Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DXR 15's?

Default Yamaha DXR 15's?

Hi All,

Due to my knackered back, and the weight of my Hisys 2XT's, I'm considering moving over to active speakers, namely the DXR15's, which are slight smaller, and a fair bit lighter than the peaveys.

I've just listened to these in a store, they have hi-fi quality top end and middle. But unfortunately, due to the layout of the demo room, being filled with loads of speakers, you cannot really get an understanding of the low end.

Does anyone have any real world experience with these speakers? My 2XT's have been using for events with 250 people, and performed well. Will the DXR's give me the capability for this size crowd too?

How do they compare to the 2XT's for volume / bass? (I know the sound quality is better on the DXR's)

Many thanks
    Edward.

Hi there,

I've moved this over to the Equipment Discussion Forum section for you. When posting new threads please take a moment to ensure they are placed in the most relevant section of the forum. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post
    Does anyone have any real world experience with these speakers? .
    Dave does.

I've heard them at Coalville, and they went straight to the top of my wishlist ( except I'd want the plastic 12s and the wooden 15s, along with a pair of subs. ) From the published figures, they should blow the Peaveys out of the water. ( But since I haven't heard a side by side sound off, this is in many ways conjecture )

Top end kit. Highly recommended. If your wallet's feeling the pressure, there are a lot of lower cost offerings to choose from, many of which are absolutely fine.

Shortly, there may easily be a review of what appear to be very nice ( wooden ) active cabs from an unexpected source.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info.

What other options are there, which are going to give to power and quality, (and weight / size) comparable to the DXR's?

Unfortunately, I don't have room for separate tops / subs, so I can only do full range, i.e. DXR15 without subs?

I've got around the £1k mark, but if there is something good for less money, then I'll look at them as an option.

Again, they must be around the same size / weight as the DXR's, these are much lighter, and slightly smaller than the Hisys 2XT's

Thanks
    Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcontact68 View Post

What other options are there, which are going to give to power and quality, (and weight / size) comparable to the DXR's?
    After a quick look, quite a few. However, it seems that there are basically two divisions, premier league and first division, from most manufacturers. The premier league cost circa £500-£750, and the first division £250-£400. On paper, drop the price, drop the quality.

Let's hope one or two of the folk familiar with this class of cab chip in with their suggestions.

The DXR12's would fit your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    The DXR12's would fit your budget.
    But not his purpose. He is sensibly working on the principle that if he's going to permanently run without subs, he needs a 15" driver, regardless of the badge on the front, the cabinet material, or the digital processing applied.

As a very wise man once said " Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Captain. "

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    But not his purpose. He is sensibly working on the principle that if he's going to permanently run without subs, he needs a 15" driver, regardless of the badge on the front, the cabinet material, or the digital processing applied.

As a very wise man once said " Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Captain. "

That is correct. I'm not planning on using subs, hence looking at 15" units.

Must be smaller and lighter than the Hisys 2XT's, and match or be better in sound quality. So far, I've only had chance to listen to the DXR 15's (Which I can just about afford) But I'm interesting in knowing what else is available which would not disappoint me and my audiences.

Cheers.

Default Active speaker options.

Right....

I'm looking at going active within the next month or two. (Still using a pair of Peavey Hisys 2XT's (One with a new 500w cone, after one died, with a Yamaha P5000S amplifier)

My No1 contender is still the DXR15.

I'm interested in know what else currently gives me a suitable solution. (15" full range cab, no sub)

The DXR15's is the max I can pay, but also considering cheaper options.

I've been considering options such as :-

Alto TS115A (£500 approx. for a pair) (Heard recently at a wedding, they were the 12's with a single sub. Sounded okay for a disco, but not as good as the DXR's in terms of sound quality)
    EV ZLX15P (£800 approx. for a pair) - not heard
    JBL EON 515 (£1000 approx. for a pair) - not heard
    Not forgetting the DXR 15 (£1100 approx. for a pair)

I'm interested to know if any of these (I already know the DXR will) would suit my needs.
    From a client point of view, is the additional expense of the DXR's over the others worth paying (From a DJ point of view, I love good sound quality)

Are there any other options which I should consider? (Not forgetting that I don't plan on subs at the moment due to vehicle restrictions, so need something which will provide sufficient bottom end. Also, the size needs to be no bigger than my current 2XT's, and must be lighter.)

I will consider buying second hand if there are any good used options within my budget of £1k approx.

Many thanks
    Edward.

I heard a 12" pair of the EV's at a wedding the other day and they sound absolutely astounding. Singer in question said that they were about £600. I was even more astounded when I found out that was for the pair, not each - they easily sound like they should cost twice as much as they do.

My one comment is that they are quite chunky, I had to lift them off the stands for her as she couldn't lift the weight of them off the height of the stands and they're pretty heavy compared to my RCF's. They were still lighter than the SRM450 V1's I was using on that night.

Usual advice, listen before you buy as decisions as sound "quality" is a completely subjective measure

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography