Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Subs / Bass Bins

Default Question about Subs / Bass Bins

Hi all,

Just wondered - For those of you that have Subs, do you take them to every function no matter what?
    I must admit that I have taken it easy and used the Mackies on their own more often than not because it's quicker to set up like that and most of my functions are 120 at the most.

I have a pair of RCF705's that I have used just twice since I bought them and I have just tested them ready for Sunday's wedding for 200 guests in a marquee and I think I have fallen for them. They're lovely!

I was speaking to another DJ the other week who said that he uses his all the time because it just gives a better clarity of sound and I have to agree.
    I'm never at the point of pushing my Mackies to the limit but I think the Subs would take some weight off their shoulders if I used them more.

What do you think? and What do you do?

I use subs 99% of the time, even for small weddings. I just prefer the sound when the subs are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondered - For those of you that have Subs, do you take them to every function no matter what?
    I must admit that I have taken it easy and used the Mackies on their own more often than not because it's quicker to set up like that and most of my functions are 120 at the most.

I have a pair of RCF705's that I have used just twice since I bought them and I have just tested them ready for Sunday's wedding for 200 guests in a marquee and I think I have fallen for them. They're lovely!

I was speaking to another DJ the other week who said that he uses his all the time because it just gives a better clarity of sound and I have to agree.
    I'm never at the point of pushing my Mackies to the limit but I think the Subs would take some weight off their shoulders if I used them more.

What do you think? and What do you do?

I think you can happily use a decent pair of full range tops.....until you add subs....then there's no going back, you'll always feel there's something lacking if you don't use them.

Thanks guys. I've got one side (Sub and Top) set up in the living room at the moment and it just sounds so much better.
    I guess I have to put it down to laziness because that's the only reason I haven't used them that much because my set up is relatively quick.
    I think that will change from now on.

If anyone else uses the 705's, could they possibly advise how they have the 3 buttons at the back and what the volume on the subs should be set to.

At the moment I have the buttons as the following:

Link - Button pressed in
    80hz / 120hz - Button pressed in
    0 / 180 - Button out

(Sorry I know it sounds stupid but I can't tell what the little diagrams mean)

It goes without saying that the sound will always be much better using subs.....but 90% of the gigs we do (weddings, birthdays, etc) the clients and their guests couldn't care less...it's purely a DJ thing. Hosting house music nights needs the extra oomph but the average weddings are always happy with full range cabs on poles.
    I've been a live sound engineer and a DJ for longer than I care to remember, and I'm very fussy about what comes out the other end, but I balance that against set-up time, room size and music type.....and most gigs are now conducted using only 2 x 15" active full range cabs. In fact for a small underground bar last week I used 2 x active 10" cabs! And not a single complaint!

the funny thing is......we all want lovely thumping bass and sweet highs, yet we spend the entire night behind the bloody things and we're probably the only one in the room who appreciates it!!!
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

I have had a RCF905 sub for approx two years, and in all that time I think I will have used it about 6 times! I run 2 x QSC K12s which I find have a fair bit of bass anyway. There was a time when I was doing a wedding in a large hall with approx 200 people. My bass bin was running at approx 25% and someone asked me if I could turn the bass back a bit as it was too boomy!

Anyone want to buy a bass bin in excellent condition

Quote Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
    I have had a RCF905 sub for approx two years, and in all that time I think I will have used it about 6 times! I run 2 x QSC K12s which I find have a fair bit of bass anyway. There was a time when I was doing a wedding in a large hall with approx 200 people. My bass bin was running at approx 25% and someone asked me if I could turn the bass back a bit as it was too boomy!

Anyone want to buy a bass bin in excellent condition
    I had that several times when I had my 905 - awesome bass bin, but just too much for the majority of my bookings (weddings, up to 120 guests). I have a Vertus now, even with that I get asked to turn the bass down at some venues.

Gary with your

Link - Button pressed in
    80hz / 120hz - Button pressed in
    0 / 180 - Button out

If your using a single bin the 0/180 won't do anything (it's to reverse the phase in case you get two bins cancelling each other out). If you're using a pair just try it and go with whatever sounds best.

Link - doesn't that switch between the 705's internal crossover and full signal? In your case whichever uses the internal crossover.

80/120hz - again use your ears, whichever sounds best to you is the right setting.

You can even try running your tops with a full signal with your subs - I tried that a few times and it sounded better than the crossover in certain situations.

I've two RCF 905's and the odd time Ive used both, my god it was immense but I generally just use one and sometimes none. My tops are RCF HD12s and I got a last minute gig a few weeks ago and had to travel an hour home and then had an hour to fill the car, shave, shower, get clothes ready etc. I arrived at the venue with plenty of time to spare and started to setup and to my horror I had only one top speaker with me! Well I managed fine without it as I had my bin but on it's own I might have struggled or at least felt less comfortable with the sound. Those HD12s are a powerful beast!

Balance again. Upstairs, small function, tops only. Downstairs, all level, big gig, add my ( relatively big and cumbersome ) tops for all the reasons stated above. Simples.

But what about the venues/functions that aren't so clearcut? Well for the borderline/ small space gigs, I've got an Alto 15" sub, which is light, and will run two tops. All bases covered. ( I hope )!

There are no hard and fast rules. Subs and tops is optimal, but if you've got three flights of stairs to climb, they're not making the ascent, believe me. Those of us with wooden 15" tops as an option can cheerfully dispense with subs, without losing much thud.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Have been known to use an odd sub occasionally
    www.mobiledjcumbria.co.uk

N.A.D.J Member

North East & Cumbria branch Founder member