Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please.

'R&B Type Bilge'...........oh dear. The usual UKIP-supporter attitude to modern black music, from DJs who are more comfortable playing Black Lace and 70's glam rock.
    If it's the R&B tunes with obscenities and suggestive lyrics that you wish to avoid, then say so.....but don't paint all R&B with the same sweeping brush stroke.
    DJ Ian Scott
    www.djianscott.com

"The Earth has music for those who listen."

Quote Originally Posted by DJIanScott View Post
    'R&B Type Bilge'...........oh dear. The usual UKIP-supporter attitude to modern black music, from DJs who are more comfortable playing Black Lace and 70's glam rock.
    If it's the R&B tunes with obscenities and suggestive lyrics that you wish to avoid, then say so.....but don't paint all R&B with the same sweeping brush stroke.
    Hold your horses there. You're moaning that we are painting the current "R&B" genre with the same brush yet you just assume that we are some sort of Dave Doubledecks UKIP supporting type DJ?

Just because someone doesn't like a style of music doesn't give you grounds to throw all sorts of assumptions against them on a public forum.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

He wasn't doing anything or the sort and you shouldn't be referring to anything political either.

I'm voting UKIP and R&B is total pants! Neither have anything to do with race.
    Back on topic. Def no games. They'll want modern chart stuff broken up with action dances and try Greased Lightning, The Twist, YMCA. You'll be bombarded with requests all night anyway so just keep slapping them on and it'll all be over before you know it!
    Last edited by musicology; 11-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Most of it is bilge though isn't it‽

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

I think it's unfair to single out Mary J like this....

Hmmm. Undoubtedly I'm more comfortable playing Black Lace and 70's Glam Rock, but since todays teens don't want that, I find I have to play what they want. On many occasions I have found that playing their requests results in total apathy, and they're only asking for it to appear cool.

As to profanities and risque lyrics, well we've had those for many many years, but it appears to me nowadays that songs rely on foul language and misogynistic lyrics to the exclusion of any craft and substance. Before you get the impression that I'm a prude, I have no problems playing tracks containing swearing, as long as there's a good reason for it, and to the right audience. That's never a bunch of teenagers.

My politics? I'm tempted to say " Somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan ", but that would be facetious. And a joke. Whatever line I follow can not be deduced by my taste in modern music, and neither is it relevant or permitted on here, so that's the end of that.

I'll plead guilty to the sweeping brush strokes, as that's what I posted. Whether I meant it in all seriousness, well that's another matter entirely. No matter what era or musical style you can think of, it's not possible for it all to be brilliant, nor for it all to be rubbish. I love the 70s to bits, and by heavens there was some execrable stuff released in that decade.

Time for one of my favourite quotes: " I disagree totally with what you have said, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hmmm. Undoubtedly I'm more comfortable playing Black Lace and 70's Glam Rock, but since todays teens don't want that, I find I have to play what they want. On many occasions I have found that playing their requests results in total apathy, and they're only asking for it to appear cool.

As to profanities and risque lyrics, well we've had those for many many years, but it appears to me nowadays that songs rely on foul language and misogynistic lyrics to the exclusion of any craft and substance. Before you get the impression that I'm a prude, I have no problems playing tracks containing swearing, as long as there's a good reason for it, and to the right audience. That's never a bunch of teenagers.

My politics? I'm tempted to say " Somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan ", but that would be facetious. And a joke. Whatever line I follow can not be deduced by my taste in modern music, and neither is it relevant or permitted on here, so that's the end of that.

I'll plead guilty to the sweeping brush strokes, as that's what I posted. Whether I meant it in all seriousness, well that's another matter entirely. No matter what era or musical style you can think of, it's not possible for it all to be brilliant, nor for it all to be rubbish. I love the 70s to bits, and by heavens there was some execrable stuff released in that decade.

Time for one of my favourite quotes: " I disagree totally with what you have said, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. "

Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Blimey I didn't mean to start an argument!! Thanks for all the non political replies

Quote Originally Posted by little al View Post
    Blimey I didn't mean to start an argument!! Thanks for all the non political replies
    If there was ever a thread OP that I'd be certain would be tame and not result in verbal fisticuffs then this would have been it! Just goes to show what I know!!
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!