Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoin

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    This is all so exciting, I am glad I sold my TV 10 years ago. Who needs it with this post.
    Toby, the thread title make it very clear what it's about...if it doesn't interest you, don't click on it

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Bit slow but finally all went through and can now buy and sell with ease.
    All through Coinbase? Have you had a bank transfer back into your bank? If so, how did that go? I have an account at Kraken which is verified as far as it can go, and their fees seem a lot cheaper for cashing out...

Got exciting about 4PM today didn't it!?
    Indeed, bit of a downturn at the moment, though. A friend of mine has held NXT for some time now, he's done quite well this past week (almost 300%). I wish I'd bought some IOTA on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    All through Coinbase? Have you had a bank transfer back into your bank? If so, how did that go? I have an account at Kraken which is verified as far as it can go, and their fees seem a lot cheaper for cashing out...

Indeed, bit of a downturn at the moment, though. A friend of mine has held NXT for some time now, he's done quite well this past week (almost 300%). I wish I'd bought some IOTA on Monday
    Yeah, took 1 day for funds to arrive into my account via Coinbase. I've not looked into Kraken at the moment - its on the 'to-do' list of Bitcoin.

The fees on CB are a bit tough to swallow but if your buy/sell are timed correctly it's not an issue.

Not heard of NXT or IOTA. Time for some research!
    Nathan.

Not heard of NXT or IOTA. Time for some research!
    NXT may be one to watch. IMHO stay away from IOTA, it's rise was due to a "partnership" with Microsoft, which turned out to just be someone from Microsoft saying something about IOTA.

There's been a few scare stories in the press the last couple of weeks like why you shouldn't invest in BitCoin. I'm guesing from the dramatic rises and falls that you're mentioning that it must be a pretty high risk investment. Would you say it's more risky than dabbling in the stock market? And have the exchanges become more stable as I recall reading that one went under in the early days and people lost money so is it safer these days?
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    There's been a few scare stories in the press the last couple of weeks like why you shouldn't invest in BitCoin.
    A lot of the scare stories are coming from bankers, fund managers and city traders. I can't think why, it's not like they have an interest in keeping things as they are?

I'm guesing from the dramatic rises and falls that you're mentioning that it must be a pretty high risk investment. Would you say it's more risky than dabbling in the stock market?
    Definitely. You can lose your shirt on both, but the volatility of crypto currencies means it's not unusual for them to fall or rise 20% or more in a day, for no apparent reason. I've got some very wealthy clients / friends who are happy if their shares portfolio makes 5% in a year

And have the exchanges become more stable as I recall reading that one went under in the early days and people lost money so is it safer these days?
    Exchanges are hackable, nomatter how secure they claim to be. Use them to buy and sell by all means (and, unless you're trading to friends and family, or localbitcoin, you have to use them) but don't keep your bitcoins in an exchange long term - move them to a wallet that only you control, and keep that secure. If your bitcoins are held in a wallet at an exchange, and that gets hacked, you risk losing your bitcoins. Unless you (and only you) hold the private key to a wallet, it and any bitcoin balance in it is at risk.

A lot of the scare stories are coming from bankers, fund managers and city traders. I can't think why, it's not like they have an interest in keeping things as they are?

Definitely. You can lose your shirt on both, but the volatility of crypto currencies means it's not unusual for them to fall or rise 20% or more in a day, for no apparent reason. I've got some very wealthy clients / friends who are happy if their shares portfolio makes 5% in a year

Exchanges are hackable, nomatter how secure they claim to be. Use them to buy and sell by all means (and, unless you're trading to friends and family, or localbitcoin, you have to use them) but don't keep your bitcoins in an exchange long term - move them to a wallet that only you control, and keep that secure. If your bitcoins are held in a wallet at an exchange, and that gets hacked, you risk losing your bitcoins. Unless you (and only you) hold the private key to a wallet, it and any bitcoin balance in it is at risk.
    Given that I'm now a single dad to three kids and I no longer have any income from DJing, I don't have the spare funds to have a go at things like this anymore. But I am interested in it (like most things tech and finance related!). Maybe one day, but knowing my luck, BTC would have reached $1m by then!!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Having nightmares with my Bread wallet at the moment. Been waiting 8 days for a transaction that should be up to 24 hours.

This surge and fees is awful. Segwit needs to get a move on.
    Nathan.

Having nightmares with my Bread wallet at the moment. Been waiting 8 days for a transaction that should be up to 24 hours.

This surge and fees is awful. Segwit needs to get a move on.
    I've never used breadwallet - does it let you set your own fees? Looking https://estimatefee.com/ , you should be paying around $7.50 USD (currently 0.0004BTC) for a transaction that's confirmed within a maximum of 24 hours. If you need it quicker, pay more (for example within 20 mins = $19, 0.001BTC).

Also - see https://bitcoinfees.earn.com - the "Inf" at the top of that chart is infinity....miners will confirm transactions that are paying more, so if you don't offer enough for the calculation, you could be waiting a long time...

Your options: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/qu...lockchain-info

I've never used breadwallet - does it let you set your own fees? Looking https://estimatefee.com/ , you should be paying around $7.50 USD (currently 0.0004BTC) for a transaction that's confirmed within a maximum of 24 hours. If you need it quicker, pay more (for example within 20 mins = $19, 0.001BTC).

Also - see https://bitcoinfees.earn.com - the "Inf" at the top of that chart is infinity....miners will confirm transactions that are paying more, so if you don't offer enough for the calculation, you could be waiting a long time...

Your options: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/qu...lockchain-info

No, only express transfer or economy. If I knew a 24 hour process would be 9 days I would of picked express.

I'll check them links out, see what's what. Thanks.
    Last edited by DJWilson; 18-12-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Nathan.

After a crappy year, at least some things are doing well!

Bitcoin hits all-time high rising above $20,000

Did you cash in Nathan, or still HODLing?