Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Party request.

Default Street Party request.

Hi All,

I've just had a request for a quote to provide the music for a street party for kids. 3 - 7 in the afternoon.

From my understanding, since this would be a public performance, and not a private gig, that a public play licence would be required, which I don't have.

Has anyone done a street party, and know the legal side of this?

The party is actually going to be paid for by an housing association.

Many thanks
    Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Hi All,

I've just had a request for a quote to provide the music for a street party for kids. 3 - 7 in the afternoon.

From my understanding, since this would be a public performance, and not a private gig, that a public play licence would be required, which I don't have.

Has anyone done a street party, and know the legal side of this?

The party is actually going to be paid for by an housing association.

Many thanks
    Edward.
    PPL/PRS unsurprisingly want you to have one.

Wandsworth Council however seem to take a more pragmatic view.

Me, I've got absolutely no idea. Sorry.
    There are a couple of members on here who are likely to have much more idea.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Grey area, this one.

Having organised a street party before, and getting all the necessary advice and permissions, technically, if the attendees have all been given individual invitations then it could be said that it's a private party and not accessible to members of the "general public" then a public performance licence would not be required. However, this is not the case if anyone can turn up. If the party has been advertised in advance inviting the wider public to attend then it's no longer a private party and you will need a public performance license.

The best person to speak to is Licensing Officer at your local council who will give you all the advice you need.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Does it really matter?
    Indeed it does. That's why we are trying to give the best and most accurate advice possible.

Who is responsible for looking into this, the DJ or the organiser?

It's only open for street residents, so will not be classed as public, however, if live or recorded music is to be played, then potentially a TENS licence is required (From my initial findings)

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Who is responsible for looking into this, the DJ or the organiser?

It's only open for street residents, so will not be classed as public, however, if live or recorded music is to be played, then potentially a TENS licence is required (From my initial findings)
    The TEN (Temporary Event Notice) Licence from your local council will give permission for holding the event. I have come across that with local shops when I've done outdoor promotions for them.

Link here: https://www.gov.uk/temporary-events-notice

As previous I suggest you speak with the local council and speak with PRS for music to discuss what is actually required. If they tell you and you comply with whatever they advise, you are home and dry.

"Does it really matter" - what a stupid comment.

Quite simply it's not the booked Dj's problem. And don't call me stupid

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post

"Does it really matter" - what a stupid comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Quite simply it's not the booked Dj's problem. And don't call me stupid
    Now now ladies, step away from the
    First up, as I said earlier, it's an important matter. If it stops an organiser or DJ from falling foul of the law, that's a good thing.
    Second, I'm not convinced that the DJ can claim " it's nothing to do with me guv ", cos I'm sure they'll be responsible somewhere ( Though I'm prtepared to be proved wrong on this )
    And thirdly, my favourite area of expertise, semantics. While the comment may possibly be construed as " stupid ", it in no way follows that the person who made the initial comment is in fact stupid, why I've made many a stupid comment or question when it comes to computers.

It may not be the DJs responsibility to ensure or obtain the licence for the particular premises and event involved (unless you are the promoter perhaps).

However, it will always remain the responsibility of the DJ to check that the venue you are working in, is correctly licensed for music before working there. If the venue is not licensed, and if it happens to be visited by the license enforcement team or an inspector then you may find yourself being held jointly liable with the venue owner should a prosecution be considered, so its always wise to ask, if their music license is not visible in the premises or above the door.

"I didn't know" is not an excuse.

And, yes, it was the suggestion that it "did not matter" that I considered stupid not the person making the comment.