Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Transferring data from old to new pc

Default Transferring data from old to new pc

Following on from this thread http://www.forum.mobilediscodirector...al-for-desktop

I have now purchased a new pc didn't go for that one in the end went for an Acer Veriton X6630G http://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/cat.../item/p179622p

Spec is decent it comes with 2yrs on site warranty repairs.

So to get all the stuff off of the old one onto the new one is there an easy way? Is it a case of join them together , hit send to and wait about 6 days?

I've read that you can take the HD out of the old one and put it in the new one and "slave" it. Not something I'd be confident as a DIY option so realistically what should I be looking to pay to have this done properly?

Thanks in advance
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs

If it's Windows, you should look into the Files and Settings transfer wizard. Not sure where it is in Windows 7/8, but it's found under Accessories/System Tools in XP. You'll still need to know where all your files are though, usual places to check are My Documents or the Desktop (multiple instances of, if there are multiple profiles on the computer).

Anyway, you can do the transfer by saving the files to an external drive, such as USB, or using a direct connection. I'd go with the USB drive though, every time!

You could get a decent external hard drive enclosure (for example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-IB-36.../dp/B003PHRQ16) and stick your old hard drive in that (as long as it's compatible, i.e. SATA).

Your transfer will be relatively fast (assuming your new PC has USB3), and afterwards you'll have a spare external hard drive in an enclosure that you can then format and use for backup or anything else you like...

dropbox?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

In the olden days, Windows transfer was done with a crossover cable. But I think the Transfer Wizard backs up to an external drive now or maybe even a flash key.

Boot up the Transfer Wizard and follow it's instructions!

You could also opt for a hard-drive clone program if you want to transfer the whole lot and not just settings.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

So I've done the deed and swapped pcs.

Vital stuff ie work related stuff was backed up on 2 usb sticks before transferring it over. The document side of things was fine it all seems to have come over and are working as they should. Have a slight problem with photos as it's (W7) is saying it can't open some of them and has a flower head as the icon. I've done a google of it and apparently it's a common fault with W7 but was advised to make sure the updates were up to date. This is now the case but the problem still persists.

I've taken Marcs advice and ordered an enclosure from amazon so that may well do the trick when it arrives.
    Professional DJ & Event services inc Led & Starlight dancefloors, Venue uplighting

Derbyshire Wedding DJ - Wedding Uplighting, Dancefloors and Professional Wedding DJs