Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The differing reactions of audiences to live and recorded music

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    There's less of a visual impact of a DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by excalibur
    I've met you. Jury's out on that one.
    You cheeky Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    As we move deeper into the 21st Century, it seems that live music is becoming less popular with the younger generation in my humble experience. They are more used to the celebrity DJ culture heroes, and lately when I've been 'supporting' bands at weddings, there has been a growing call for me to get back on as soon as possible
    Just saw this post, and to be honest, I think you're right. Possibly worth another thread, but who are the 'big' bands now? I think the younger generation are being deprived of proper rock music. People I know are clambering for Killers tickets, but why? They're living off old material, and IMO haven't released a decent tune for 7 years!
    And if you combine that with the fact of bands needing to tour more to earn money (profits from album sales these days are allegedly very poor) - it doesn't look great for rock/indie fans.

Anyway, that shouldn't stop wedding and pub bands from doing well, but maybe people are finding better value in DJs these days? Is it easier to find a reputable and quality DJ online now? Is it less of a gamble than a band?

I think it's all down to the music that's being played or the energy that either we or the band bring. I've gone on after a band and played something like Crazy in Love - Beyonce and fill the dance floor and other times I've been playing what I call filler music which isn't particularly exciting just chugging along type and the band come on and play something very energetic and they fill the dance floor.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    When and where live acts appear at weddings and functions alongside a DJ, that's when the interest in them withers with the younger generation, whereas the older folk tolerate it more.
    Probably because you are talking about a different sort of act. Kids aren't going to be interested in function and wedding bands doing covers, but they will be interested in the Arctic Monkeys playing at Reading or Glastonbury.

Most responses have already covered my thoughts on this.... the difference AFAIC is the energy in the room created via interaction/engagement & 'visual spectacle'. Gererally, people watch people, not lights.
    (And more so with a full band vs solo artist with BTs.)

On the other hand the big disadvantage a live act has to DJs is that it's very difficult to reproduce the same continuity of music as DJ provides. (Unless it's a particularly tight band or adept frontman. )
    If you've got a load of "watchers" in the crowd, with a live act they've got something to watch and it's an another excuse to stay sat down and just watch.

BUT live performances, IMHO, are easier to personalise - as in make a guest feel the song is "just for them" (at least that's the aim) using eye contact and/or shifting focus techniques & interaction. This is good to involve non-dancers within the "action" - and can later coax them up when they might not have otherwise. (In theory)

There IS the danger of course of it becoming toooooo cabaret/Butlins....there's a thin line here that's down to the client's ideas, I think.

For a DJ to do this, it's down the "personality DJ" route....which for some reason some clients (in my experience) perceive as cheesey - even though it's acceptable for a live artist to use virtually the same techniques "out front". Unsure why "showmanship" for live acts is perceived as "cheesey" for DJs to do... :-/

Live bands just don't do it for me, give me a good dj or comedian any day of the week.
    long live lightboxes..........lots of em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Is it easier to find a reputable and quality DJ online now? Is it less of a gamble than a band?
    You've hit the nail squarely on the head, I think. With a DJ, even if he/she is truly awful on the mic, etc, at least the tunes they play will be the versions that are widely recognised. If you book a function band and the singing is all over the place with long solos and self-indulgent performances, that's your night ruined.

It probably sounds like I hate live music, but it couldn't be further from the truth. I dislike poor live music, and there's far too much of it around on the function/wedding circuit at the moment.
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

I'd agree that a lot of it is to do with the energy.

Which significantly includes volume - in my experience even though I personally like my music loud I tend to play it at what I consider to be respectable volumes (dependent on various factors) and frequently find bands only have a 'loud' setting. I've had gigs before where I've been trying to restrain the volume so Great Aunt Edna can still have a conversation at the other end of a marquee only to eventually risk increasing the volume and finding that's the point at which the dancefloor kicks off properly.

Similarly (remembering it's mainly lighting I do) the lights can have a huge help in building the energy and atmosphere. Next time you see any TV clip of a band playing live close your eyes and see if the energy's still there.

Default Live music

I have been a DJ for about 40 years.
    However I have also been a guitarist too.
    I play mostly pop and rock music on guitar.

In latter years I often took the guitar along with the disco and if a song came up I knew I would play along with the guitar.
    With lead guitar parts I would slightly be louder than the music so as to come through a bit clearer.

I basically got little reaction to this, I guess it has never been done before.
    I played along to rock tracks for 3 hours one night. I got so into it I didnt feel the time pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ckpr2 View Post
    I have been a DJ for about 40 years.
    However I have also been a guitarist too.
    I play mostly pop and rock music on guitar.

In latter years I often took the guitar along with the disco and if a song came up I knew I would play along with the guitar.
    With lead guitar parts I would slightly be louder than the music so as to come through a bit clearer.

I basically got little reaction to this, I guess it has never been done before.
    I played along to rock tracks for 3 hours one night. I got so into it I didnt feel the time pass.
    Interesting... how would that work though? Surely the lead guitar part is already playing in the recorded track, so it would be akin to singing along to a standard audio track rather than a karaoke/instrumental track?