Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Aluminium Truss for moving heads

Default Aluminium Truss for moving heads

Looking for a cheap supplier of Aluminium Truss, have uplights etc, and heads will not be very heavy.

Any ideas
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk
    www.facebook.com/discocouture

Quote Originally Posted by Attack the Dance Floor View Post
    Looking for a cheap supplier of Aluminium Truss, have uplights etc, and heads will not be very heavy.

Any ideas
    Hate to say it, but the cheapest supplier I've found so far for name brand Truss is Thomann (Global Truss and a couple of others).

There are other suppliers around and you also frequently see big lumps of second hand truss coming up after it's been pulled out of an install somewhere.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

I just picked up 2 x 1m and 2 x 1.75m aluminium tri truss with tops and bases for £300 second hand.
    You just need to keep an eye out on the various FB groups and jump in quick.

so you got tri over square?
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Yup. It's what was available and completes the look I was after quite nicely
    In fact since I started putting images of the new look out on social media and various other places, I've secured 2 bookings with a third under negotiation at the moment (seems lot of in your face flashy lights aren't the done thing for weddings this year)

Name:  10947213_1446170228938696_3486035371250874794_n.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  55.1 KB

And before anyone says it....the speakers don't go there normally. It was a pokey little room with no space. For future rooms of that size, they'll either go under the booth or swap places with the back trusses

Silly question time:

How stable is trussing like that with the base on? I'm just curious because of the surface area of the plate at the bottom. Obviously it won't be as steady as a tripod, but I'm assuming you're not always having kittens every time somebody goes near it...

I'd also assume that anything on top of a truss stand is fixed, even if it's only by one wingnut on a bolt should the worst happen.

I'm going for square truss, think it looks more stable but hey might be wrong.
    because I want to mount a power outlet and keep the cables tidy i'll probably make some wood bases that have a large footprint - and will be attaching the light to the top rather than placing on a shelf. Think they'll be a pain to transport but will look the part
    Andy P
    Disco Couture

www.discocouture.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juski View Post
    Silly question time:

How stable is trussing like that with the base on? I'm just curious because of the surface area of the plate at the bottom. Obviously it won't be as steady as a tripod, but I'm assuming you're not always having kittens every time somebody goes near it...

I'd also assume that anything on top of a truss stand is fixed, even if it's only by one wingnut on a bolt should the worst happen.
    You can get plinths with a wider base and, obviously, the wider the base, the stabler (is that an actual word?) it is.

As for on top, generally nothing is fixed on (unless you make steps to do it yourself). To be fair, by the time the plinth goes over, your light will be going with it - fixed or not. I'd rather it unfixed to stand a chance of saving it.

You can also buy stage weights to go inside the truss.