Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The differing reactions of audiences to live and recorded music

Default The differing reactions of audiences to live and recorded music

Inspired by by the dialogue in Lee Live's thread.
    How often have you played your little heart out for the early part of the night, gone through every genre ( and Tamla Motown as well ) in your box, to absolutely zero reaction whatsoever, and when the band come on, they've only played two chords of Johnny B Goode, and the floor's full? Why? I've seen it time and time again.

There is undoubtedly something about live music ( and it may well be undefinable ) that just connects with punters, often in a way that we can never hope to. I still maintain that the best recipe for a successful function is a good live artist/Band and a good disco. ( And I've also worked with acts that got paid off after three songs, and you get back on early. Does wonders for my ego, mind you. )

It's unfair to expect live artists to do four or five hours straight, and having a DJ ready to take up the slack is perfect. As alluded to elsewhere, a laptop or CD player on autopilot, or a roadie picking random tunes does not adequately fulfill the role of DJ.

Equally, the DJ jumping out from behind the booth, and giving karaoke renditions of My Way, Pretty Woman, and Brown Eyed Girl without introduction, clear break, and a very definite lighting change from dancefloor to stage/performance area is just as poor.

Fire away folks, the floor is yours.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Was there a question in there?

There's nothing quite like seeing and hearing a (good) live performance. Give me that over a DJ anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Was there a question in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    How often have you played your little heart out for the early part of the night, gone through every genre ( and Tamla Motown as well ) in your box, to absolutely zero reaction whatsoever, and when the band come on, they've only played two chords of Johnny B Goode, and the floor's full?
    An interrogative there, I feel.

There's nothing quite like seeing and hearing a (good) live performance. Give me that over a DJ anyday
    Well at least you grasped the concept of the thread, even if you were unsure of the question. So now, the $64,000 question:
    Why do audiences often react more favourably to a live act?

Good thread.

As we move deeper into the 21st Century, it seems that live music is becoming less popular with the younger generation in my humble experience. They are more used to the celebrity DJ culture heroes, and lately when I've been 'supporting' bands at weddings, there has been a growing call for me to get back on as soon as possible.
    Personally, I love live music in almost all forms (providing the perpetrators have a degree of talent of course!) but I definitely believe it's a generation thing. I used to sing in a couple of bands, and considered the whole backing-track-vocalist thing.....but then when I gave it proper consideration, was I doing it for the audiences' benefit or mine? Too many DJ-singer combos haven't asked themselves that question......
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

How often have you played your little heart out for the early part of the night, gone through every genre ( and Tamla Motown as well ) in your box, to absolutely zero reaction whatsoever, and when the band come on, they've only played two chords of Johnny B Goode, and the floor's full?

Never! I have them rockin' from the first song.

Ok....I'll wake up now!

Well at least you grasped the concept of the thread, even if you were unsure of the question. So now, the $64,000 question:
    Why do audiences often react more favourably to a live act?
    It's a good question. I suppose its partly to do with the visual aspect of the group working in tandem with each other - you can actually see them playing the music and feeding off each others vibe. Where as us lowly DJs are there (mostly) alone. There's less of a visual impact of a DJ.

I think it's the visual/interaction side of it. The reason I say this, is because my friend booked a band for his wedding who filled the floor, but it was so blatant to anyone with half an ear for music that they weren't playing live. The singer was live, but it was clearly a backing track that they were pretending to play along to (you'd think the drumming track and lack of a drummer might have given it away).

Anyway, yes - definitely the visual/interaction element.

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    As we move deeper into the 21st Century, it seems that live music is becoming less popular with the younger generation in my humble experience. ..
    I'm not so sure it's becoming less popular, but it's certainly becoming much more expensive. In effect this reduces their attractiveness to many people,

It's a good question. I suppose its partly to do with the visual aspect of the group working in tandem with each other - you can actually see them playing the music and feeding off each others vibe. Where as us lowly DJs are there (mostly) alone. .
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    I think it's the visual/interaction side of it.
    Anyway, yes - definitely the visual/interaction element.
    Now that's one aspect I'd never considered. Interesting.

There's less of a visual impact of a DJ
    I've met you. Jury's out on that one.

As someone who has played in wedding bands previously and still plays in a band (that no wedding would have ) I think the big difference is the energy a band can put out.

There's just something that bit more tangible about the live energy of a GOOD live band cranking out Johnny B Goode compared to playing the recorded track.

Live music is played as it was meant to be heard too more or less - what we're playing is edited, compressed, EQ'd, mixed, mastered versions of songs which a lot of the time lack that punch and raw power that the band in the studio or on stage would achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    Good thread.

As we move deeper into the 21st Century, it seems that live music is becoming less popular with the younger generation in my humble experience. They are more used to the celebrity DJ culture heroes, and lately when I've been 'supporting' bands at weddings, there has been a growing call for me to get back on as soon as possible.
    I disagree. I think live music is still as popular as ever with the younger generation - and getting younger! Events like the Radio 1 Big Weekend, our own North East Live, the festivals such as Glastonbury, etc. all seem to sell out their tickets pretty quickly. The thing with concerts is that they are an "audio-visual extravaganza" to coin a phrase. It's not just about the music but about the performance, the theatre, the lighting, the special effects, pyrotechnics, etc. All these elements combined make up the experience. People want more than just to hear a song - they can listen to the radio or their MP3 players for that. Even with smaller (and much smaller!) live gigs, there is still more of a visual thing going on. People will say "I'm going to the pub to see a band" and never "I'm going to listen to the band". Yet us smaller working DJs will have people coming to hear us and dance a bit. I've never heard anyone say "I'm going to see Dazzy D this weekend".

It's a good question. I suppose its partly to do with the visual aspect of the group working in tandem with each other - you can actually see them playing the music and feeding off each others vibe. Where as us lowly DJs are there (mostly) alone. There's less of a visual impact of a DJ.
    Totally agree. With a band there is interaction between the band members which is something we don't have. I did a few shows years ago where I was simply working the decks but working with a female presenter who was out front (imagine Lily Savage but as a real woman!!). She would interact with the crowd and also banter off me and the whole setup took things to a new level. And the audiences at the time seemed to love us (which actually got us barred from a venue once but that's a different story! ). So I get the band interaction thing as well as audience interaction. Working as a lone DJ just doesn't have that kind of extra energy and performance.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    I disagree. I think live music is still as popular as ever with the younger generation - and getting younger! Events like the Radio 1 Big Weekend, our own North East Live, the festivals such as Glastonbury, etc. all seem to sell out their tickets pretty quickly. The thing with concerts is that they are an "audio-visual extravaganza" to coin a phrase. It's not just about the music but about the performance, the theatre, the lighting, the special effects, pyrotechnics, etc. All these elements combined make up the experience.
    Live music as part of a festival or a totally live gig is not the point I was trying to make. When and where live acts appear at weddings and functions alongside a DJ, that's when the interest in them withers with the younger generation, whereas the older folk tolerate it more. It isn't often you get an 'audio-visual extravaganza' from a pair of tired Mackies and a hastily-assembled LED lighting t-bar!
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."