Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please.

Default Help please.

The venue I normally work at has just sprung me a suprise, they misheard the client and instead of a 40th its a 14th I don't usually do kids parties so I am at a loss to what they might want. I don't know if they want games at this stage but want to be prepared. I am guessing they are too old for pass the parcel, musical bumps etc. Also what music would the average 14 year old girls party require? I am not going to duck out of the gig even though I want to as I honour my word. The gig is only 3 hours, 7:30 to 10:30. Any advice would be extreamly grateful.

Alan.

At the risk of tempting fate, I'd say that as long as the guests are mainly girls, these gigs are a doddle. You'll get requests for all the current chart and some tracks which they consider " cool ", but you'll more than likely fill the floor with Macarena, Cha Cha slide, Gangnam and similar.

Lots of lads and there'll be more requests for R&B type bilge, less dancing, and more running about. Hope this helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Yep Gangham, cha cha and Macarena are a given, but will only take upo 15 minutes lol. Are one direction still cool? What other bands are cool at the moment I am actually hoping its going to be a mixed aged family crowd, but the early finish leads me to believe it won't.

I concur with the aforementioned from my learned colleagues.

Gangnam, Cha Cha Slide, Macarena all work.
    Also (from someone who seems to do a lot of these at the moment).

Frozen - Do you wanna build a snowman / Let it go (there's a techno remix of that one now)
    Livin' on a Prayer
    Final Countdown
    Happy

One D is normally a given.....but they don't all like it
    The slower stuff like Sam Smith, Jason Derulo works well too.

Games - not normally....although I have been known to get the limbo dancing kit out in the past

Basically depends on if they're mainly girls (it'll be a good gig), mainly boys (they won't dance), or a mix (can be hard work)

Enjoy

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by little al View Post
    Yep Gangham, cha cha and Macarena are a given, but will only take upo 15 minutes lol. Are one direction still cool? What other bands are cool at the moment I am actually hoping its going to be a mixed aged family crowd, but the early finish leads me to believe it won't.
    Is contacting the client not an option?

As for games and such, forget about them. If you're not a children's entertainer, then don't attempt it. You're a professional DJ, so just do that.

You'll probably find 14 year olds won't want games. Or, when I used to do 13th birthdays they didn't.

However, games are a good way to break the ice, Musical Bumps is a bit old, so the following always used to go down well:

The Mummy Game,

Three teams of 4. Each get 3 toilet rolls, one person gets wrapped up. Get one of the parents to choose the winner and throw a load of glowsticks out. Even get a couple of the adults involved.

Theres' a suggestion but see what the client wants.

Something I seem to get asked for quiet a bit at these ones now is the Dance Off.

Basically they get themselves in a circle in the middle of the dance floor, then take turns to go to the centre and throw some moves for a few seconds before handing the floor over to the next person.

Don't do games....I have a 14 year old son and he would die if you started playing the mummy game or similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Events Ltd View Post
    Don't do games....I have a 14 year old son and he would die if you started playing the mummy game or similar...
    I did forget to mention with the dance off thing....you have to let THEM initiate it

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    At the risk of tempting fate, I'd say that as long as the guests are mainly girls, these gigs are a doddle. You'll get requests for all the current chart and some tracks which they consider " cool ", but you'll more than likely fill the floor with Macarena, Cha Cha slide, Gangnam and similar.

Lots of lads and there'll be more requests for R&B type bilge, less dancing, and more running about. Hope this helps.
    I've had a recent teen party where it was 90% girls and they wanted the bilge that you refer to. Stuff that made me feel very uncomfortable playing to as their parents were present.

Like any gig go prepared (make sure all recent chart stuff is downloaded and you're familiar with) and just work the mic. Action dances I personally avoid unless it's a request.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk