Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HK Audio Lucas Nano 600

Quote Originally Posted by paulg View Post
    The only downside is that the Nano relies on amps built into the sub unit. If this part fails, you're knackered. 5 year warranty or not, if it breaks at a gig you have a big problem. Usually though, HK stuff is quite reliable.
    ...which is extactly what happened to me the weekend before last, running 2 nanos linked with stereo jack to jack.
    Even with high vaulted ceiling, 2 running together sounded absolutely fantastic.... then and hour into guests arriving the 2 tops on 1 "side" just suddenly stopped working! The remaining daytime - background music & speeches plus a 30min live set from moi - had to run through 2bass + 2 tops (as opposed to 2 bass +4tops), with the bass EQ'd down.

It still coped well although even with EQ down it was a bit too thumpy for my ear. It *might* have just scraped through for disco the 120-150 rowdy guests...but the ceiling in the venue was quite high...
    Thankfully I had time to swap the nanos with my good old Mackies for the evening. (Mrs Wife was able to bring them to the venue (15mins from home.))

The dealer has kindly given me a new amp/bass unit, which worked AOK with original tops (suggesting it's an amp issue), while HK investigate. If I'd had 1 nano by itself for that gig, I'd have been stuffed.... ;-/. Pretty sure it's not my fault! LOL

All this said, the replacement Nano worked fine by itself this Saturday, for background & live jazz/swing in a small marquee and then later outside said marquee, where is sounded very nice indeed and a full sound carried quiet a distance.
    I'm using it again next Saturday for a compact 30-guest disco and will report further.

Yeah I'm looking at getting 2 a. for symmetry OCD and b. I'd not be able to relax at a gig with a single unit that could go.

I think I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that you're meant to use speakons from the sub to the tops, is that right? I assume it's XLRs into the sub?

Name:  2014-10-01_13.53.59_resized[1].jpg
Views: 807
Size:  96.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Yeah I'm looking at getting 2 a. for symmetry OCD and b. I'd not be able to relax at a gig with a single unit that could go.

I think I read somewhere (maybe even in this thread) that you're meant to use speakons from the sub to the tops, is that right? I assume it's XLRs into the sub?
    Don't know if this helps but because the sub is so tiny, it looks fairly balanced. Sorry about the over zealous use of smart phone camera effects. Yuk!

Yes, it's speakons for the sub to tops connections and XLR's into the sub.

Bit of a worry about reports of malfunctions - I've also seen a similar one on the web. These things are made in China rather than germany.

Anviers, don't worry about your English, it's fine.

Name:  2014-10-01_13.53.59_resized[1].jpg
Views: 807
Size:  96.5 KB

Don't know if this helps but because the sub is so tiny, it looks fairly balanced. Sorry about the over zealous use of smart phone camera effects. Yuk!

Yes, it's speakons for the sub to tops connections and XLR's into the sub.

Bit of a worry about reports of malfunctions - I've also seen a similar one on the web. These things are made in China rather than germany.

Anviers, don't worry about your English, it's fine.
    Was the truck really needed. you could put that sub in your pocket

I don't worry too much about online reports - I've used alto true sonic active's for a good while with absolutely no problem but there's tonnes of stories online about them blowing (probably through user error)

That does look like a sweet little set up but I'll still be picking up 2 just so I've got a backup - the facebook and twitter age is not one to be ruining someone's wedding or special party because you're speaker has blown and you've nothing in reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Was the truck really needed. you could put that sub in your pocket
    That's just there waiting to pick up my pay packet.

Actually, it was an after conference corporate gig for Mercedes with vehicles and other things on display, although that particular vehicle is a Mitsibushi. Two Nano's will be pretty good. I'd recommend that you buy some tall speaker poles to screw into the subs. The sound distribution is very much downwards so you'll get better coverage with a taller pole.

As an aside, I was approached by the caterer at the gig who also runs a rather nice pub restaurant nearby. He was very interested in the small set up (pictured) and in the Nano's sound delivery. In his words, an ideal set up for discos in his upstairs function room which holds 50-60 people and for me, it's easily carryable up stairs. Win, win. Hopefully, that puts any size angst to bed.

That's just there waiting to pick up my pay packet.

Actually, it was an after conference corporate gig for Mercedes with vehicles and other things on display, although that particular vehicle is a Mitsibushi. Two Nano's will be pretty good. I'd recommend that you buy some tall speaker poles to screw into the subs. The sound distribution is very much downwards so you'll get better coverage with a taller pole.

As an aside, I was approached by the caterer at the gig who also runs a rather nice pub restaurant nearby. He was very interested in the small set up (pictured) and in the Nano's sound delivery. In his words, an ideal set up for discos in his upstairs function room which holds 50-60 people and for me, it's easily carryable up stairs. Win, win. Hopefully, that puts any size angst to bed.
    Speaking of the speaker poles (no pun intended)

Can I just used any pole with an M20 thread or do I need the ones that come as part of the HK stand pack?

Any M20 is OK but as I say, the poles often don't extend as high as you might like. They're fine with a two or three foot tall speaker on top because the HF's are then quite high up. The satellites sit directly on top of the pole and are hence the HF is positioned quite low. The poles on my piccy are at their full extension and I reckon another 12-18 inches would put the satellites at a better height.

It's literally just struck me when thinking about mounting that the satellites could be fastened to the two upright lighting poles - perhaps a bit too low but what a compact set up would that be!!
    Last edited by paulg; 01-10-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Wonder what two subs and four tops would sound like ? It would certainly be good back up should one of the subs amps fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    Wonder what two subs and four tops would sound like ? It would certainly be good back up should one of the subs amps fail.
    That's what I'll be running. Just got a few more bits and bobs to suss out for how I wanted to use these with my lighting rig then I'll be ordering (probably early next wee)

Sorry for being dense but the logistics of the thing still kind of elude me -

How thick is the pole that screws into the sub? I'm thinking if O clamping a couple of light (weight wise) fixtures onto those for smaller gigs.

Also are the tops able to slot onto any standard speaker stand or do you need the special bracket that Thomann sells?

OK ignore that I can see you need the bracket which looks like it comes with it if you order the mono set.

K last question - exactly how does running it stereo vs mono change the sound? I get how stereo v mono works with a standard 2 speaker set up with one at either side of you but say I take 1 of these nanos and have it set up in stereo with the 2 tops separate, is there really going to be THAT noticeable a difference in sound given how close the speakers are to each other? What about the output, how would that be affected?