Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TERMS AND CONDITIONS (and discussion)

Default TERMS AND CONDITIONS (and discussion)

On other forums I've shared terms and conditions with other DJs privately before. I just thought we could try something different on this thread. How about we each post a clause from our T&C's below? And those starting out may find it useful in cherry picking any of them to use in their own T&C's. Feel free to post more than one as the thread grows, and at a later date I'll compile any posted into a new thread. :-)

Also, feel free to offer comments and opinions on any clause being posted - but please keep it constructive.

Aditionally, please highlight the clause in bold, or place it in a quote (as below) so we can see at a glance what is discussion and what is a T&C.

--------------------------------------
    Ok, I'll start. This clause was added as a precaution against clients wanting to dictate the whole evenings music, which (for me) would hinder the way I work and the kind of service I provide. To date, no client has ever questioned it.

CREATIVE CONTROL
    The client grants to the Performer complete creative control with respect to the music programming, with the following exceptions:
    - If the Client and the Performer have agreed upon the inclusion of [up to 40 songs] and/or exclusion [unlimited] of specific musical selections and/or types of music, the Performer will, to the best of his ability, comply.
    - If Children are in attendance, the Performer reserves the right to exclude any pre-agreed musical selections that may contain content that could reasonably be considered to be inappropriate.
    - Wherever possible, the Performer will try to incorporate as many musical requests from the guests at the event, if deemed by the Performer to be appropriate and complement the structure, flow and ambiance of the performance.

Feel free to discuss the clause above, and/or add your own T&C extract below.
    Last edited by Shaun; 29-08-2014 at 12:19 PM.

And another...

POWER, SPACE & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS:
    The Client agrees to ensure the availability of a minimum of two 13amp electrical circuit wall outlets within ten (10) metres of his set-up area within the venue. The performer also requires a minimum unobstructed and even-surfaced hard floor or carpeted floor space of [width] 2.5 metres - [depth] 2.5 metres. And a working height of 2 metres. The client agrees to ensure that the electrical outlets and DJ set-up area are adequate and safe for the performers use. We reserve the right to terminate our services in the event of unsafe and dangerous working conditions.

Ok, anyone else willing to add to this thread?
    Last edited by Shaun; 29-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Here's one from mine.

Parking and additional charges.
    Please ensure a suitable parking space is available for your DJ for the length of time required.
    If there is no parking available next to the venue you must inform UK Party DJ.
    If no parking is available and UK Party DJ has not been made aware of any parking difficulties you will either be charged the cost of parking and/or your start time may be delayed.
    Double yellow lines, time limited parking or residents only areas do not count as possible parking spaces unless a permit is provided or the time limits allow parking from setup time to pack away time, if no other option is provided and no warning given you will be responsible for re-reimbursing the cost of any fines.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

Quote Originally Posted by ukpartydj View Post
    Here's one from mine.
    Thanks for sharing.

Another...

ACCESS TIMES:
    The Client agrees that the performer shall have unobstructed access to the venue and performance area a minimum of sixty (60) minutes prior to the agreed performance start time to set up equipment. Whilst we understand that access times can vary or run later on the day, the performer cannot be help responsible for late starts caused by access restrictions or other factors outside his control. Set-up times may also vary depending on the logistics of the venue. The Performer must also be permitted a minimum of forty five (45) minutes after event to dissemble and remove equipment.

Haven't got time to enter fully into this discussion, but here's another one to mull over.
    Payment in advance. It's stated on my T&Cs that although I accept payment on the night, it must be made before I kick off. Like a certain Scottish member, my clients seemed to prefer it, it suited me too, and I wasn't fussed if they paid at the end. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

However, recent events have caused me to reconsider this policy, again like the Scottish member, who I shall not name, because I can do without Shaun gloating and saying " told you I was right". I've had a couple of slow/late payments, but all resolved satisfactorily. The main one which has prompted this, was " the cancellation that never was ", where a client cancelled the gig a month in advance, but managed to bypass all the safeguards, and email an address which didn't actually get to me.

I don't want to change my policy, as I feel it shows trust between both sides, but my it's been sorely tested lately. Fire away folks.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I don't want to change my policy, as I feel it shows trust between both sides, but my it's been sorely tested lately. Fire away folks.
    I've had a couple of bookings where clients have tried to amend my pay in advance terms to pay on the night - after asking them if the venue, caterers etc were also being paid on the night (which they grudgingly admitted weren't) I told them if they don't trust me then they shouldn't be hiring me so I wouldn't be taking their booking . Mentally I was saying 'who the hell are you to dictate my business terms to me?'

Agree totally Martin.
    I had this same scenario in my meeting on Thursday night with my Bride & Groom for next Friday.
    The Groom said "Can we sort out the payment before you play so I don't have to worry about sorting it out later in case I forget?"

I told him that it was for that reason that the Terms & Conditions stated that payment was due 7 days before the function. I also put it to them that doing it that way meant that I didn't have to bother them on the night and distract them from enjoying their night.
    I was more or less thinking the same as you though when I was saying it.

The Terms & Conditions are there for a reason and I won't change them to suit everyone else. They need to suit me. If people don't read them then that's their problem but I bet they do read them if they think they can get something back out from you.

Anyone else care to share a random clause from their T&C's? Hopefully we can build up a comprehensive list that will be helpful to new DJs (and maybe even some of the long term ones too).

Cool thread. I'll share something down the line.

My t's and c's are pretty comprehensive - if Scotland breaks into civil war post independence I'm sorted