Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Favourite Light Ever.....

Default My Favourite Light Ever.....

I've been a mobile DJ since 1982. Since then I've used and seen a lot of fantastic effects. For brightness. Value, reliability I love my Constella Pro Twin. I bought this in 2001 from BaZ in Lowestoft for £150 and it's been a regular effect since then. In 13 years of service I've changed the cheap 250w buld twice.

If they still made them I'd buy another. Abstract did a similar Twin Fx light

Nostalgia wise, Martin Magic Moon. First serious effect I ever bought. Exceedingly heavy though.
    Second in this category, Pulsar Zero 3000/4000/3001/4001 controller. Pretty much did everything that a Powerbar does nowadays, but with light/spotboxes. Bonus was that if you wanted more, you built more, and simply daisy chained them. Also, they kept you warm in cold venues.

Value for money, Soundlab Vasto. I got two of these for the price of an Abstract Twister, on the advice of the disco shop. The Twister is now scrap, and the Vastos are still in use every week at a local club.

Modern(ish) day. Well that's easy. Powerbar. No contest. Honourable mentions go to the two Jazz Source moonflowers I bought for £30 on Ebay, which are the default items used with the Powerbar on the overhead, and the two Chauvet Scorpion RBM lasers which are the default items lashed onto the powerbar when it's freestanding. On their own, they're not particularly breathtaking, but doubled up, I love them.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Ah yes the Martin Magic Moon. Always wanted one of those. Looks heavy!

2nd place for me after the Constella Pro Twin goes to my Mad Powerflowers. I think made until about 2005. Very bright and a large spread using the HTI discharge lamp. Still quite sought after by DJs.

Not going back as far as you guys, but my favourites were the Twister 4 HP when linked master/slave. They put on a very impressive show!

Hopefully an LED equivalent is round the corner, they all seem to be a bit on the dim side. And by dim, I don't mean they're not intelligent lighting

Twister 4 HP is a fine light. Very good examples around still.

I've always thought the Martin Acrobat was a fantastic light, and still do. It's a shame a LED version was never brought out, I still have some but they rarely go out these days. Current favourite is the Thomann version of the power bar, IMO unbeatable for value for your money
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Oh my favourite subject, lighting.

I can se past my Twister 4 HP's. even went to the expense of full refurb for two of them which included the cases getting powder coated.

current best buy has got to be chauvet core bar 4's par56 when using them with the scrims -
    Attached Images Attached Images           

I loved my abstract scatter spots, had 8 on 2 bars with some par 36's really liked them nothing special but just had something different about them.
    martin 812's were next on the love list .. along with the tas synchro types ..

Another firm favourite of mine were the NJD Chaos. Fantastic 100w auto moons were considered very cutting edge in the 1990's

Abstract Extreme XP5 pro , room filling light , I retired mine , but I wont part with them yet
    darylldj.co.uk , serving hampshire , Surrey and sussex