Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How far do you travel for gigs?

Rarely more than 10 miles

How far? Fifty miles minimum is the norm lately, hundred miles on occasion ( but I'm now doing Travelodge overnight on those ), but six hours? Jim, I doff my cap to you, as I suspect it's financially viable. Well done that man. ( Says the man who's just taken twelve hours getting back from Dorset in awful traffic snarl ups )
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by leelive View Post
    Hi Jim
    I did a quote for that job too. A bit far for me... but added on a fair fee to cover costs. I doubt they book me.
    Furthest I have traveled is Harrogate and also Manchester. (From Edinburgh)

I once quoted for a job up in Fort William. It was for a small wedding for 35 guests. I really didn't want the job so quoted a ridiculous price... and they booked!!
    All the best
    The girl from LA or is it the one from earlier in the week just short of Wick?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    The girl from LA or is it the one from earlier in the week just short of Wick?
    LA? LA? Jim, I'm sorrry to have to break this to you, but you can't drive to Los Angeles in six hours.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    LA? LA? Jim, I'm sorrry to have to break this to you, but you can't drive to Los Angeles in six hours.
    e, there goes the petrol money

About 20 years ago when I still lived in London ( I am in Aberdeen now), I took a booking for a wedding in Bridlington, I was paid very well and was given accomodation in the hotel the wedding was staged. They had the money and wanted me so they got me. It was a great night too.

Not a fan of driving long distance, so within the hour for me.

Of course, there's more to factor in here than a first glance. What if something goes wrong? Does your breakdown cover include getting your equipment to the venue? And if it does, how are you getting home again? Chances are you're going to be paying some huge taxi bills. It's worth considering that when you quote the gig.

The other thing is that I like to know I'm close to 'base', just in case I forget anything, or another such emergency!

About 90 mins for me as long as the fee is worth it and the gig fits around the 9 to 5, which is reasonably flexible.

I have to say, that I find it strange that people don't travel more than 30 miles to a gig.

If you need to work, surely you travel where ever the money and the gig is...unless of course you are a hobbyist or part timer who can pick and choose.

I regularly go to central London which is normally a 2 hour trip and will travel where ever I need to.

I did a one off photo booth a couple of months ago in Halifax, which was a 17 hour day and really hard work, but financially worth it.

Generally it's all within 40 minutes drive of home. Not by design but just how it happens (As the trading name is Cheltenham Wedding DJ that might have something to do with it). That said I will quote for work further afield and as Darren says it's worth the extra distance if you're sensible with your travel costs and can lead to some good paying jobs.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk