Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: How would you respond?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore the enquiry altogether.

0 0%
  • Offer quote acknowledging the budget.

13 44.83%
  • Offer quote ignoring the budget.

10 34.48%
  • "Sorry - you can't shop at John Lewis on a Poundstretcher budget!"

2 6.90%
  • Other.

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I have a budget" - How do you respond?

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Default "I have a budget" - How do you respond?

When you receive an email enquiry that contain the words "I have a budget of £X", and said budget is (more often than not) far lower than you would charge, what would your response be?

For every enquiry, I have a standard template that I reply with that gives details of what I do and it offers a quote on there. Sometimes I throw in a line about how that I cannot provide my service for their budget (I used to say sorry too, but I've stopped doing that), and why I can't, and other times I don't mention their budget at all (I'm trying to ascertain which method proves more successful - acknowledging the budget or ignoring it).

Not looking for advice - I am just curious as to how everyone else responds.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    ....other times I don't mention their budget at all (I'm trying to ascertain which method proves more successful).

Not looking for advice - I am just curious as to how everyone else responds.
    In most cases I tend not to mention their budget, I just mention what I can offer and state my price. I've tried all different kinds of responses over the years, from trying to sell myself on what I can offer, to explaining the reasons why cheaper isn't always better. My experience is if someone is set on their budget and it's lower than my fee, it's unlikely that I'm going to persuade them otherwise. The exception being when they've been to one of my events, or I've been recommended by someone to them.

I've never had an initial enquiry where the customer has stated their budget. Usually they ask if I'm available and what I charge.

More often than not I then need to ask a few more questions before I can give a quote (which is quite nice as you start chatting before costs are discussed).

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    I've never had an initial enquiry where the customer has stated their budget.
    Yeah, it's a rare question for direct enquiries. For the likes of NaD and the likes though, most state a budget.

One word: Procrustes.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

The only way I can see what their budget has a direct impact on your reply is if you offer various levels of kit or add ons? As been said I just state my fee and a brief write up of what they get for that. I'm struggling to recall any enquiry I've had when they have stated their budget from the off....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

If someone says "I have a budget of £xxx" and you reply "Sorry, I can't help you as your budget is too small" then that closes the door more than likely forever. You need to talk to the client, "build a bit of a rapport" as we'd say in sales. Ask them what there expections are, find out if that budget is rigid, ask them their favourite football team or band. Anything just to get a conversation going. It's very rare that budgets are totally rigid, although some people simply can't afford more, most have just set themselves a target of what they envisage spending or would like to spend. Once you've made them see how great you are, how you make their event so much better, and how you offer added value then they well find extra room in their budget. If they really can't find the extra, show a little empathy (not sympathy), a bit of understanding. Tell them you're sorry you can't help them this time. You can even suggest someone else who may do a good job within their budget. Do this and you'll win the client over on to your side and this opens up the potential of working with that client in the future if their circumstances change. Just never ever close the door at the first opportunity. If you do, that door will probably never be opened again.

But I'm in the camp of those DJs who've never had a client mention a set budget amount at the offset. I've had "We're on a tight budget" (isn't everyone these days?) but never a strict figure. It's all about how you handle this initial enquiry to keep the conversation going. Learn the art of "objection handling" and you'll soon see how people can be coaxed in to coming around to your way of thinking.

Incidentally, I've chosen "other" in the poll. This is because I would never completely ignore an enquiry and I certainly wouldn't quote but ignore the budget issue hoping it'll go away. I actually find this quite rude as, as the client has taken the trouble to mention it, then it is an issue to them. You need to handle objections never ignore them or sweep round them. The "offer quote while acknowledging budget" could, effectively, kill the discussion and negotiation dead in the water at the outset. I want to build rapport so I'll ask questions to find out more about what the client wants and use my sales training to the best of my ability. Only when that rapport is there would I even mention a price.
    Last edited by DazzyD; 25-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

I can normally accommodate budgets -

1/ different date (maybe a weekday instead)
    2/ no meeting beforehand
    3/ paid I'm advance and a cashback offer once reviews posted on a few selected sites - only when I'm feeling generous though.
    4/ different DJ - not something everybody can offer.

Dorset DJ - Dorset based DJ service
    11:11 EVENTS LTD - 11:11 EVENTS LTD

DazzyD - then you must be in the minority, but having said that have been talking to several djs in Grantham, Lincoln, Peterborough and they assure me the same, but in the country its very different.

Budget comes into 90% of new booking enquires and to be honest, I either reply sorry already booked that night or advise them to try eleswhere as there budget wouldnt even cover costs.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    DazzyD - then you must be in the minority, but having said that have been talking to several djs in Grantham, Lincoln, Peterborough and they assure me the same, but in the country its very different.

Budget comes into 90% of new booking enquires and to be honest, I either reply sorry already booked that night or advise them to try eleswhere as there budget wouldnt even cover costs.
    Maybe worth looking at your marketing, I can count on one hand the amount of clients I've had who have asked for any sort of reduction on fee....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk