Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Backlighting DJ screens

Default Backlighting DJ screens

Morning all,

OK - I'm after some inspiration here.
    I normally back light my Equinox screen using a couple of Jelly domes just to give a little motion effect. I use flat PAR's to colour wash as well for things like weddings or when a more subdued effect is needed, but for general parties the motion looks better IMHO.

Unfortunately, I broke them over the weekend, and I'm looking for something different.
    I've seen videos of the ACME Festival back projecting on to the screen, and it looks like the sort of thing I want.....has anyone got any experience of these though?

My main question on any of the effects I've seen on the screens is how far back does the fixture need to be from the screen (I've obviously got a table behind it and ideally need something fairly short throw).

I've tried my moonflowers and my H20, but they all need to be waaaay too far away from the screen to be of any use.

Any suggestions more than welcome.

I've seen the Acme Mirrage doing this, and it impressed me.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

We used to be able to get this kind of effect in the old days. They were called disco screens. People now seem to be trying to replicate these the hard way!

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    We used to be able to get this kind of effect in the old days. They were called disco screens. People now seem to be trying to replicate these the hard way!
    I know Mark - I've got a pair of Showtec boxes sitting in storage which hardly ever come out any more (too bloody heavy compared to the new lightweight lycra jobbies). Plus the Bulgin connectors give my PAT test fella a funny turn when he sees them

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I've seen the Acme Mirrage doing this, and it impressed me.
    Peter - any idea how far from the screen the Mirage was positioned? Are we talking several feet or fairly close up?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I know Mark - I've got a pair of Showtec boxes sitting in storage which hardly ever come out any more (too bloody heavy compared to the new lightweight lycra jobbies). Plus the Bulgin connectors give my PAT test fella a funny turn when he sees them

Peter - any idea how far from the screen the Mirage was positioned? Are we talking several feet or fairly close up?
    Ah yes, the beloved Bulgin connectors. Exposed pins everywhere.

Mirrage was reasonably close, have a search, sure we've done this one before.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Take one Acme Impossibled. Reverse the lens and hey presto Not the best shot of it but it does work well
    Attached Images Attached Images