Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Song Of The Night. . .

Default Last Song Of The Night. . .

Morning All,

Just curious as to everybody's choices for the last song of the night at parties, whether it be a birthday/wedding/etc.

Do you all have a favourite or a trademark song you like to finish your gigs with or do you tend to leave that up to the organiser to choose?

Also, have you had any really strange requests to finish the night with?! Think mine has to be an Eminem song that was requested for by a lady who's 50th it was!!

I always ask the customer when I meet them in advance.

Ask the clients and if they haven't a preference take your cue from what you've been playing all night or any other hints.

A good example is a wedding I did last year - during the speeches a lot was made of them both being born in the Chinese Year of the Monkey.
    Last minute flash of inspiration and for the last song I chose the Monkees Theme (Hey hey we're the Monkees) - which they loved. I'd been playing lots of 60's during the evening as well so it fitted right in.

But if you're really at a loss at a wedding playing the First Dance again can be a nice way to finish the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    I always ask the customer when I meet them in advance.
    Can anyone spot the flaw in this cunning plan? We don't all get to meet the client before every gig. ( In many cases I'd be happy to just know what the gig is, before I arrive, when covering for some folk. ). Gary's advice is of course totally sound and commendable.

For umpteen years, I'd normally finish on You'll never walk alone. Didn't always go down well, a wedding for Everton fans springs to mind. Nowadays, Sweet Caroline is my weapon of choice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

More times than not, when I don't have a client request to finish the night with, I end the night with my tried and tested threesome of The Contours' Do You Love Me?, Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of My Life and, finally, The Flamingos Goodnight Sweetheart. I always play a "slowie" at the end as this tends to calm people down a bit and they're less likely to go out and kick each other's head in! This is not just theory - it's something I've noticed for myself after a wise old venue told me this little trick.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I'm on a bit of a mission this year. Unless otherwise specifically requested, I will end every gig this year with My Girl by the Temptations. Nice reminder of the 3 reasons I head out and do it every weekend (my wife and two daughters).

Yeah I know, I just made you a little sick didn't I.

Used to always use Daydream believer dont think it ever failed :-)

Not always but when the energy is right “Thank you for the party - The Dukes” I used to play this years ago and have just started using it again

Quote Originally Posted by boomer View Post
    Not always but when the energy is right “Thank you for the party - The Dukes” I used to play this years ago and have just started using it again
    A 'blast from the past' Used to play this one all the time on vinyl but can't find it on MP3 anywhere

As others have said, it depends on the Client's request or the kind of crowd that you are working with.

"New York, New York" usually goes down well for me for most of the functions I do.
    Ian
    www.limelightandrhythmdisco.co.uk
    Covering Herts, Beds, Bucks, Essex, Middlesex, & NW London ... but have been known to travel further afield. PLI & PAT - member of MDA.

Quote Originally Posted by ian8limelight View Post
    A 'blast from the past' Used to play this one all the time on vinyl but can't find it on MP3 anywhere

"New York, New York" usually goes down well for me for most of the functions I do.
    Agreed for older crowd. Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger or Wonderwall for a younger crowd.