Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you selll photographs taken from the night?

Default Do any of you selll photographs taken from the night?

Apologies if this topic has been discussed already. Tried searching for upsellings, extras and "sell photos" but not got anywhere.

This week I have had 3 couples email me for HQ copies of the photos that I took at their weddings.

I must be doing something right. One wants to use a pic for the Thank You card. Another is getting one enlarged on a canvas to give to his partner as a wedding gift.

Going forward I wonder if I ought to upsell this as a service.

Does any on here sell the photographs that they have taken?

What sort of monies are reasonable? I was thinking £5 per image or £40 the lot.

Many thanks

Lee
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Personally, I'm not a photographer so I can't justify selling any photos I might take at gigs.

In fact, I think it's a bit harsh, really. They've given you their consent to use their images (as in physical appearance) in pictures that you will use for marketing purposes and then you charge them for wanting copies! I think that's really bad karma, to be fair. If I was the client then I'd withdraw my authority for you to use me and my guests in your marketing. Or, I'd charge you say £200 for the rights to use my image in your marketing. That way I could afford to pay you your £40 for copies!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post
    Personally, I'm not a photographer so I can't justify selling any photos I might take at gigs.
    !
    My view exactly. On occasion, I've sent copies of snaps I took to clients, but couldn't countenance charging for this. It's a bonus, not a service.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

How much more are you planning to add to your services Lee?

If you can figure out a way of attaching a broom, maybe you could offer a venue clean up service while you're taking your kit out to your vehicle.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Personally it's not something I'd ever do. I'd happily give them any digital copies they requested free of charge. Goodwill and all that. I'd rather the client remembered me for being helpful and accommodating to their request.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Personally it's not something I'd ever do. I'd happily give them any digital copies they requested free of charge. Goodwill and all that.
    We've done that on a number of occasions.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I take pics at all my gigs (unless client specifies otherwise) as others have said if they want a copy I'll just burn them on a disc / usb and send it to them.

I wouldn't charge them anything. Fully agree with Shaun's point that I want them to remember me for the night and going that extra mile. Absorbing the cost of a CDR or USB stick is no drama.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post

If you can figure out a way of attaching a broom, maybe you could offer a venue clean up service while you're taking your kit out to your vehicle.

Are you a photographer, singer or DJ?

I do take the odd photo or videos but not to the extent where it gets in the way of Djing. If you are now charging to be a photographer your head will be in two placed when it should really be in one. Also knowing lots of photographers and my way around a camera its not something you can do as a casual extra - its a serious profession and also a responsibility. I am trying to get good at obtaining proper copies from the photographer on the day and credit them or pay for the photos rather than using my camera at all.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DazzyD View Post

In fact, I think it's a bit harsh, really. They've given you their consent to use their images (as in physical appearance) in pictures that you will use for marketing purposes and then you charge them for wanting copies! I think that's really bad karma, to be fair. If I was the client then I'd withdraw my authority for you to use me and my guests in your marketing. Or, I'd charge you say £200 for the rights to use my image in your marketing. That way I could afford to pay you your £40 for copies!
    That is a fair point.

I was thinking of making a business so would need to sell it as a service from the start. So it wouldn't be my marketing shots. Just shots that they have pre-booked me to take as a photographer.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    My view exactly. On occasion, I've sent copies of snaps I took to clients, but couldn't countenance charging for this. It's a bonus, not a service.
    I am going down the fully professional angle with this.
    Just spent £4,000 on equipment so can get the best shots for re-sale.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post

Just the high-value services. They can pay a night-worker £3 an hour to do that so not really my thing.

But I am looking at other angles.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Personally it's not something I'd ever do. I'd happily give them any digital copies they requested free of charge. Goodwill and all that. I'd rather the client remembered me for being helpful and accommodating to their request.
    Fair point. That is what I have been doing so far... and it works.

But I think I could offer something else.

Maybe there is a market for those that can't afford a photographer but want some HQ photos... even if it just of the First Dance.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post

Are you a photographer, singer or DJ?

I do take the odd photo or videos but not to the extent where it gets in the way of Djing. If you are now charging to be a photographer your head will be in two placed when it should really be in one. Also knowing lots of photographers and my way around a camera its not something you can do as a casual extra - its a serious profession and also a responsibility. I am trying to get good at obtaining proper copies from the photographer on the day and credit them or pay for the photos rather than using my camera at all.
    I suppose I am planning my retirement.

How is going to want a 55 year old DJ? I am 43 now... and it ain't gonna get easier lifting those 46Kg subs.

Photography is a hobby... but it I ought to turn it into a profession.

I take your point. My main focus on the night is DJing.

Thank you for your comments I'll have to reconsider my approach.

All the best
    Last edited by DazzyD; 12-05-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

Fair enough. I misunderstood your OP. I thought you were planning on charging for copies of shots that you'd taken for your own use.

But are you going to be a DJ or a photographer? I really don't believe one person can do both roles at the same time. You can't be ready to capture that once-in-a-lifetime special moment that will never be seen again if your cueing up the next track. I think the best photographers, and videographers, have a special intuition to be in the right place at the right time. I don't think it's luck. I think it's a combination of the best training and natural instinct. If you haven't got both of those I'd be very cautious in going down that route. My philosophy is stick to what you're good at. From my point of view, that would be DJing every time.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!