Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Milton Farm St Andrews

  1. #1
    Admin Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,692

    Default Milton Farm St Andrews

    Any of the Scottish DJs played at Milton Farm St Andrews? I've never heard of the place.

  2. #2
    Senior Member leelive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midlothian
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Milton Farm

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Any of the Scottish DJs played at Milton Farm St Andrews? I've never heard of the place.
    I did a quote for that gig two days ago. From the postcode supplied to me I took the place to be a Barn at at place called "Milton Farmers" not Milton Farm.

    All the best
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

  3. #3
    Admin Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    I did a quote for that gig two days ago. From the postcode supplied to me I took the place to be a Barn at at place called "Milton Farmers" not Milton Farm.

    All the best
    Thanks Lee. I've never heard of Milton Farmers either. It was an NaD enquiry, the client called today to book. So looking for a heads up on the place as it doesn't look like there will be time for a site visit (the gig is this Friday).

  4. #4
    Senior Member leelive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midlothian
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Thanks Lee. I've never heard of Milton Farmers either. It was an NaD enquiry, the client called today to book. So looking for a heads up on the place as it doesn't look like there will be time for a site visit (the gig is this Friday).
    I hope it is the right place. I found it from the post code provided by NaD.
    All the best
    Lee Live: Wedding DJ
    http://www.djLeeLive.com/

  5. #5
    Senior Member soundmaster mobile disco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    fife
    Posts
    1,559

    Default

    glad to hear you got the booking shaun.I also got the same enquiry.was it not for some silly hours.i presume it was an after party for a school\uni bash

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    norwich
    Posts
    742

    Default

    It seems that Milton Farm has 61 properties on it. Best get as much info from your customer.
    I found out at http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/mil...6-0ab/12140347

  7. #7
    Admin Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fife
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster mobile disco View Post
    glad to hear you got the booking shaun.I also got the same enquiry.was it not for some silly hours.i presume it was an after party for a school\uni bash
    It turned out to be quite a saga!

    It was an after party in a barn. Not a converted barn...an actual barn that looked unused since the 1960's

    I turned up on the night, called the farmer on the number I had been provided and he confirmed I was in the right place. So, I set up, the farmer arrived and I asked where the toilets were, so I could get washed and changed (I was covered in dust from the barn). The farmer looks at me and says "are there no porta-loos?" He disappears, comes back 10 minutes later having called the client and tells me "Party is off! they have no toilets arranged". I then call the client and she is in tears because the farmer has cancelled. She had assumed when booking that there would be facilities provided. She tells me she is frantically calling around portaloo companies trying to sort something (this was 11pm at night though).

    I waited, waited, the start time came and went. I called again and her phone was switched off. I tried again 15 minutes later before starting to pack up and head home. I'd been paid a £150 deposit but her no-show meant the final balance wasn't paid on the night.

    I eventually got paid in full (albeit a month later). This whole situation prompted me to only accept full payment in advance now. Less hassle.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jim - Scotland's Party DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    It turned out to be quite a saga!

    It was an after party in a barn. Not a converted barn...an actual barn that looked unused since the 1960's

    I turned up on the night, called the farmer on the number I had been provided and he confirmed I was in the right place. So, I set up, the farmer arrived and I asked where the toilets were, so I could get washed and changed (I was covered in dust from the barn). The farmer looks at me and says "are there no porta-loos?" He disappears, comes back 10 minutes later having called the client and tells me "Party is off! they have no toilets arranged". I then call the client and she is in tears because the farmer has cancelled. She had assumed when booking that there would be facilities provided. She tells me she is frantically calling around portaloo companies trying to sort something (this was 11pm at night though).

    I waited, waited, the start time came and went. I called again and her phone was switched off. I tried again 15 minutes later before starting to pack up and head home. I'd been paid a £150 deposit but her no-show meant the final balance wasn't paid on the night.

    I eventually got paid in full (albeit a month later). This whole situation prompted me to only accept full payment in advance now. Less hassle.



    We had a discussion about this on a FB group the other day and it got a bit heated but if you collect on the night you're opening yourself up to everything from the client refusing payment or trying to withhold part of the fee to the tax man bending you over as there's no paper trail.

    Shame it wasn't an earlier gig, must have been a pain getting a "night off" when it was the end of the night already.

  9. #9
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    63
    Posts
    25,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    I eventually got paid in full (albeit a month later). This whole situation prompted me to only accept full payment in advance now. Less hassle.
    Oh Shaun. Although I often tease you mercilessly about your practices, it's surprising how often our practices are similar. I and most of my customers also preferred cash on the night. A lot of it stems back to the old days, when you often had to negotiate a fee, cos most of the kit had thrown a wobbler!

    Recent occurrences have caused me to review my policy also, and although I really don't want to, I'm considering payment in advance for new customers. Thread on this likely soon, but I've got a wedding soon, and on Sunday, I'm going on hols, whoopeee.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •