Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: How Many Still Using CD's Only?

  1. #11
    Creature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    sunny lincolnshire
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,464

    Default

    still using some cds - depending on booking types only about 10-40% these days.

    Altho upon asking at dj shop about poss of buying new set of decks, they just looked at me funnily.

    My trusty old Cortex does the rest of the work.

    I have several cortex's sat around for when my go faulty as i know there are no spares

    I have recently purchased VJ8 more for the patch to control my stage lighting, not sure at this stasge wether I will use it at all, only time will tell. plus planning on retiring fully ( now semi retired) at 55 in 3 years time.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Norwich
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I will never part with my Denons DND4500.

    Agreed with what has been said here. Flicking through a cd case gives inspiration such as recalling a particular track on an album.

  3. #13
    RikkiDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Swansea
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I am cd only!
    I started my business in 2001 and have collected cd's since they became readily available in the shops.
    I would like to go digital but I cannot make the time to rip them all onto a hard drive and tag them all.
    I'm 35 now, maybe I'll make it one of my goals for before I hit 40

  4. #14
    Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RikkiDee View Post
    I am cd only!
    I started my business in 2001 and have collected cd's since they became readily available in the shops.
    I would like to go digital but I cannot make the time to rip them all onto a hard drive and tag them all.
    I'm 35 now, maybe I'll make it one of my goals for before I hit 40
    Unfortunately it's not just the time involvement though....it's the ProDub license cost for ripping them from CD to digital in the first place.
    I ripped my CD collection (mainly so I didn't have to take the originals on the road with me)...it costs a fortune for something you already own

  5. #15
    Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Unfortunately it's not just the time involvement though....it's the ProDub license cost for ripping them from CD to digital in the first place.
    I ripped my CD collection (mainly so I didn't have to take the originals on the road with me)...it costs a fortune for something you already own
    It needn't be an ongoing cost though. Once your initial collection is converted you could always download your subsequent digital music purchases direct to your playout hard drive, which negates the need for any further Produb licence purchases.

  6. #16
    Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    It needn't be an ongoing cost though. Once your initial collection is converted you could always download your subsequent digital music purchases direct to your playout hard drive, which negates the need for any further Produb licence purchases.


    That's exactly how I roll. Paid for the license for the initial tracks, the rest are purchased on a purely digital basis and downloaded directly to my HDD

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    london
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2

    Default How Many Still Using CD's Only?

    I' am using cd's as well as pendrive also.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    DENFORD NORTHANTS
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East Anglian Discos View Post
    Just curious how many mobile DJ are still using CD's only and resisting the computer/laptop route?
    Actually still using Mini Discs for all my instructed Dancing and also for background Country stuff.

    As I believe Mini Disc is THE MOST RELIABLE mechanical non digital playout I often have the first track for Weddings on Mini Disc, not that I do many now.

    Rest of the night got to be digital with Cortex, I used CDs for a while but worried about jumping tracks--never as bomb proof as claimed.

  9. #19
    yourdj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The New Forest
    Age
    39
    Posts
    7,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY K View Post
    Actually still using Mini Discs for all my instructed Dancing and also for background Country stuff.

    As I believe Mini Disc is THE MOST RELIABLE mechanical non digital playout I often have the first track for Weddings on Mini Disc, not that I do many now.

    Rest of the night got to be digital with Cortex, I used CDs for a while but worried about jumping tracks--never as bomb proof as claimed.
    I lost work to a guy who until recently still taped his sets before he left for the night. I believe he has just moved to CD's!! That made me feel good as its the only event at my venue in 7 years (included in the package). I thought the meet went great, clearly not. I went down there to see what he was like and it was not actually bad, lots of talking, but people were dancing so can't complain.

    With regards to finding obscure tracks in CD crates (I used to be CD) I work on Bpm mainly and mix music so find going digital has opened up a massive world of playing different tracks as i have a folder 379 tracks (at present) that I deem as 'popular party tunes' so can often find some quite interesting things in there, or will just select the music tab and open up every track i have. I also have at least a hundred other playlists ranging from African to Welsh LOL for more specified target which also have more obscure tracks. mostly use main folders, like "Blokes", "girls", "Chart" etc. but the party folder is predominant.
    Last edited by yourdj; 01-03-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    http://www.yourdj.co.uk/ | http://www.phatdiscos.co.uk/

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fareham , Hampshire
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I've been laptops for years - PCDJ Red I seem to remember was the first software I used - with a laptop on either side of the mixer and a CD player on standby.

    Anyway rambling aside, I do think there is another move afoot for content to move from laptop to the controller/player as with the new pioneer stuff as an example.

    I for one love a laptop for ease searching and being able to store a big catalog of music.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •