Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Still Using CD's Only?

Default How Many Still Using CD's Only?

Just curious how many mobile DJ are still using CD's only and resisting the computer/laptop route?

Do not forget to allow a category for the dedicated band of Luddites, who refuse to relinquish their Hard Drive Controllers. ( Although it may be possible to argue that they are in fact computers, just with a very limited aim in life. )

CDs as main playout? Nowadays, I struggle to cope with having just one thrust into my hands at a gig.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Probably tons more that you could ever imagine

The best thing I did was go digital.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

I still use cd's and will never change as I don't see the point in using the time it would take me. I am retiring in less than 2 years though I will probably still do occasional gigs. I don't have a problem with cd's anyway.

I mainly do lighting nowadays and probably only DJ something lke 15 gigs a year so I'm excused for being a luddite...

I'm now a mixture of CD and digital and have so far only done one digital-only gig but have been using a combination for the last 8 gigs or so. My intention is to go digital only but I've got so many CDs and so little time that's it's going to take me forever to get everything ripped, but my main reason for sticking with CDs is the visual thing of seeing the spines of the cases and thinking 'ooh, there's something good on that album' but not having to know which track you're after, or being able to rapidly scan the back of a few Now CDs of a certain era to choose suitable tunes.

Am I the only one who chooses music slightly randomly like that? Do you guys who've been digitalled up for years find you only play a certain selection of music?

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    Do you guys who've been digitalled up for years find you only play a certain selection of music?
    I'm digital only

I only came back into the game in Feb this year, so it sort of made sense to go with lugging a laptop and a backup rather than crates of media around.

I do find though that there's a certain selection of between 150-200 tracks which get played regularly unless it's asked for or I have a sudden flash of inspiration. What makes the digital format so easy is that you can find a track quickly, and if you get asked for something obscure, download it and away you go.

I've gotta admit, it took a little getting used to (I used to be purely vinyl), but now I'm up to speed, I think I actually prefer it

cannot understand why anyone would want to use solely CD's. In all honesty, with the digital quality nowadays from downloads, and the convenience of pc software, why would you go to all that bother lugging discs around, and having to sort through them for every track you play.

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    I mainly do lighting nowadays and probably only DJ something lke 15 gigs a year so I'm excused for being a luddite...

I'm now a mixture of CD and digital and have so far only done one digital-only gig but have been using a combination for the last 8 gigs or so. My intention is to go digital only but I've got so many CDs and so little time that's it's going to take me forever to get everything ripped, but my main reason for sticking with CDs is the visual thing of seeing the spines of the cases and thinking 'ooh, there's something good on that album' but not having to know which track you're after, or being able to rapidly scan the back of a few Now CDs of a certain era to choose suitable tunes.

Am I the only one who chooses music slightly randomly like that? Do you guys who've been digitalled up for years find you only play a certain selection of music?
    I get the visual recognition thing - I did the same when I used CD's. But I find I actually play a far wider range of tunes now I'm digital.

The biggest difference in regards to tune selection is it takes me a second to load a track and listen to it, I could easily audition 10+ tunes before deciding which one to use (try doing that with CD's with 90 seconds left on deck A - and then deciding the track on the 2nd CD is the right one with 10 seconds to go). Often I'll pick out something I never would've thought of and see how it sounds against the playing track, just because I can. I listen to far more music at a gig than I actually play.

But regardless of what format is used it's down to the DJ themselves how much of a rut they get stuck in.

My reply is almost identical to Chris J. Retiring in a couple of years and cant be bothered at this stage to switch.
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Hi Theo. Both being Norwich boys originally too. I often think it would be easier to find tracks but then it would take a lot of my time to convert so not worth it.