Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Speakers

Default Active Speakers

Hi All i,m looking for a set of active speakers around the Medway area to buy.
    Whats the best ones to look out for. I have a set of ProSound passive speakers at the moment wich put out a rely good sound a bass.
    The run 250w RMS and 500w Peak. So im looking for something like that.
    Thanks

Look out for Mackie, RCF, Alto, DB Technologies - probably second hand with your budget, apart from the Alto.

All will sound better than your Prosound.

i'm looking at getting some KAM RZ15A ACTIVE SPEAKER
    These any good

Quote Originally Posted by chriskkj View Post
    These any good
    In short, No.

I second Darren's advice above, please don't ignore it.

I've said this many many times based on my own experience. Buy good brands, buy once. Buy cheap, and you'll regret it and have to buy again and will end up spending more in the long run.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by chriskkj View Post
    These any good
    They're not a major step up from your Prosound, and they don't have a particularly good name. All the ones Darren listed are reliable and reputable makes. You may however have to look carefully to find some of those, if funds are limited. Altos are likely to be cheapest, and ought to be a noticeable step up from Prosound.
    If you could give us some idea of your budget, we could perhaps give better advice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Altos are likely to be cheapest, and ought to be a noticeable step up from Prosound.
    +1 vote for the Alto's. I've been stunned by how good they sound for the money. One other bit of advice - always listen before you buy, it'll avoid a lot of disappointment later.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Like as already has been said, stay clear of the KAMs, go for the well respected RCFs, Mackie 450v2 (not the Mk1s or the Thumps) DB techs, JBLs, EVs and possibly W Audio should be considered, people who I know who have purchased them, liked them.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

"Buy cheap......buy twice" - it's a boring old mantra but it's very true. Like the guys above have all mentioned, avoid parting with your hard-earned for a PA system that sounds average at best.

Being a former retailer & sound engineer as well as a DJ, my money would currently go on the Yamaha DXR15's....retailing at around £1100 a pair. It's a fair old sum to shell out, but these speakers have a 700w power rating (131db), they're not prohibitively heavy and they give good enough bass response to negate the need for a sub in most average sized venues. Plus they have a seven-year warrantee.
    Because of their weight, the Turbosound Milan M15's are probably a bit cheaper now too. I have a pair....back breaking at 28kgs each, but excellent sound quality and awesome styling. Power is about 400w per box, but as always with Turbosound, it sounds a lot louder than comparable cabs.

There is so much to choose from out there, I do feel sorry for those DJs who are not as technically-minded as geeks like me! But then again, we're here to help you!
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

Thanks for all the advice. I have about £500 at the moment
    Just waiting to sell my Gemsound speakers to get a bit more money.

You can get a pair of Alto's (12"s) for that (sorry can't remember the model no's!) or, for about £50 more, the 15"s. Or the Mackie Thumps which some would recommend.

But please stay away from the KAM stuff. My first set of speakers were KAM and thought they were decent - until I got a pair of Prolight Concepts E-115s (these were badged by Prolight but it's likely they were made in the same stable as the W-Audio stuff - apparently!!) and these blew the KAMs out of the water. In fact, the KAMs, for the past 7 or so years, have made a lovely stand for my office printer!!

I've finally secured the funding I've been waiting for the last 4 years (flippin' recession!) so I'm investing in a good set of active speakers and a whole bunch of new stuff this year. At this time last year, I was going to get the Alto's but decided to wait. But they did sound good for their price, I will say that!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!