Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Cheap online High Powered RGB Laser

Default Cheap online High Powered RGB Laser

Afternoon All,

I'm looking to purchase a new laser for my setup, and can't decide whether to spend more money on a slightly more reputable brand name, ADJ, Chauvet, KAM etc or go with a budget laser from ebay / amazon etc.

I've seen lasers by brands such as Reke, Beamz and wondered if anyone has one and whether £170-£200 is reasonable for an RGB scanning laser, some of the output is rated at 600mw which by any standards is pretty bright.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Hello James. I can think of a couple of folk on here with lots of knowledge of lasers, and I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

Meanwhile, it helps us all if you pop across to the newbies section, and introduce yourself. When we know a little bit more, we can offer better advice, and also it's nice to know who we're typing to. Thanks, Peter.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Shack View Post
    Afternoon All,

I'm looking to purchase a new laser for my setup, and can't decide whether to spend more money on a slightly more reputable brand name, ADJ, Chauvet, KAM etc or go with a budget laser from ebay / amazon etc.

I've seen lasers by brands such as Reke, Beamz and wondered if anyone has one and whether £170-£200 is reasonable for an RGB scanning laser, some of the output is rated at 600mw which by any standards is pretty bright.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

James

600mw will be fine so long as you can offer cheap on-line retina replacement for your audience. Seriously, a 600mw (class 4?) laser is a pretty dangerous thing to have if you are not fully conversant with their safe use. DJ's seem to be very blase about their use these days. There are so many lights that look attractive without all the disadvantages of powerful lasers. I don't understand why people risk them. Leave big lasers to the Dr Evil's of this world.

Class 3 or 4 need a safety software program or even a divergence lens to make them safe. Ok they can be directed at least 1m above head as if the beam crosses and eye it will burn the retina, even a millisecond. I have a 1.5w (1500mw) RBG laser and can crowd scan due to the fact I have a divergence lense that Pangolin in USA recommended through a dealer in UK.
    So many DJ's don't realise how dangerous class 3 or 4 lasers are.

That 600w will be made up 3 much lower power beams. There's a 750 watt I saw today.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215066839...84.m1423.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    600mw will be fine so long as you can offer cheap on-line retina replacement for your audience. Seriously, a 600mw (class 4?) laser is a pretty dangerous thing to have if you are not fully conversant with their safe use. DJ's seem to be very blase about their use these days. There are so many lights that look attractive without all the disadvantages of powerful lasers. I don't understand why people risk them. Leave big lasers to the Dr Evil's of this world.
    Hence the reason I asked the question on here first without diving in.

Quote Originally Posted by musicology View Post
    That 600w will be made up 3 much lower power beams. There's a 750 watt I saw today.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2215066839...84.m1423.l2649
    Correct, this isn't made up from one single laser, it is Red Green and Blue lasers which make the total

Assuming it was safe, does anyone own or has seen one of these specifically, I've heard the manufacturer 'Reke' mentioned in a few threads

I use a fair few lasers - would recomend you buy reputable manufacturers equipment.

BUT more importantly as touched on by others - make sure you follow the guide lines in the manual for height and everything else. When using I always mention a few times thru the night about the lasers and that sometimes they can move downwards and ask them to come and tell me straight away, so i can resolve or if a band are on the stage turn the offending light of till it can be adjusted safely.

There is a laser course, i cant find the info at the moment, but I have been advised its useful
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    There is a laser course, i cant find the info at the moment, but I have been advised its useful
    Here...

http://www.lvrlimited.com/display.php

James's course is an absolute must for anyone interested in using lasers in their setup. You'll learn all about the safety aspects of laser shows and how to put on a safe show without blinding folk.