Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic Talk - Birthdays

Default Mic Talk - Birthdays

HI all,
    I've just started doing mobile functions and the ones I've been doing are Birthday Parties - 50th, 60th, 70th. Has been a very mixed crowed. I've not really said that much on the mic, maybe a little bit unsure of what to say really. Just wondered if you guys have a set idea of when to say stuff to keep the night running and what kind of things to say? Or should I just be natural and say what I think I should say and what comes to mind?
    Thanks,
    Alan

The key (as far as I'm concerned) is to do what you feel comfortable with. Try not to overdo it to the extent where what you're saying doesn't flow naturally. The last thing you want to do is sound scripted.

Below is a few ideas....

At the beginning of the night:
    Welcome the guests. Introduce yourself. Thank them for joining [insert guest of honours name here] to help celebrate his party.
    If you take requests, invite the guests to come up throughout the evening if they have any favourite tracks they'd like to hear. As requests come in ask who the request is for. Then you can use the mic to occasionally announce who the song is for.

Throughout the Night:
    You can also use the mic when shifting genres, or about to shift genres. E.g. If I'm going into some motown in the next half hour I'll often use the mic to let them know, and again it provides a good opportunity to announce that if anyone has a favourite Motown track they'd like to hear shortly, now would be the perfect time to request it.

End of the Night:
    Again, lots of opprtunities to use the mic. From announcing the last slow dances of the night, to thanking the guests for coming. I always 'Thank them for coming, wish them a goodnight, and a very safe journey home'

There's also plenty of opportunities for a quick soundbite whilst playing a track. Whether it be at the beginning or the end of the track. Even just something smple like saying, "currently number one in the UK top 40". Or even having a little bit of self deprecating fun whilst playing something really cheesy. The trick is to just be as natural as possible. Don't overdo it. Find a style that fits perfectly with your own personality. Remember to speak clearly and not too fast, and to reduce the music volume somewhat so you can be clearly heard throughout the room. The more gigs you do the more you'll feel at ease, and the easier it'll be to use the microphone.

Good luck Alan. :-)

One more thing. Please have a read HERE, then write a little intro post in the 'Newbies' Section. Cheers.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 27-02-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Excellent advice from Shaun in all areas. Above all, be natural, speak slowly and clearly. Do not mumble, or race to the end of your sentences. Good luck.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Darnfatruler View Post
    HI all,
    I've just started doing mobile functions and the ones I've been doing are Birthday Parties - 50th, 60th, 70th. Has been a very mixed crowed. I've not really said that much on the mic, maybe a little bit unsure of what to say really. Just wondered if you guys have a set idea of when to say stuff to keep the night running and what kind of things to say? Or should I just be natural and say what I think I should say and what comes to mind?
    Thanks,
    Alan
    Your last sentence is where you should be focusing. That way you'll slowly develop your own unique style. Just stay aware that you need to be clearly heard and entertaining.
    The beginning of the night is most important. Don't stay quiet and just lurk there peering nervously over your dj booth until someone eventually gets on the floor as many dj's I've seen do.
    When it seems like most people have arrived, kill the music and give them a nice, bright "hello" and how lovely it is to see them, and that "we are here to celebrate Fred's 60th birthday..give him a cheer!". Introduce yourself and invite their requests then play a track that is a bit livelier just to step things up a gear (but not full volume). The audience's confidence in you will then be cemented and the atmosphere will relax. Practise this at home with your set up until you feel comfortable with what you are going to say.
    It's that early part of the evening that's hard to do at first, but it is up to you to break the ice with them and take control of the night.
    Once you've got the first bit under your belt, you'll find that you will feel more comfortable and relaxed in yourself and, as a result, things will flow better mic-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Your last sentence is where you should be focusing. That way you'll slowly develop your own unique style. Just stay aware that you need to be clearly heard and entertaining.
    The beginning of the night is most important. Don't stay quiet and just lurk there peering nervously over your dj booth until someone eventually gets on the floor as many dj's I've seen do.
    When it seems like most people have arrived, kill the music and give them a nice, bright "hello" and how lovely it is to see them, and that "we are here to celebrate Fred's 60th birthday..give him a cheer!". Introduce yourself and invite their requests then play a track that is a bit livelier just to step things up a gear (but not full volume). The audience's confidence in you will then be cemented and the atmosphere will relax. Practise this at home with your set up until you feel comfortable with what you are going to say.
    It's that early part of the evening that's hard to do at first, but it is up to you to break the ice with them and take control of the night.
    Once you've got the first bit under your belt, you'll find that you will feel more comfortable and relaxed in yourself and, as a result, things will flow better mic-wise.
    Lots of great advice throughout the thread especially this one about the early evening part.

It's always the hardest announcement to make but once you get it down, you're golden. I always set myself a time frame depending on how quickly people are arriving before getting it done.

I'd also add, don't just turn on the mic, open your mouth and try to wing it. I'm not saying you need a script but have a good think beforehand about what you want to say and how you're going to say it and you're much less likely to end up doing the old "ummmm hi folks, errrm ummm I'm your DJ and ummmm"

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    . Above all, be natural, speak slowly and clearly. Do not mumble, or race to the end of your sentences.
    And use an accent the guests will understand, this doesn't have to be 1930's BBC announcer, just appropriate to your crowd.
    Best of luck for the future
    The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

I always tell younger DJ's who are are prone to getting a bit tongue tied to write down key lines for introductions, buffets, goodbyes etc. Don't read them back verbatim because that will sound wooden but use them as a guide. Every time you say something slightly off-script that works for you, change the written down lines with the new (and better) words. Eventually, you'll not need any guidance at all.

As already has been said, .....speak clearly.... speak slowly.......use short sentences....leave gaps between sentences (about 2 secs).

To you, stood behind the speakers, your voice should sound very loud. This will make sure that people in the audience can hear you clearly.

Thank you guys, for all of your great advice. It's given me lots more self-belief, knowing that I'm on the right track. I'll be able to shake off those nerves. Its true - the first part of the evening is perhaps the toughest and requires setting the mood, cementing the relationship and building a good rapport.

So in time, I'm sure that using the mic will become more natural.
    Thanks again for the great tips.

Alan

I don't talk too much.
    Start of evening I welcome people.
    If the song isn't well known I will introduce it.
    Announce last orders.
    Thank people for coming at end of night.

There is nothing worse than a DJ who waffles over the music and spoils it.
    Also the DJing singing along to tracks is a huge no no. I hate that, I want to hear the song not the DJ.
    If he wants to sing then he should join a band !