Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

View Poll Results: How would you respond?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ignore the enquiry altogether.

0 0%
  • Offer quote acknowledging the budget.

13 44.83%
  • Offer quote ignoring the budget.

10 34.48%
  • "Sorry - you can't shop at John Lewis on a Poundstretcher budget!"

2 6.90%
  • Other.

4 13.79%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "I have a budget" - How do you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by little al View Post
    Why is it always the DJ that gets budgeted? Its never the caterers or a band. Is it because they think its just a part time job for us, so can take the hit?
    Its because Djs are the last thing on there lists. So all the monies been allocated.

Even when you try to explain to most how smoth you can make there happy day flow ect - I don't expect things to change much tho.

In fact some DJ's themselves often do the same thing for there big day/events

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    yawn.... Most if not pretty much every DJ is very poor on their marketing. Not hard to stand out from the rest.
    For city work thgis is very true, when I was working in Peterborough, Gantham ect - never had an issue with pricing or people wanting you cheap as possible, (Which I know longer do) but out in the sticks things work differently.
    new website domain name... http://www.dejavuroadshow.tk/

This has come up from time to time. I make sure my hours are covered then look at equipment levels for the gig. Also suggest they adjust either hours or equipment which always ends up in equipment being adjusted.
    Not common as I say but a handful of times over the years.

I realy do think some people are fly with the whole I got quoted Buttons from the venue and I am trying to book for peanunts myself. I mean folk wanting a DJ for less that 100 quid that the venue quoted to them for a sat night for a engagment. I am sorry but my Sat nights are worth more than 100 quid and I am not going to sell myself short.

charitys fair enough I can come and go with as long as they aint a sat night.

latest enquirys i have had have been shocking. people calling at 1 am asking fro quotes and some right idiots out there.

Quote Originally Posted by scott23 View Post
    I realy do think some people are fly with the whole I got quoted Buttons from the venue and I am trying to book for peanunts myself. I mean folk wanting a DJ for less that 100 quid that the venue quoted to them for a sat night for a engagment. I am sorry but my Sat nights are worth more than 100 quid and I am not going to sell myself short.

charitys fair enough I can come and go with as long as they aint a sat night.

latest enquirys i have had have been shocking. people calling at 1 am asking fro quotes and some right idiots out there.
    If you keep getting enquiries from clients that aren’t your target (either budget, location or type of event) then you need to review your marketing.

Where are they getting your number from?

Quote Originally Posted by funkymook View Post
    If you keep getting enquiries from clients that aren’t your target (either budget, location or type of event) then you need to review your marketing.

Where are they getting your number from?
    They are all from online, either google search or gumtree!

TBH the enquiries I mostly get from online are fine with location and type of event, just some you feel like they are chancers trying to get something for nothing or next to nothing.

I once had an hour long one to one with a marketing guru. His first question was what was my target market; which was high end weddings. In the first five minutes he totally trashed my website and made me think carefully about the photos and videos I showed. Now my site only shows the high end venues with guests dressed appropriately. The result is I very rarely get a real budget enquiry. Occasionally I get someone trying to beat the price down, but I reply with sorry but that is my standard price and for that you will get etc etc etc. I've never lost anyone yet! You've got to bear in mind that a large number of clients start with an unrealistic budget because they have never booked a DJ before and it is up to us to explain why we are worth the extra £££ (and not by negative marketing either).

Someone mentioned bands. Having run AMPband for a while now, bands have got exactly the same problem as us. Believe it or not there are many 4 and 5 piece wedding bands charging less than some of the wedding DJs on here!
    Sandy

Blonde, dizzy and no longer available
    www.sandysounds.co.uk
    www.sandysoundsweddingdisco.com

I used to get emails regarding budget quite a bit, not sure sure if that's due to the area I was working in, but always sold my service keeping their budget in mind. Managed to close the deal most of the time.

The majority of the time it would be a little less than what I would normally charge (£50-£70 reduction) but took out less equipment which made setting up and packing away quicker. The lack of equipment was not of any interest to the clients. Would just be 2 or 3 led lights with minimal programming.

Did learn a lot back then and hope to change how I market myself later in the year.