Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: PC geek? Is this a decent deal for desktop?

Wink PC geek? Is this a decent deal for desktop?

I'm changing my desktop very soon as my current one has had all the upgrades of RAM etc that it's capable of running and it runs vista. So it's time for it to go.
    Usage for the pc is all the usual Office type programmes ,some occasional video editing

I've been looking in various places and found this tower running the following spec:

Name:  pc tower.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  46.0 KB

Brand: HP
    Memory (RAM):
    8 GB
    Product Line: XW6400
    Hard Drive: 1000 GB
    MPN: Save around £1000 in hardware and software
    Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Processor Type: Intel Xeon Dual Core
    Features: Graphics Card Dual Display
    Processor Speed: 4.66 GHz (2X 2.33GHz)
    Anti-Virus Anti-Spyware:
    Microsoft Security Essentials (Life Time Updates)
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 (64 Bit)
    Warranty:
    1 Year Warranty
    Operating System Edition:
    Home Premium (64 Bit)
    Wireless Broadband & Network:
    WIFI enabled

Price £244.

I'm pretty sure this will suit my needs but just need some additional clarification. Oh, before the first one does it.....No I don't want a MAC
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Looks fine - things to check out for video editing are the graphics card and processor and make sure you can upgrade the RAM if needs be.

Processor might be a tad slow but for price not half bad as I was looking only last month for a new PC. Is it new or reconditioned?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Looks fine - things to check out for video editing are the graphics card and processor and make sure you can upgrade the RAM if needs be.
    Thanks Darren

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Processor might be a tad slow but for price not half bad as I was looking only last month for a new PC. Is it new or reconditioned?
    Recon from a corporate client.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

ram is ddr2 registered so if 8gb is not enough for you (it should be) then that will cost a bit. 4gb is roughly £110 new
    the graphics card is nothing special but if your just doing basics then it will do, you could upgrade it though.
    as a workstation it should be ok at video encoding .. twin xeons will be good at number crunching ..
    full specs http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q...a/12505_na.pdf

Looking at the spec the processor is a dual core Xeon (Dual-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 5140/ 2.33 GHz,1333 MHz FSB) which benchmarks at around about 1652 and ranks 921 here. That's not amazingly fast by modern standards (most i3's outrank it), but it'll do most jobs without much bother.

I don't know what Intel are playing at these days with their CPU ranges - they don't make it easy for the public to understand what's good and what isn't, i3's can benchmark from 1300 to 4000 on the Passmark test, i5's overlap heavily scoring 1400 to 7000, and i7's score anything from 2000 to 9000. I've spent most of this weekend trying to work out what laptop to buy (as my current one isn't keeping up with software mixing 4 channels of 24bit audio + video) and it's a nightmare trying to understand which ones are good and which aren't.

Almost makes me want to buy a Mac. But not quite

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography