Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on new sound system

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    Funny you say that I have used ONE 12 inch LD dave (V2) and 2 RCF 310's for four years now and it has been spot on even in marquees. I never knew that the 125 watt output from the LD would be so loud with the RCF's (128 SPL). If you have time on your hands you could get the LD Dave for £2-300 and the tops at £150-200 each. I have a second sub (3 in total) but have only ever needed the one.

I tested the Hisys for Peavey (Promobile 64) and was very impressed with that, especially the tops and the preset level switch on the back.
    That would come nicely in on budget. As per the above - Yamaha also a good bet.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=...50683395015776
    Watching this thread with interest.. I'm likely to be in the market for either a set of new (2nd hand) active speakers or a complete overhaul of some cheap knocked about a bit SRM450s (anybody know if new front grilles for SRM450s can be bought easily.. my google-fu is letting me down)

Interesting that the Peavey HiSys 10" model can go down to 59Hz.. though I hope that's a -10dB or better figure. Less than 14kg too...

Having worked quite a few times with even well worn SRM450s I have to say I like them a lot - but then I've not heard much else recently other than some Opera 510 speakers on somebody else's rig - and they really lacked low end compared to the Mackies (it might've just been EQ of course).

Quote Originally Posted by yourdj View Post
    I tested the Hisys for Peavey (Promobile 64) and was very impressed with that, especially the tops and the preset level switch on the back.
    That would come nicely in on budget. As per the above - Yamaha also a good bet.
    That review prompted me yo look at the Peaveys and now I've got 4 of the HiSys H12's and am very impressed with them. I use 2 in smaller venues and double up to 4 in bigger venues. I don't find I need subs at all and, given their sound/weight ratio (they are lighter than my old Peavey passives), they meet my needs for lighter, more manageable kit, which is now a necessity on health grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    That review prompted me yo look at the Peaveys and now I've got 4 of the HiSys H12's and am very impressed with them. I use 2 in smaller venues and double up to 4 in bigger venues. I don't find I need subs at all and, given their sound/weight ratio (they are lighter than my old Peavey passives), they meet my needs for lighter, more manageable kit, which is now a necessity on health grounds.
    Good - glad it helped. It was in my living room for over a month and I had hoped they had forgotten i had them as I really wanted to try them at a gig. If you are not too snooty about your sound, don't do large events and are happy that it all runs off one amp then I would strongly recommend the LD & RCF combination. my sub hides behind the booth so only the tops are on show.

V1 (V2 is a bit better): £170-300 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LD-Systems...item1e96af1f04
    RCF V3 (I HAVE V1's) (new): £200-£300 each - https://www.decks.co.uk/products/spe...-s0aatme8p8haq
    You will need back up LD Sub or two actives / AMP, But not had one issue in 5 years using this combination.
    Last edited by yourdj; 16-12-2014 at 12:29 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/

On another note, just a quick mention about the Mackie SRM450. I have the newer versions and they are spot on.
    I've also realised how tough they are. This was un-intentionally yesterday. I was moving my set up a few feet so that the room could be split for a conference today and I didn't have to pack up everything and go back. I accidentally knocked over one of the stands as I backed up and all I heard was a massive thud as the speaker and stand hit the floor. I thought the worst. Not a mark on the speaker and after taking it off the stand and testing it for around an hour, it's working as it always has been so I would recommend them definitely.

As far as replacement grills are concerned - Maybe it's worth contacting shops and suppliers to see if they have any knocking about which may have been slightly damaged in transit?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakermaker Promotions View Post
    On another note, just a quick mention about the Mackie SRM450. I have the newer versions and they are spot on.
    I've also realised how tough they are. This was un-intentionally yesterday. I was moving my set up a few feet so that the room could be split for a conference today and I didn't have to pack up everything and go back. I accidentally knocked over one of the stands as I backed up and all I heard was a massive thud as the speaker and stand hit the floor. I thought the worst. Not a mark on the speaker and after taking it off the stand and testing it for around an hour, it's working as it always has been so I would recommend them definitely.

As far as replacement grills are concerned - Maybe it's worth contacting shops and suppliers to see if they have any knocking about which may have been slightly damaged in transit?
    As for the SRM450s in need of new grilles. ... When I saw the reaction as I suggested I could probably pick up a pair in good nick for around £500 I lost interest. If something costs almost a grand new and has seen a fair bit of use I think half the new price is reasonable. Hey ho whatever. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some RCF ART315s closer to home too - I've seen a pair on Gumtree for under £400 but they're right at the bottom of the country (boo!).

Having seen positive things posted about Alto active tops I'm considering auditioning a pair of TS115As at my local disco shop in the new year nearer the time I'd be looking to start building my rig.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    As for the SRM450s in need of new grilles. ... When I saw the reaction as I suggested I could probably pick up a pair in good nick for around £500 I lost interest. If something costs almost a grand new and has seen a fair bit of use I think half the new price is reasonable. Hey ho whatever. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for some RCF ART315s closer to home too - I've seen a pair on Gumtree for under £400 but they're right at the bottom of the country (boo!).

Having seen positive things posted about Alto active tops I'm considering auditioning a pair of TS115As at my local disco shop in the new year nearer the time I'd be looking to start building my rig.

I'm selling a pair of Alto 15s just now if you fancy picking them up or spending a fortune on shipping

Great speakers for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post

You can buy a pair of Mackie SRM 450 V3's with a pair of decent stands, and a pair of genuine Mackie bags, PLUS a 3 year guarantee and free delivery for £775 from Thomann.de I would expect to be able to purchase a pair of S/H V2s in excellent nick for £350 or less. Personally I'd give Alto's and similar brands a wide berth, IMO, they're not in the same class.
    Last edited by Pe7e; 21-12-2014 at 01:14 AM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire