Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big list of Do NOT Plays!

How many people planning a party actually consult ALL of their guests to discuss what music can and can't be played.

I would imagine for weddings (my regular bread and butter) its mainly the bride and groom plus a couple of friends, or occasionally their mum and dad, sitting down with a blank sheet pf paper deciding what they like to listen to. Then they will sometimes consider music for other age ranges / groups of people and finally, add "other songs that you see fit to play" as an afterthought.

Non playlists are usually only two or three specific tracks that have personal bad memories but anain, occasionally I get a whole host of no, no, no, no... when you know damn well, you will get requests in the night.

I've chucked many a list away on the night and come away with "thank you's" ringing in my ears.

I find that the majority of my customers DO ask their guests in advance and I encourage it too.
    I'll send them a request sheet and advise them that sometimes it's a good idea to see what everyone wants.

why do you guys allow so many songs on a playlist.

surely you are the wedding expert and be using your musical knowledge and expertise

I don't understand all these large playlist you guys allow

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post

surely you are the wedding expert and be using your musical knowledge and expertise

How do you deal with a large playlist from a customer or do you, like me, state a limit?

It's a difficult one, yes they're paying their money so should be allowed to choose the music if they like. However, they probably aren't aware how unsuitable their requests may be.

I had a wedding once like Matty mentioned - the playlist was full of middle of the road, generally downbeat stuff like Mumford & Sons and Paul Weller. Nothing wrong with that sort of stuff at all (especially not Paul Weller!), but it's meant to be a party, and it doesn't quite cut it for most people.

I always encourage requests too, but it can very much go for or against you!

Sometimes there is a track which you'd never consider playing, but it has special meaning to the guests, and so fills the room with cheers and the floor fills. You might find the same crowd don't react to the 'tried and tested', so it can take a while to find the music to draw them in.

And on the flipside - yes, some requests are just plain awful. I find it annoying when people are really obviously into one particular artist or band, and start requesting album tracks or B-sides from them. You'd think they'd realise that it's pretty much only going to be for their benefit

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    How do you deal with a large playlist from a customer or do you, like me, state a limit?
    Maximum of 10 each for must and do not plays
    Ask what they want the policy to be if someone requests one of the do not plays (9 times out of 10 they'll say play it if someone asks)

If they dig their feet in ask if they told the cake maker how many eggs to stick in the bowl or the chauffeur how to put petrol in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    If they dig their feet in ask if they told the cake maker how many eggs to stick in the bowl or the chauffeur how to put petrol in the car
    No, but they would tell the cake maker what kind of cake, filling and icing they wanted and the chauffeur the make and model of car required.

As an update the Wedding was Saturday and I've got to say the Groom was spot on. Of his "Do Nots" there was none of them requested by the other guests. We had a good mix of other stuff for all ranging from RUN DMC to Thin Lizzy.

So, it goes to prove that the B&G really do know their guests better than we do and although we can do our DJ thing it doesn't hurt to have the input from them as to what's in & what's out.

Afterall we're there to provide a service for someone's big day and I'll continue to do it like this with playlists and pre requests by guests.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post

Because it's their party and their wedding. If you sell yourself as someone who is flexible, friendly and experienced then you only get long lists from people who want to be hands on. Most large request lists come from people who have been at weddings and not really enjoyed the music usually because it's the same old rubbish.

I understand why some DJs have limits to their requests and if you're upfront about it with the client at time of booking then that's just a way of doing business. The amount of stories I've heard from various sources about providing a DJ with a request list just a few short weeks before the wedding and their manner of reply is pretty shocking.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    No, but they would tell the cake maker what kind of cake, filling and icing they wanted and the chauffeur the make and model of car required.
    Indeed, they're making a choice in the big picture and letting the professional get on with the details...