Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: microphone

Default microphone

any recommendations please ?
    not overly impressed with the usual sm58, just does not suit my voice. looking for something quite heavy and not overly expensive. £60 ish area do not mind the used market. just not upto speed yet with all the current "new" developments.
    thanks in advance

I had the same issue in that I found it too "wooly". Then I tried the the Shure beta 58a..Perfect!

You won't get anything better than an SM58 for £60 - SM58s are around £75-£100 anyway.

Try a PG58 though, it may suit your voice better.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Totally agree, the PG58 will give you a deeper, richer sound, personally I prefer the sound to the SM58's and they are about half the price of an SM, they do suffer from more handling noise though. Word of caution, Shure mics are widely faked, so be sure to only buy from an official stockist. Are you sure the SM you have is a real one? (the price you mentioned is suspiciously cheap) it could explain your dissatisfaction with its performance
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    I had the same issue in that I found it too "wooly". Then I tried the the Shure beta 58a..Perfect!
    Snap. Absolutely. Totally agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    You won't get anything better than an SM58 for £60 - SM58s are around £75-£100 anyway.

I don't know how it stacks up pricewise, but my weapon of choice is a Sennheiser 825. Suits my voice much better. In case you're wondering why I didn't suggest the Beta 58, well I expect it's over budget, and mine's a radio mic, so doesn't come out every gig. Lovely mic though.

Don't rule out Audio Technica either, I have one of their radio mics, and love it. I've not used their cabled ones, but I'd expect them to be worth a look.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Find your local EV stockist & try some of theirs out. I got a few from Clive at CRS for a job where we needed some additional mics. Swapped my SM58s for them as I sound better through them. N/D767a is the model I'm using. A lot less handling noise when I'm holding it compared to the SM58 too (which is a bonus when you wear as many rings as I do).

One piece of advice, try before you buy.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

looking around that price bracket second hand wise , I remember getting a nice heavy built one from maplins many years ago and it was leaps and bounds over the sm 58's.. I have tried a couple since but they just do not do anything for my voice, its a bit low but the sm58's seems to just be , well uggghhh I can not quite put my finger on it but its wrong.
    open to any ideas really, have used a very expensive audio technical one and liked it but it felt light.
    really want to get away from the handling noise that you seem to pick up on some of the cheaper end of the market but if someone shows me something that is viable I am always open to ideas.
    going to have a look at the other shures listed and see where I can try them out..
    thanks for the replies all .. much appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My weapon of choice is a Sennheiser 825. Suits my voice much better.
    A mic that produces subtitles ????

The Keyboard is mightier than the Sword ?
    Occasions Of Excellence For One & All In Cornwall

I like the Beyerdynamic TGX48. Slightly rounder but more detailed sounding than the SM58. Around the same price new but can be had on special/2nd hand for around the 30-40 squid mark.

If you're lucky enough to find a genuine second-hand one, the Shure Beta 57 is a real winner. Originally designed as an instrument mic, it's also superb for female vocalists and for males with 'bears breath' deep vocals.
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."