Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please - Paypal sucks.

I have never accepted PayPal either. Bank transfer, cheque or cash for me.

I am thinking of getting a machine to accept cards, face to face or over the phone. Bulking at the 2.75% fee for each transaction though.

I like PayPal personally.
    If you've set up a payment form / button on your website then there won't be mistakes with email address.

To avoid lots of fees I say deposit via PayPal is free but please add 3% if paying your balance this way (it's 3.5% +20p I think) anyway 9/10 they change there minds and pay bank transfer or cash.
    I think it's worth the fees as everybody trusts PayPal and it's very easy, I always pay that way if I can with other items.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    To avoid lots of fees I say deposit via PayPal is free but please add 3% if paying your balance this way (it's 3.5% +20p I think) anyway 9/10 they change there minds and pay bank transfer or cash.
    As has been pointed out recently on another website, adding PayPal fees on top of the amount chargeable is against PayPal's terms and conditions (as you've pointed out - it's puts people off from using this method), so you do have to be careful with how you describe what you're charging the customer for if you do this.

I accept paypal, but I always give people the options to pay by BAC's or Cheque in advance or Cash or Cheque on the night (and I am revisiting this policy). I've only had a couple of people opt for PayPal so far all the others have used cheque or bank transfer.

Something called ZAPP is coming soon which could change all this - it's basically a quick and easy way of initiating bank transfers using mobile banking apps without either party having to expose their bank account details and it's built on top of the whole BAC's system. It also carries much lower fees than PayPal. Scheduled for launch to the general web early 2015...

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I use paypal as its an easy way to get in deposits and lets me take card payments. Yes some gets gobbled up but ill live
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    As has been pointed out recently on another website, adding PayPal fees on top of the amount chargeable is against PayPal's terms and conditions (as you've pointed out - it's puts people off from using this method), so you do have to be careful with how you describe what you're charging the customer for if you do this.

Julian
    I think a way around this is to increase your prices and then do a discount for payments via BACS etc...
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    I think a way around this is to increase your prices and then do a discount for payments via BACS etc...
    I wouldn't even consider such a practice

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    I wouldn't even consider such a practice
    ..and of course neither would Telco's, cable companies or energy providers.... Not with Paypal of course, but you get the idea.

http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I'm aware of this, I think we may be taking this too seriously though as I've seen large companies clearly stating a surcharge for using PayPal (Parcel2Go).
    To be safe I only mention this in emails and private conversations, but lets be honest they're hardly going to be chasing the little men like us on such a silly thing - why is it their decision how we charge our customers? I personally think they were foolish to even insert such a ludicrous condition!

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Right - if person who transfers money actually has it in her paypal account - cancellation usually occurs withing 24 hours.

If she has a zero balance and funds is transfered to there paypal via card or bank account, this can take upto 30 working days!

Hope it makes it clearer

As for Paypal fees - apart from cash/cheques there are always fees to pay - just with casn n cheques you got petrol/parking costs to put in bank
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    I'm aware of this, I think we may be taking this too seriously though as I've seen large companies clearly stating a surcharge for using PayPal (Parcel2Go).
    !
    Yup - I got stung an extra £3 last night using the Travelodge booking system. The big boys are all at it!
    Law of sod though says it'd be me that got caught if I put a surcharge on which specifically said it was paying by PayPal, so ALL quotes that go out of the door assume that's how the client's going to pay.