Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yamaha DXR 15's?

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Do anyone have experience of these? (Before I go and compare them to the DXR15's)

I've pretty much become the 'go-to man' in my locale for these kind of speakers (I used to manage a DJ retailers) as I'm always checking out new PA.

You've pretty much chosen the best value for money cab in your price range already. The Yamaha DXR15 offers power, build quality, sound quality and economic sense. Of course there are better sounding 15" active cabs....the new ones from RCF are deadly (but around £1400 each), the latest EV ETX15 range (in wooden boxes....yippee!) have fabulous sound quality but work out at £1100 per cab.....
    On the cheaper side, if you're not bothered about massive power and long throw, the JBL EON XT 15" cabs have hit an all time low price. Their biggest advantage is that they weigh no more than a bag of flour....and can probably be bought for around £750 a pair. Sound quality is good, bass frequencies are nice and low but they struggle to pack a punch in bigger venues, despite the rating on the tin.
    If you're avoiding heavy weights, steer clear of the Turbosound Milan 15 cabs. Lovely noise as always from Turbosound, you'll get a pair for under a grand.....but they weigh 28kg each. Aesthetically probably the nicest looking though (I use them at the moment)

Hope this helps
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

Cheers Ian,

I had not thought about the Turbosound, but they could be an option. That's probably another one I need to listen to.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Audio works seem to be the best price for a new pair at the moment.
    Be careful if it is Audioworksuk your are looking at. I've ordered there before and they said an item was in stock and took my card details etc. Half an hour later they were on the phone telling me the item wasn't actually in stock. A common ploy from internet retailers. Also, unless they have changed, you pay 0844 rates for the pleasure of talking to them when things like this go wrong. I reckon Electro would get some in for you and don't forget, if they develop a fault, they will usually try and help you out whilst your item is being repaired. Electro are always good for a little negotiation too!

Yup, dealt with electro before.

Good bunch of guys.

I will certainly be contacting them towards the end of September.

Default Passive cabs?

Update......

Been speaking to the wife about getting a new pair of speakers (DXR15's), something lighter which would help my bad back etc.

Told her what I'm looking at, how good the reviews are, warranty etc, all going well at this point....

Then I mention the price for a pair, her faces drops, I know what is coming next.... "How much?" , "Need a new sofa", "Your not spending that much" etc etc etc

Grrrrrr.

So it may be that I need to look at other options. Since weight is my main concern here, does anyone have any advise on passive cabs which would be lighter and better than my existing Peavey hisys 2XT's (Not the square ones, but the ones which are the same shape as the 2RX's) The XT's are bloody heavy.

So, If I can keep my existing amp (Yamaha P6000S), and just purchase a lighter pair of passive cabs, I might be back in the good books.

So here are my requirements :-

Lighter than my 2XT's
    15" Driver
    Same dimensions or smaller (Need to fit in my car)
    Full range
    Plenty of bass for use without subs.
    Good SPL
    Works well with my P6000S
    Good sound quality
    Willing to look at 2nd hand.

Many thanks
    Edward.

Well I can now vouch for the power and quality of the DX15's having got a pair this morning (ouch...'ow much?) and taking them for a test drive this evening.

In a word....WOW!

Let's just say I won't be packing the subs into the back of the truck for a little while to come.

They're heavy buggers, especially when you're trying to get them OFF of the tripods. But this is more than made up by the sheer quality and power which comes out of them....as someone who's used to using RCF tops (occasionally QTX if I don't want to take an amp), these things are amazing. I couldn't believe the power coming out of them even with the taps only just cracked open on the mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Well I can now vouch for the power and quality of the DX15's having got a pair this morning (ouch...'ow much?) and taking them for a test drive this evening.

In a word....WOW!

Let's just say I won't be packing the subs into the back of the truck for a little while to come.

They're heavy buggers, especially when you're trying to get them OFF of the tripods. But this is more than made up by the sheer quality and power which comes out of them....as someone who's used to using RCF tops (occasionally QTX if I don't want to take an amp), these things are amazing. I couldn't believe the power coming out of them even with the taps only just cracked open on the mixer.
    Yup, loving mine, really good bit a kit.

I don't own any subs, and after using these, currently I don't need any. (usually I cater for 200 people max ish)

Regarding the weight, they are lighter that my peavey hisys 2xt's (which are now my backup kit). Plus I've purchased a couple of Stagg hydraulic stands. It's a doddle to mount the DXR's with these. Only needs a gentle upwards pressure to make them rise

Without a doubt, these are my best investment so far. Even more so, with paying just over £800 for the pair delivered brand new.