Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Truss warmers for Global Truss F24

Default Truss warmers for Global Truss F24

I put in an order to our German friends at the end of last week for some Truss to put up plinths for moving heads and it all turned up over the last few days (in three separate deliveries). I debated what to get for ages and because my heads are quite small (LED washes and smaller LED spots) I ended up opting for F24 Global Truss (the smaller 220mm square truss) as I really didn't need the size and load bearing capability of the standard F34 stuff (and F24 is cheaper, lighter and more compact for storage and transport). I also picked up matching Stairville Tri Par Profiles to light the truss (having checked that they will fit between the bars).

Now it's all here I've tried putting it together and the Tri Par's are a perfect fit inside the truss (and will in fact fit nicely inside the frames at each end of the truss). The kicker is that they won't fit between the diagonal reinforcements to get them INSIDE the truss.

I've got two options. I can either look for smaller lights that will fit through the truss (probably at the expense of brightness) or I can probably cut one of the diagonal cross members (so much for warranties).

Has anyone else had any experience of this?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Can you not put the light on the base and lay the vertical parts on?

Edit: As in put the light on the base then put the truss on.
    Last edited by Benny Smyth; 16-07-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: What I originally put made no sense.

I can see some photos are needed

The F24 truss is a bit different to the F34, instead of having a 20mm tube around the base they have this 5mm thick aluminium plate with a cut out:

Name:  IMG-20140717-00354.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  50.0 KB

The uplighters are a brilliant fit into this, so if I put them the other side of the plate they would sit in really nicely and the power/DMX connections would be accessible under the plate.

Name:  IMG-20140717-00355.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  51.9 KB

Unfortunately though they don't fit through the side bars...

Name:  IMG-20140717-00356.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  63.2 KB

Stuck now - I think I might have to buy smaller uplighters which will fit in through the base

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath

If it was me, I would enlarge the cut out in the end plate, the only downside I can see is it would make them less desirable on the S/H market should you wish to sell them at some point in the future. This would be off set by the cash you will save by not having to splash out on two new uplighters.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    If it was me, I would enlarge the cut out in the end plate, the only downside I can see is it would make them less desirable on the S/H market should you wish to sell them at some point in the future. This would be off set by the cash you will save by not having to splash out on two new uplighters.
    That thought cropped up in my mind too. You don't want to cut the diagonal parts because they're not there for aesthetics, and whilst you are only putting small movers on there, it'd still make me nervous.

Only other idea I can think of is the Chauvet Tri Wedge. Pretty small things that should fit. I even think you may struggle getting the ADJ Tri Par or the QA 38 in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    That thought cropped up in my mind too. You don't want to cut the diagonal parts because they're not there for aesthetics, and whilst you are only putting small movers on there, it'd still make me nervous.
    I'm more nervous to cut the end plate - it's pretty hefty and I'd have to remove a considerable chunk of it which is likely to generate a lot of heat. I'm not even sure if I have the tools to cut it. At least if I removed a diagonal it'd only be one section.... I have looked for extension pieces to push the truss up from the baseplate, but you can only get those for the larger bar used in F34 type trussing

Only other idea I can think of is the Chauvet Tri Wedge. Pretty small things that should fit. I even think you may struggle getting the ADJ Tri Par or the QA 38 in there.
    Yup, in theory the Stairville lights are the same size as the ADJ 38's. The Chauvet wedge is the only light I've found that is likely to fit and give a good output, possibly other than the LEDJ Colour blasts. There are also a few other Colour blast clones kicking around for a few quid less. It's another £75 per podium though The alternative is the cheaper Par 36 LED fixtures, but these are likely to give 50% less output than the Stairville units I was hoping to use (e.g. probably not be visible in daylight).

Has anyone had any luck with warming truss from behind (i.e. putting the lights behind the truss point up into it at an angle rather than putting them inside the truss?)

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with warming truss from behind (i.e. putting the lights behind the truss point up into it at an angle rather than putting them inside the truss?)

Julian
    I think you're average punter may not notice, but you would. That'd be the biggest problem.

Is returning the trussing and swapping out for the other version not an option?

I think you're average punter may not notice, but you would. That'd be the biggest problem.

Is returning the trussing and swapping out for the other version not an option?
    Not really, I don't have the space to store or transport F34 truss and my heads would look lost on the top of it... I've ordered the tri wedges, I didn't fancy chopping the truss!

P.s. I'm still keeping the staireville par 38's, they're awesome!

I had one of those moments this morning where I felt like bashing my head against the wall.

While the par's might be too big to go through the trussing assembled, they didn't make the damn things in one piece did they??

Name:  IMG-20140721-00373.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  50.3 KB

Four screws, unit splits in half (power supply and connectors are in the bottom, all the smarts and a very large heatsink are in the top half), push it through the bars and re-fasten screws.

I didn't opt for the Chauvet Wedge's in the end, I went for 4 LED PAR 36's which will be coming up for sale very soon at cost price (once they arrive and I've got photos) as it looks like they're now surplus to requirements!!

Dumb

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I had one of those moments this morning where I felt like bashing my head against the wall.

While the par's might be too big to go through the trussing assembled, they didn't make the damn things in one piece did they??

Name:  IMG-20140721-00373.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  50.3 KB

Four screws, unit splits in half (power supply and connectors are in the bottom, all the smarts and a very large heatsink are in the top half), push it through the bars and re-fasten screws.

I didn't opt for the Chauvet Wedge's in the end, I went for 4 LED PAR 36's which will be coming up for sale very soon at cost price (once they arrive and I've got photos) as it looks like they're now surplus to requirements!!

Dumb

Julian
    Hello, I know it's an old thread but how are you finding the f24?

Im conflicted between it and the f34 and need to pull the trigger asap. Will be getting 1.5m length for Chauvet 350 moving heads.

Thanks