Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abba night

Quote Originally Posted by mattydj50 View Post
    Is it just you or is there a tribute band as well? My ABBA nights always have a band along, so I never have to play any ABBA themselves, usually just a big pile of 70s stuff.
    No tribute band just me (dressed up)
    thanks for all the song suggestions, will add them to my list.

Without wanting to put a fly in the ointment, I have done an Abba night previously (there may even be a thread on here thinking about it).

It was a hotel residency night, with the room full of either couples or small groups, the biggest group being a party of about 12.

I took the view that it would be predominantly Abba with complimentary 70's cheddar chucked in for good measure. Bee Gee's, December 63, Disco Inferno etc.

The night went well, busy dancefloor, nice comments etc, happy with my nights work...but two weeks later, got a complaint from the Hotel, saying I'd not played enough Abba and asked me to provide what I played on the night. Turns out I got through about 40 abba tracks, with about 50 non abba ones.

Now to most ordinary folks that would seem a fairly Abba heavy evening, and given the response from the majority of the crowd you'd think a complaint would be unlikely....but we're not dealing with ordinary folks....Abba fans, hardcore Abba fans who sometimes attend these events are a different breed...not neccessarily "70's" pop music fans, JUST ABBA....nowt else.

Just a word of warning. I guess the same could be applied to most gigs but you can't please everyone, and Abba fans are, in my one experience, harder to please than most

I'm an Abba fan, and that mix would have suited me down to the ground

But I know where you're coming from. I went to Sing-Alonga-Abba in London several years back (to be honest....didn't have a clue what to expect). Nice gig, four piece band in the proper get up.

What I wasn't expecting was the audience - real hard-core Abba in the full costume, and those who weren't were in glitter wigs.
    The couple next to me and the wife left at half time...it was quite scary