Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new sound system

Default Advice on new sound system

Hi all,

I had to sell my sound system 12 months ago to pay some unexpected bills (mackie 450s and 1501 sub) and almost had to retire from gigging having to hire whenever I had a gig and making very little money.
    I'm almost in the position to buy a new system, budget is around 1500 and am looking for recommendations as to what's hot and what's not at the moment. Gigs are mainly hotels and pubs playing to 150-200 max.
    I know we all have a different ear for sound so I will attempt a listening session before I buy but would just like some thoughts within my limited budget range, many thanks.
    Andy

Hi Andy.

I would guess one of the first questions is are you looking for a set up similar to what you sold previously, i.e. 1 sub 2 tops or would you prefer 2 quality tops( which still might struggle with audiences of 150/200) or more value for money and less quality 2 subs and two tops?

I've just purchased a quantity of speakers and found for the following at discounted prices from Thomann DE, Mackie v3 set, 2 x speakers, 2 x Mackie bags and 2 x speaker stands £760 inc delivery, the v3s have more power than the v2s and an onboard DSP Mackie HD1521 £1320 pair inc delivery, and Mackie HD1521 subs £660 each inc delivery. At the moment the HD1521s and the HD1501 subs are out of stock until the 20th of next month, but worth the wait, (I've got more on order myself) If you don't mind the weight and size a pair of HD1521s would make a great choice IMO, and you wouldn't need a sub.

450v3 bundle
    HD1521
    HD1501 subs
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

I'm open to suggestions really, some great ideas so far. I think I would prefer to have a sub or two however you have to remember that when I didn't use my sub my V1's didn't seem to produce anywhere near enough bass on their own so that's why I'd lean towards getting a sub or 2.
    Andy

Hi Andy,

What sort of budget do you have in mind? Knowing a ballpark figure might help our members in providing suggestions.

Hi Shaun, as my original post says, budget is limited to around 1500 max, cheers
    Andy

Doh! Apologies. It would help if I opened my eyes.

No problem haha
    Andy

While it isn't the best setting for sound testing BPM might be worth a visit to have a look and maybe narrow down your search.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Reminisce disco View Post
    . I think I would prefer to have a sub or two however you have to remember that when I didn't use my sub my V1's didn't seem to produce anywhere near enough bass on their own so that's why I'd lean towards getting a sub or 2.
    That's not surprising. One of our number is attempting to achieve something similar with two boxes. looky here

For four boxes at £1500, you've got around £350-£400 per box. Tops
    Subs are way trickier. The 15" Alto, and the 12" LD are in budget, but I'd not expect either to keep up with those RCFs. The 18" Altos and 15" Dbs are where that budget stops.
    However, if you're prepared to have just one sub, we can go up to match the tops. Here's a nice one

And one with
    good specs

If you must have two, the only way I can get near that budget is the way I went. two of these and a chuffing great secondhand Studiomaster amp I already had. Perhaps one active one might be an option.

I've heard the RCF tops many a time, and I own the passive LD subs. I also have an active Alto 15", but don't rate it highly. The others I'm unfamiliar with. Hope this helps.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk