Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: How would you respond?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore the enquiry altogether.

0 0%
  • Offer quote acknowledging the budget.

13 44.83%
  • Offer quote ignoring the budget.

10 34.48%
  • "Sorry - you can't shop at John Lewis on a Poundstretcher budget!"

2 6.90%
  • Other.

4 13.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "I have a budget" - How do you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Maybe worth looking at your marketing, I can count on one hand the amount of clients I've had who have asked for any sort of reduction on fee....
    Not really - just not prepared to go out at a loss - round here djs are everywhere and only a limited amount of venues - i let them go out for £30.00 or £40.00 a nite that people want to pay - in fact round here pubs will only pay £50.00 - they can have that work.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    DazzyD - then you must be in the minority, but having said that have been talking to several djs in Grantham, Lincoln, Peterborough and they assure me the same, but in the country its very different.

Budget comes into 90% of new booking enquires and to be honest, I either reply sorry already booked that night or advise them to try eleswhere as there budget wouldnt even cover costs.
    Just to clarify, Mr Creature. I didn't say people don't mention they're on a budget. I said that they don't come to me with an exact figure. I had an enquiry yesterday which said "We're on a tight budget" and, later in the conversation, she said she thought my price was "extremely reasonable". I made her an offer which I was very happy with and so was she so we nailed it. It's all about the negotiation. I know I harp on about but building rapport, or trust and understanding if you like, with a potential client is the single best move you can make. No client will do business with someone they don't trust. But I see a lot of clients ask a DJ "how much do you charge for xxx" and then the DJ comes back instantly with a figure. Where's the personal touch in that? When has the DJ taken the time to find out exactly what the client's wants and needs are? I'm not suggesting you should become your client's new best friend but building relationships is the only way to do, and to succeed in, business.
    Dazzy D
    Lightning Disco & Entertainment

Born to make you party!

If people have a budget which is way lower than I would be charging, then I just send a polite 'can't help you this time, but good luck' type email. I don't waste my time trying to persuade people to up their budget.

I have actually had people come back and ask me to quote and then they have booked too! Some people are just trying it on...

I might try that in PC World later......

I am interested in an iPad but only have a £200 budget!

Why is it always the DJ that gets budgeted? Its never the caterers or a band. Is it because they think its just a part time job for us, so can take the hit?

I don't think it is just dj's that are subject to budget constraints at all. Many caterers offer different priced menus, brides may not be able to afford the dress they would really like, many have to settle for cava instead of champagne etc etc
    Banana Power Travelling Discotheque - legendary entertainment since 1966
    www.facebook.com/BananaPowerTravellingDisco

Quote Originally Posted by theoloyla View Post
    I don't think it is just dj's that are subject to budget constraints at all. Many caterers offer different priced menus, brides may not be able to afford the dress they would really like, many have to settle for cava instead of champagne etc etc
    Yes, but a caterer will be able to give a varying price per head for what they offer, tthe customer may go for a higher offer that cuts the budget down overall. Likewise if they spend more on their outfit and drinks choises, its always the budget for the DJ that reflects this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    I might try that in PC World later......

I am interested in an iPad but only have a £200 budget!
    And hence Galaxy was formed....
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Not really - just not prepared to go out at a loss - round here djs are everywhere and only a limited amount of venues - i let them go out for £30.00 or £40.00 a nite that people want to pay - in fact round here pubs will only pay £50.00 - they can have that work.
    yawn.... Most if not pretty much every DJ is very poor on their marketing. Not hard to stand out from the rest.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    yawn.... Most if not pretty much every DJ is very poor on their marketing. Not hard to stand out from the rest.
    Or just being crap DJ's / business people. Some (well a lot) of DJ's don't deserve to earn more if you ask me with shocking set ups, customer service and general unprofessional working habits. If everyone believed Dave Reed, you could rock out the skytecs and start charging £600 without any improvements whatsoever in approach.

Although you have to up you prices if you have not been asked for a reduced fee.
    I get it quite often where people will fish for a discount even after meeting me "rand ere"
    £500 for 4 hours £600 for 5 pricing. Thats where free optional extras (like battery uplighting) come in handy.

Everyone likes a discount or to be made to feel they are getting a good deal so I don't see the problem.
    I often help people out if they are genuinely on a budget (i.e. crap hall etc.) as i know lots of decent local guys.
    If they have a nice venue booked and a honeymoon in the Seychelles then good luck to them. they are not my clients from the start.
    Last edited by yourdj; 29-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    Your DJ - Mobile DJ The New Forest, Southampton & Hampshire. Toby
    https://yourdj.co.uk/