Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Party request.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Who is responsible for looking into this, the DJ or the organiser?
    Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    Quite simply it's not the booked Dj's problem. And don't call me stupid
    That is not correct at all. It's the DJ's responsibility to check that correct licences are in place before performing. It's the DJ that is effectively breaking the law by playing the music regardless of who the promoter or organiser is. The organiser isn't the one playing the music! There's been a case in the local paper of a pub that didn't have the correct licence in place (it wasn't renewed after it had expired) and the authorities took joint action against the landlord and the DJ. I think the landlord had argued that he had hired the DJ as a "self-contained" service and that would have included organising the appropriate licences and permissions. The DJ had argued that it'd always been the responsibility of the venue to arrange the licence. I think the ruling was that both parties had "joint and several liability" to ensure that the licences were in place at the time of the performance. I remember this article quite vividly as this was when I included licences in my T&Cs. I can't find anything regarding this on line but there are a lot of articles where gym owners are saying they use freelance trainers and teacher's and it's their responsibility for PPL and not the gym's. I can easily see this being applied in our situation as this sounds very much like my landlord v DJ case.

The Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is not a licence to allow you to play copyrighted music. It is the document issued when you've satisfied the local council that followed all the laws and by-laws for the locality and they are assured that you are capable and responsible. You would have also had to satisfy them on H&S grounds, too. It's basically saying "Yeah, we're happy you've done all your groundwork and you can have your event now"!!! To play your music, you may still need PPL.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 20-04-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Last edited by musicology; 21-04-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Bit if a twister, this one. Who plays background music at fetes? If so do you check they have the correct license because you should do.

http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/Bu...cost/Churches/

Always worth checking. I play at a council run fete every year and they provide the PPL.