Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amp cleaning

Default Amp cleaning

Hi Guys,

Do you all clean your amps yourselves? Or do you let a professional do it? Anything to look out for if you do?

Time to give mine a clean I think.

Soap and water work a treat

Joking....don't try it!!!!

I tend to take the cover off mine, give it a good air-dusting and then a hoover around the air vents (not too dissimilar to cleaning a PC). Seems to work for me

Unless there is a filter on the fan then dust collects inside the amplifier.
    If you are careful a hoover will remove most of it.
    Just be careful not to bash any components or you might do some damage.

I had a PC turns itself off occasionally.
    Turned out to be the power supply fan casing was completely choked with dust and the power supply was overheating and the pc would shut down.

Cheers,

Will probably give that a go then over the next couple of days. My da500 amp has a fan on the top cover so not sure how that's connected but will give it a go.

Agreed with above, I'd just blow out the dust and vacuum. You can buy compressed air canisters to force a bit more dust out as well, which are safe to use on computers and general electronic equipment.

Be careful when blowing air through not to spin the fans (wedging a screwdriver into the fan is an easy way) as you could potentially damage the electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by stormproductions View Post
    Be careful when blowing air through not to spin the fans (wedging a screwdriver into the fan is an easy way) as you could potentially damage the electronics.
    Cheers, already do that now but wanting to have a look inside and do the cleaning for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerFunk View Post
    Agreed with above, I'd just blow out the dust and vacuum. You can buy compressed air canisters to force a bit more dust out as well, which are safe to use on computers and general electronic equipment.
    Did have a look for compressed air today but to no luck. Search continues tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by velocityroadshow View Post
    Cheers, already do that now but wanting to have a look inside and do the cleaning for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Did have a look for compressed air today but to no luck. Search continues tomorrow.
    I get mine from our local Ryman store. It's not cheap at about £7 a can but I find that it's very effective.

I think it's this brand (not 100% sure as I've had beer and wine tonight!! - but I'm about 95% sure!!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5Star-Duster...compressed+air

And with 4 cans for less than I'd pay for 2 this seems to be a bargain (and one which I'm glad I've discovered myself!).
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

If you're using a vacuum to suck the dust out, borrow a pair of the wife's tights (or use your own if that way inclined!!) and cover the end of the vacuum nozzle. That way, if you areunfortunatel t o suck up any small component (usually a loose switch head or that small screw that is vital for holding it all together) it will catch in the fabric and not disappear into the vile dusty void inside the vacuum.

Thanks for your help guys. Some great ideas.