did that the other day as the party was in serious threat of disbanding, so got everyone together for the finally 20 mins before finish and they had all had enough, so we ended up with 10 mins to spare. just played some background at low vol.
    I've wished I could do that on more than one occasion. I hate seeing a party fizzle out where people dribble away in small groups. Is that a lack of management on my part, a lack of forethought on the couple's part, or both?

Yes I generally do a last song and make a point of bigging it up and as you say that generally knocks the encore on the head. Depending on the wishes of the b & g I either go with a final smooch or it is a circle or lines with a singalong. I too have sometimes done the finale early when numbers are dwindling. Makes sense. Take That "Greatest Day" is another that hasn't been mentioned and Robbie "Angels".
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    I've wished I could do that on more than one occasion. I hate seeing a party fizzle out where people dribble away in small groups. Is that a lack of management on my part, a lack of forethought on the couple's part, or both?
    A kind of an ending at 11pm or thereabouts can also work if you can see lots of people leaving. Leaves an hour to play a garage set or what ever the couple really like (if anything). Got a section on all this on my site: http://yourdj.co.uk/end-of-night/

I don't think you can help things a lot of the time and it can just fizzle out and if the client has had fun then thats the main thing. I once had a drug taking groom. When i got there he was on pills, at the end of the meal he must have been on coke and he disappeared for ages and reappeared out of it on what has to have been heroin as he was totally out of it. He was in his room with his mates for the merest of the night so ended it with the bride and her father LOL. The bride was not phased at all, so it was probably just normal for them
    Last edited by yourdj; 08-09-2015 at 04:19 PM.